How Do You Calculate the Normalized Frequency for a Multimode Fiber?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the normalized frequency for a multimode fiber. The formula is provided and the numbers are plugged in, resulting in an incorrect answer of 167. This is compared to the actual answer of 84 and it is noted that it should be a factor of 2. The individual mentions using old exams to practice and checking their answers with solutions, but the solutions only provide the formula and answer.
Bananen
Hi,

I'm having trouble calculating the normalized frequency for a multimode fiber. Here's the formula:

V=(2π/λ)⋅a⋅√(n12-n22)

where λ=900 nm, a=200μm, n1=1.460, n2=1.455

Here's how I plug in the numbers:

V=(2π/(900*10-9))⋅(200*10-6)⋅√(1.4602-1.4552)=167This is an easy calculation I know that, but I get the wrong answer. It's supposed to be 84 but I get 167 which is obviously far away from the real answer. I don't understand what I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the answer is 168.57... , so either the formula, the numbers or the supposed result are wrong. Since 84=168/2, it should be a matter of a factor of 2.

On my first attempt at calculating V I also get what you did. So that leads me to ask how you know it's supposed to be 84.

Thank you, yes something must be wrong. It's very strange! But thank you for your answer.

Pixel: I'm doing old exams in preparation for my own so I calculate exam problems and checking my answers by looking at the solutions. They don't write the numbers out just the formula and then the answer so it's not very helpful

1. What is frequency calculation fiber?

Frequency calculation fiber is a type of fiber optic cable that is used in scientific experiments and data transmission. It is designed to accurately measure and transmit signals at specific frequencies.

2. How does frequency calculation fiber work?

Frequency calculation fiber works by using the principle of total internal reflection to transmit light signals at specific frequencies. The fiber is made of a core material with a high refractive index surrounded by a cladding material with a lower refractive index. This allows the light signals to be contained and transmitted along the fiber without significant loss of signal strength.

3. What are the applications of frequency calculation fiber?

Frequency calculation fiber is commonly used in scientific research and experiments, such as in spectroscopy and laser measurements. It is also used in telecommunications and data transmission, as it allows for the accurate transfer of signals over long distances.

4. How is the frequency of a signal measured using frequency calculation fiber?

The frequency of a signal can be measured using frequency calculation fiber by sending the signal through the fiber and analyzing the resulting output. The fiber is designed to accurately transmit signals at specific frequencies, so any changes or distortions in the signal can be measured and used to calculate the original frequency.

5. What are the advantages of using frequency calculation fiber?

There are several advantages to using frequency calculation fiber, including its high accuracy in transmitting signals at specific frequencies, its ability to transmit signals over long distances without significant loss, and its versatility in various scientific and technological applications. Additionally, it is less susceptible to interference and signal degradation compared to other types of cables, making it a reliable choice for precise measurements and data transmission.