Solve a system of two linked harmonic oscillators

In summary: Oh I see now. I actually got that the accelerations are zero from the Hamiltonian. So then if I integrate I get two solutions which I then substitute in the eom above and end up with two equations and two unknowns.Yes, you should first find the solutions and then substitute them in the equation.
YellowBiro
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
$$m_1 \ddot{x} - m_1 g + \frac{k(d-l)}{d}x=0$$
$$m_2 \ddot{y} - m_2 \omega^2 y + \frac{k(d-l)}{d}y=0$$

It is two masses connected by a spring. ##d=\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}## and ##l## is the length of the relaxed spring (a constant).

What is the strategy to solve such a system? I tried substituting one in the other and got

$$y m_1\ddot{x} -m_1gy=xm_2\ddot{y}-m_2\omega^2 yx$$

I don't know how to continue from here. Can you maybe keep one coordinate constant and solve for the other? Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Also the question in the exam says, "Determine the two equilibrium solutions" but I presume, you first have to find the solutions first, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please give a diagram showing the coordinate system, the spring, etc., with the different symbols marked in the diagram?

Chandra Prayaga said:
Could you please give a diagram showing the coordinate system, the spring, etc., with the different symbols marked in the diagram?

yko5n

See nothing ! Just an

Last edited:
Yes. Now I see
0qidsNU.png

and a whole lot of imgur crud. The equations make a little more sense now.

YellowBiro said:
I presume, you first have to find the solutions
You assume wrongly. Try to solve ##x## and ##y## from ##\ \ \ddot x = 0 \land \ddot y = 0##

Attachments

• 0qidsNU.png
    0qidsNU.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 498
BvU said:
Yes. Now I see
View attachment 219023
and a whole lot of imgur crud. The equations make a little more sense now.

You assume wrongly. Try to solve ##x## and ##y## from ##\ \ \ddot x = 0 \land \ddot y = 0##

Oh I see now. I actually got that the accelerations are zero from the Hamiltonian. So then if I integrate I get two solutions which I then substitute in the eom above and end up with two equations and two unknowns.

1. What is a system of two linked harmonic oscillators?

A system of two linked harmonic oscillators refers to a physical system in which two objects are connected by a spring or a similar elastic material and are able to oscillate back and forth around their equilibrium positions. This system can be described using mathematical equations and is commonly used in studying vibrations and waves.

2. How do you solve a system of two linked harmonic oscillators?

The most common method for solving a system of two linked harmonic oscillators is to use the equations of motion for each oscillator, which are based on Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law. These equations can be solved simultaneously to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of each oscillator at any given time.

3. What are the properties of a system of two linked harmonic oscillators?

A system of two linked harmonic oscillators has several key properties, including a constant period of oscillation, a sinusoidal motion, and a constant amplitude. It also exhibits energy conservation, meaning that the total energy of the system remains constant throughout the oscillation.

4. How does the amplitude of one oscillator affect the other in a system of two linked harmonic oscillators?

The amplitude of one oscillator in a system of two linked harmonic oscillators can affect the amplitude of the other through the transfer of energy. When the two oscillators are in phase, meaning they reach their maximum displacement at the same time, the amplitude of one oscillator will increase as the other decreases. When they are out of phase, the amplitude of one oscillator will decrease as the other increases.

5. What are some real-world examples of a system of two linked harmonic oscillators?

One common example of a system of two linked harmonic oscillators is a simple pendulum, in which a weight is attached to a string or rod and is able to swing back and forth. Another example is a mass-spring system, in which a mass attached to a spring is able to oscillate on a horizontal or vertical surface. These systems are also used in musical instruments, such as a guitar string or a tuning fork.