Question on calculated friction force between a ramp and a cart

In summary: I'm assuming it will be covered later?In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a friction experiment and provides a summary of the general procedure used to collect the acceleration data. The conversation also includes the equations used to calculate the friction force and a discussion about the sign errors and torsional friction. The conclusion is reached that the friction force between the ramp and wheels is approximately 0.009N and that the torsional friction will be covered in a future class.
JackSac67
I have a question regarding a friction experiment, so here's what I have so far:

Homework Statement

Calculate the approximate force of friction between the wheels of a cart and a ramp it is rolling on by only using the cart's mass and different values of acceleration up and down the ramp. Here was the general procedure used to collect the acceleration data:

1. Hold cart at rest directly before the sensor on the ramp that will calculate acceleration, then give it a little push so it rolls up the ramp past the sensor. Do this five times and average the value of deceleration.

2. Hold cart at rest directly above the sensor on the ramp that will calculate acceleration, then let it go so it begins rolling down the ramp and past the sensor. Do this five times and average the value of acceleration.

Cart's mass = .265kg
Cart's acceleration on the way down the ramp = .369m/s^2
Cart's acceleration on the way up the ramp = -.435m/s^2

Homework Equations

By choosing the acceleration of the cart down the ramp as the positive direction:

ƩFx as the cart rolls down the ramp = .265(9.8)sinθ - Ff = .265(.365)
ƩFx as the cart rolls up the ramp = .265(9.8)sinθ + Ff = .265(-.435)

The Attempt at a Solution

Subtracting the bottom equation from the top equation yields:

-2Ff = .265(.804)
Ff = -.107N (Rounding to significant figures)

Now my question deals with that resultant friction force. I was confused as to why the force came out negative, but unless I made an error somewhere, I think I have an idea as to why. Because the wheels of the cart and the ramp never changed, the coefficient of friction between them stayed constant. And because the mass of the cart never changed, the normal force exerted on the cart stayed the same, and thus there is a constant normal force and coefficient of friction during both runs of the experiment, so the friction force in both runs of the experiment was the same. Because of this fact, must I consider Ff between the ramp and cart as |Ff|, i.e. the sign doesn't matter in this context? This would make sense to me, because I would expect an very small force of friction to act on small, smooth wheels of a cart. If anyone can confirm or help me understand this better, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have some sign errors. For gravity, you have consistently put down as positive, which is fine. But your two acceleration measures are taken in opposite directions. Clearly, the actual acceleration was positive down ramp in each case, but you are showing the up ramp acceleration is negative, so it must have been measured in the direction of movement. Correct the sign of that and you will find the frictional force is positive.

Btw, the question is misleading. Even if the two accelerations were the same there would be a frictional force on the wheels from the ramp, but it would be directed up the ramp and be of equal magnitude in both cases. (With no friction, the wheels would rotate at constant speed.) The reason they are not the same is torsional friction at the wheels' axles. If the torsional friction is τ and the wheels' radius is r, this leads to an extra frictional force at the ramp of τ/r, opposing direction of movement of the cart.
So the frictional force between ramp and wheels is:
- without torsional friction: F, always up the ramp
- with torsional friction, going up: F-τ/r up the ramp
- with torsional friction, going down: F+τ/r up the ramp
What you are calculating is τ/r (multiplied by number of wheels).
The magnitude of F depends on the moment of inertia of the wheels.

haruspex said:
You have some sign errors. For gravity, you have consistently put down as positive, which is fine. But your two acceleration measures are taken in opposite directions. Clearly, the actual acceleration was positive down ramp in each case, but you are showing the up ramp acceleration is negative, so it must have been measured in the direction of movement. Correct the sign of that and you will find the frictional force is positive.

Btw, the question is misleading. Even if the two accelerations were the same there would be a frictional force on the wheels from the ramp, but it would be directed up the ramp and be of equal magnitude in both cases. (With no friction, the wheels would rotate at constant speed.) The reason they are not the same is torsional friction at the wheels' axles. If the torsional friction is τ and the wheels' radius is r, this leads to an extra frictional force at the ramp of τ/r, opposing direction of movement of the cart.
So the frictional force between ramp and wheels is:
- without torsional friction: F, always up the ramp
- with torsional friction, going up: F-τ/r up the ramp
- with torsional friction, going down: F+τ/r up the ramp
What you are calculating is τ/r (multiplied by number of wheels).
The magnitude of F depends on the moment of inertia of the wheels.

Ah, I see now. I forgot I had to keep the direction of acceleration consistent for both equations. In that case I found Ff to be approximately .009N, which certainly makes more sense as a friction force between a smooth ramp and small smooth wheels. I understand what you're saying in regards to the torsional friction, but my class hasn't yet talked about these forces.

Related to Question on calculated friction force between a ramp and a cart

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that resists the motion of an object as it moves across a surface. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is friction force calculated?

Friction force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object. The normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object in a direction perpendicular to the surface.

3. What factors affect the friction force between a ramp and a cart?

The friction force between a ramp and a cart is affected by the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, the weight of the cart, and the angle of the ramp.

4. How does the angle of the ramp impact the friction force?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the friction force will be. This is because the normal force increases as the angle of the ramp increases, resulting in a higher friction force.

5. Why is friction force important to consider when studying the motion of objects?

Friction force plays a crucial role in determining the motion of objects. It can either help to slow down or stop an object's motion, or it can be harnessed to increase an object's speed or control its movement. Understanding friction force is important for designing efficient machines and predicting how objects will behave in various environments.