How to edit and reduce the size of .MP4 files

In summary, editing and reducing the size of .MP4 files can be done through various methods such as using video editing software, converting the file to a different format, or adjusting the video resolution and bitrate. These methods can help decrease the file size without compromising the quality of the video. Additionally, removing unnecessary scenes or compressing the audio can also significantly reduce the file size. It is important to consider the purpose of the video and the desired quality before choosing a method to edit and reduce the size of .MP4 files.
yungman
TL;DR Summary
Want to find a link to reduce the size of a .MP4 file.
Hi

Anyone can give me a safe link to reduce the size of .MP4 file ( of cause reduce quality). Also any program to cut and paste .MP4 files...Like editing the video?

I saw some when I google, I want to play it safe and get links from here where people have experience with.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
For linux, there is the general video editing program pitivi http://www.pitivi.org/

You can reformat .MP4 files using the command line program ffmpeg.

Both programs have a "learning curve". I don't know of any video editing program where the interface is completely intuitive.

Likes robphy
Stephen Tashi said:
For linux, there is the general video editing program pitivi http://www.pitivi.org/

You can reformat .MP4 files using the command line program ffmpeg.

Both programs have a "learning curve". I don't know of any video editing program where the interface is completely intuitive.
I am doing it on a laptop, so the linux is out. I saw some programs when I google, I don't dare to use them, I rather come here to ask to get something safe.

Thanks

Do a Google search with the keywords "reduce mp4 video size online". You will get several sites. No need to install any software.

How about this program:

Wrichik Basu said:
Do a Google search with the keywords "reduce mp4 video size online". You will get several sites. No need to install any software.
Do you have a site that you know it's safe? I don't want to invite virus.

Thanks

yungman said:
I am doing it on a laptop, so the linux is out. I saw some programs when I google, I don't dare to use them, I rather come here to ask to get something safe.

Thanks
You can run Linux on a laptop. You can run it on a laptop that also runs Windows. If you would like to try that, I think it would be safe enough if you were to start by running a Live Ubuntu from a USB device ##-## here's a link to further information on that: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started ##-## just in case you might prefer a different-from-Ubuntu 'distro', you could maybe do a search on: best Linux live . . .

Last edited:
Likes yungman
yungman said:

Thanks
For Windows, Linux, or OSX, OpenShot Video Editor is safe, free, and open source ##-## https://openshot.org

Second vote for ffmpeg.
I run it on windows from the command line.
I also use Audacity on Windows, which uses ffmpeg as a plugin.

yungman said:

Thanks
I haven't done something like that before. So cannot recommend any specific website.

1. How do I edit a .MP4 file?

To edit a .MP4 file, you will need video editing software. Some popular options include Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, and iMovie. These programs allow you to import your .MP4 file, make edits such as cutting and rearranging clips, adding transitions and effects, and exporting the final edited version.

2. What is the best way to reduce the size of a .MP4 file?

The best way to reduce the size of a .MP4 file is by compressing it. This can be done using video compression software or by adjusting the export settings in your video editing program. Common compression methods include reducing the resolution, frame rate, or bit rate of the video. However, this may result in a loss of video quality, so it is important to find a balance between file size and quality.

3. Can I edit and reduce the size of a .MP4 file without losing quality?

It is possible to edit and reduce the size of a .MP4 file without losing quality, but it depends on the editing and compression methods used. If you only make minor edits and use a high-quality compression method, the loss of quality may be minimal. However, if you make significant edits and use a low-quality compression method, there may be a noticeable decrease in video quality.

4. How long does it take to edit and reduce the size of a .MP4 file?

The time it takes to edit and reduce the size of a .MP4 file depends on the length and complexity of the video, as well as the speed of your computer and software. It may take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to complete the process.

5. Can I edit and reduce the size of a .MP4 file on a mobile device?

Yes, there are video editing apps available for mobile devices that allow you to edit and compress .MP4 files. However, the capabilities and quality may be limited compared to using a computer. It is also important to consider the storage capacity and processing power of your device when attempting to edit and reduce the size of a .MP4 file.