Friction between cart and a surface covered with a liquid?

In summary: Why? Friction is the resistance to the motion of two surfaces rubbing together. Rolling resistance is the resistance of a rolling object to move forward.
Phys112
<< Thread moved from the technical forums so no Homework Help Template is shown >>

Hello,

I'm attempting an experiment where I take a cart and slide it down a ramp. Each time, I will coat the ramp with a different liquid. I want to compare the effects of the dry ramp, a ramp with water poured on it, syrup/honey poured on it, etc. I can't find much information on this type of physics so I'm wondering if there are any equations I can use to help me show the math behind my data.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Phys112 said:
Hello,

I'm attempting an experiment where I take a cart and slide it down a ramp. Each time, I will coat the ramp with a different liquid. I want to compare the effects of the dry ramp, a ramp with water poured on it, syrup/honey poured on it, etc. I can't find much information on this type of physics so I'm wondering if there are any equations I can use to help me show the math behind my data.

Thank you
Welcome to the PF.

Can you say what you have found so far about changes in friction and in the viscious nature and thickness of this liquid coating? What have you found so far?

Also, is this for schoolwork or for a school lab experiment?

This is for a school experiment, but it isn't assigned by the teacher, it's up to us to design an experiment. I haven't done the experiment yet, as I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to find the mathematical stuff to write a full paper on this :smile::smile:

Okay, then I'll move it to our schoolwork forums where it belongs, and you can post what you find in your reading about the effects of different liquids on friction and viscosity.

So to start, what would be the difference in the cart's final speed at the bottom of the ramp if the ramp had a very thin coating of a very low friction material like Tefloe, versus a thick coating of syrup, versus no coating at all? Assume the ramp and wheels are both wood, so normal behavior would be for the wheels to turn as the cart rolls down the ramp...

berkeman said:
Okay, then I'll move it to our schoolwork forums where it belongs, and you can post what you find in your reading about the effects of different liquids on friction and viscosity.

So to start, what would be the difference in the cart's final speed at the bottom of the ramp if the ramp had a very thin coating of a very low friction material like Tefloe, versus a thick coating of syrup, versus no coating at all? Assume the ramp and wheels are both wood, so normal behavior would be for the wheels to turn as the cart rolls down the ramp...
Well I know the velocity will be greater for the low friction material. (I'm unsure as to whether a ramp with water would make the cart go faster than a dry one). And the syrup one would go much slower.

Phys112 said:
Well I know the velocity will be greater for the low friction material. (I'm unsure as to whether a ramp with water would make the cart go faster than a dry one). And the syrup one would go much slower.
Will the cart's speed be faster or slower if the wheels spin or slip? Why? Can you show us the math?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a cart on a surface covered with a liquid?

Friction between a cart and a surface covered with a liquid can decrease the speed of the cart, making it more difficult to move. This is because the liquid creates a barrier between the cart and the surface, resulting in more friction.

3. How does the type of liquid affect friction between a cart and a surface?

The type of liquid can greatly affect the amount of friction between a cart and a surface. For example, a thicker and more viscous liquid, like honey, will create more friction compared to a thinner and less viscous liquid, like water.

4. Can friction between a cart and a surface covered with a liquid be reduced?

Yes, friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil, to create a slippery layer between the cart and the surface. This reduces the amount of contact between the two surfaces, resulting in less friction.

5. Why is friction between a cart and a surface covered with a liquid important to understand?

Understanding friction between a cart and a surface covered with a liquid is important because it can affect the efficiency and speed of the cart's motion. It is also important in industries that involve moving objects on liquid-covered surfaces, such as shipping or transportation of goods.