Frequency of Vibration of Two Masses Joined by a Spring

In summary: I tried setting them equal to each other $$-m_1A\omega ^2cos(\omega t)=m_2B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$ But I end up with $$-m_1A=m_2B$$ I don't know what I can do after this.
flamespirit919

Homework Statement

Two masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## are joined by a spring of spring constant ##k##. Show that the frequency of vibration of these masses along the line connecting them is:
$$\omega =\sqrt{\frac{k(m1+m2)}{m1m2}}$$

Homework Equations

##x(t)=Acos(\omega t)##
##\omega =\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}##
##m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=-kx##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have that the distance traveled by ##m_1## can be represented by the function ##x_1(t)=Acos(\omega t)## and similarly for the distance traveled by ##m_2## is ##x_2(t)=Bcos(\omega t)##. The force the spring exerts on these two masses is ##−kx_n(t)=m_n\frac{d^2x_n}{dt^2}##. But I have no idea how to relate these functions. Plugging in the values I get the two functions $$-kAcos(\omega t)=-m_1A\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$ $$-kBcos(\omega t)=-m_2B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$

Simplifying I get $$k=m_1\omega ^2$$ $$k=m_2\omega^2$$
But, then I don't know what to do after this or if I am even in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
flamespirit919 said:
The force the spring exerts on these two masses is ##−kx_n(t)=m_n\frac{d^2x_n}{dt^2}##.
You are taking the force on m1 to be -kx1. But the elongation of the spring depends on both x1 and x2, not just x1.

Suppose you say that ##m_1## is displaced to the right by amount ##x_1## from equilibrium and that ##m_2## is also displaced to the right by amount ##x_2## from equilibrium. What is the amount by which the spring is stretched or compressed from equilibrium? Can you write a differential equation of motion for each mass (Newton's 2nd law)?

kuruman said:
Suppose you say that ##m_1## is displaced to the right by amount ##x_1## from equilibrium and that ##m_2## is also displaced to the right by amount ##x_2## from equilibrium. What is the amount by which the spring is stretched or compressed from equilibrium? Can you write a differential equation of motion for each mass (Newton's 2nd law)?
So would it be $$-k(x_1+x_2)=(m_1+m_2)(\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}+\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2})$$$$-k(Acos(\omega t)+Bcos(\omega t)=(m_1+m_2)(-A\omega ^2cos(\omega t)-B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$ Which simplifies to $$k=\omega ^2 (m_1+m_2)$$ But, what can I do with this? Or did I go about this the wrong way?

flamespirit919 said:
So would it be $$
-k(x_1+x_2)=(m_1+m_2)(\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}+\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2})$$ ...
No. If, say, ##x_1## = 3 cm and ##x_2 = 5## cm, would the spring be stretched by 8 cm? Draw a picture to scale, first with the spring in equilibrium and then redraw it with one end displaced by 3 units to the right and the other by 5 units also to the right. By how many units is the spring stretched? Knowing the stretching of the spring from equilibrium, gives you the force on each mass. Write separate differential equations for each mass.

kuruman said:
No. If, say, ##x_1## = 3 cm and ##x_2 = 5## cm, would the spring be stretched by 8 cm? Draw a picture to scale, first with the spring in equilibrium and then redraw it with one end displaced by 3 units to the right and the other by 5 units also to the right. By how many units is the spring stretched? Knowing the stretching of the spring from equilibrium, gives you the force on each mass. Write separate differential equations for each mass.
The spring would be stretched by 2 units. Would the equations then be $$-k(x_2-x_1)=m_1\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}$$$$-k(x_2-x_1)=m_2\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}$$

flamespirit919 said:
The spring would be stretched by 2 units. Would the equations then be $$-k(x_2-x_1)=m_1\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}$$$$-k(x_2-x_1)=m_2\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}$$
Almost. Does the force of the spring on m1 have the same direction as the force on m2?

TSny said:
Almost. Does the force of the spring on m1 have the same direction as the force on m2?
No, so would it be $$k(x_2-x_1)=m_1\frac{d^2x_1}{dt^2}$$$$-k(x_2-x_1)=m_2\frac{d^2x_2}{dt^2}$$ Assuming that ##m_1## is on the left and ##m_2## is on the right.

Last edited:
Looks like some typos in your latest equations on the left side. Please check to see if you typed them the way you wanted.

TSny said:
Looks like some typos in your latest equations on the left side. Please check to see if you typed them the way you wanted.
Whoops. They should be fixed now.

Looks good. Can you see a way to solve these equations?

TSny said:
Looks good. Can you see a way to solve these equations?
I tried setting them equal to each other $$-m_1A\omega ^2cos(\omega t)=m_2B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$ But I end up with $$-m_1A=m_2B$$ I don't know what I can do after this.

flamespirit919 said:
I tried setting them equal to each other $$-m_1A\omega ^2cos(\omega t)=m_2B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$ But I end up with $$-m_1A=m_2B$$
OK. This gives you a relation between A and B in the assumptions x1 = Acosωt and x2 = Bcosωt. Try to combine this result with the first differential equation k(x2 - x1) = m1d2x1/dt2.

TSny said:
OK. This gives you a relation between A and B in the assumptions x1 = Acosωt and x2 = Bcosωt. Try to combine this result with the first differential equation k(x2 - x1) = m1d2x1/dt2.
Thank you! I wasn't sure which equation to plug the values into. Here's what I did $$k(Bcos(\omega t)-Acos(\omega t))=-m_1A\omega ^2cos(wt)$$$$k(Bcos(\omega t)+\frac{m_2B}{m_1}cos(\omega t)=m_2B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$$$kBcos(\omega t)(1+\frac{m_2}{m_1})=m_2B\omega ^2cos(\omega t)$$$$k(1+\frac{m_2}{m_1})=m_2\omega ^2$$$$k(m_1+m_2)=m_1m_2\omega ^2$$$$\omega ^2=\frac{k(m_1+m_2)}{m_1m_2}$$$$\omega =\sqrt{\frac{k(m_1+m_2)}{m_1m_2}}$$Did I do all my math right?

Let ##x_1<x_2## be coordinates of masses ##m_1,m_2## respectively. Then
##m_2\ddot x_2=-(x_2-x_1-l)k,\quad m_1\ddot x_1=(x_2-x_1-l)k##, here ##l## is the length of relaxed spring. Divide each equation by corresponding mass and subtract the second equation from the first one
##\ddot\xi=-(k/m_2+k/m_1)\xi+const,\quad \xi=x_2-x_1## so that ##\omega^2=
k/m_2+k/m_1##

flamespirit919 said:
Did I do all my math right?
Yes, I believe so.

Note that in your approach, you assumed x1 and x2 have time dependences of cosωt. That might be OK.

@zwierz shows how to get a differential equation that directly gives you the frequency without having to make any prior assumptions about the nature of the motion.

1. What is the concept of "frequency of vibration" in the context of two masses joined by a spring?

The frequency of vibration refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles that occur per unit of time in a system consisting of two masses joined by a spring. It is a measure of how quickly the masses move back and forth relative to each other.

2. How is the frequency of vibration calculated for a system with two masses joined by a spring?

The frequency of vibration can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π) * √(k/m), where f is the frequency in hertz, k is the spring constant, and m is the reduced mass of the system.

3. What factors affect the frequency of vibration in a system with two masses joined by a spring?

The frequency of vibration is affected by the stiffness of the spring (k), the mass of the two masses (m), and the initial displacement or amplitude of the oscillations. Additionally, the presence of external forces or damping can also affect the frequency of vibration.

4. How does the frequency of vibration change when the stiffness of the spring is increased?

As the stiffness of the spring (k) is increased, the frequency of vibration also increases. This is because a stiffer spring requires more force to compress or stretch, resulting in faster oscillations between the two masses.

5. Can the frequency of vibration be altered by changing the masses in the system?

Yes, the frequency of vibration can be altered by changing the masses in the system. As the mass (m) is increased, the frequency of vibration decreases, and vice versa. This is because a heavier mass requires more force to accelerate, resulting in slower oscillations.