Frictional toruq of a brake disc

• Thread starter donniemateno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brake Disc
In summary, the conversation discussed the specifications of a brake disc and the process of finding its frictional torque, work done per minute, and heat energy generated per second. The formula used was total braking force per disc = n x U x P x A (n), with the added need for an angular momentum formula. The conversation also touched on the use of kinematics and the importance of finding the deceleration and distance traveled by the spinning wheel.
donniemateno
im struggling abit with this question. i have a formula but it doesn't really go with my question

a brake disc has the following specification
mean radius 0.16m
force applied to each pad 5045N
U = 0.35
brake disc rotational speed is 550rev/min

work out its frictional torque
work done a min by this torque
heat energy generated pers second

i science for motor vehicle engineers by peter twigg and the book has a very similar example. but it has a brake cycliner in the equation which i dne have and hydraulic oil pressure.

i have the formula total braking force per disc = n x U x P x A (n)

in my case i take that to be 550 x 0.35 x 5.045Kn x 0.16

this gives me 155N of frictional torque per disc.
am i going along the right sort of lines or am i using the completely wrong forumla?
looking around a lot fo other examples have time bt as i dnt have this I am abit lost.
any help would be very much appriated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
you might need an angular momentum formula.

ive been looking for a forumula to use bt I am nt sure what one.

well would you like the answer or guidance?
Basically you want to plot out what it is you are trying to use your formula for.

basically we have the force of friction given to us with the applied force and the U value.

so we need to figure out the deceleration of the spinning wheel. The deceleration will be a negative angular acceleration. Its currently traveling 9 revolutions per second, so you want to find the change in revolutions per second.

This is where it might get a little bit tricky. I believe you will have to use a kinematics formula to find out the distance(in a straight line) that the wheel has travelled. This is because Work = Force x Distance. So what I would do is fine the angular acceleration using your knowledge of torque and hopefully the Moment of Inertia(which you should be aware of). Then with that acceleration figure out the distance traveled if you have an intial speed of 9 rps, and the perimeter of the disk is 2*pi*r, the speed in metres per second will be the rps * perimeter. You are also going to have to find the deceleration of the wheel and plug into d = v(initial)*t + (at^2)/2 where your time is 60 seconds your initial speed is 9 * 2*pi*r and your acceleration is your angular acceleration * perimeter.

This sounds like I'm not explaining it very well. So let me know if something is unclear

Remember you want to find the frictional torque which is just Force of Friction * radius
You want to find the work done in a minute which is Force * distance
And you want to find energy lost per second to the friction, which is equal to the heat energy if we assume the sound energy is negilgible(which it pretty much is)

1. What is the purpose of frictional torque in a brake disc?

The frictional torque in a brake disc is responsible for slowing down or stopping the rotation of a vehicle's wheels. It is created when the brake pads come into contact with the brake disc and exert a force of friction, generating a torque that opposes the rotation of the disc.

2. How is the frictional torque of a brake disc calculated?

The frictional torque of a brake disc is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the brake pads and disc with the normal force applied by the brake pads on the disc. This value is then multiplied by the radius of the disc to get the final torque value.

3. What factors can affect the frictional torque of a brake disc?

The frictional torque of a brake disc can be affected by factors such as the condition of the brake pads and disc, the amount of force applied by the brake pads, the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, and the speed at which the disc is rotating.

4. How does the frictional torque of a brake disc affect braking performance?

The higher the frictional torque of a brake disc, the more effective the braking performance will be. This is because a higher torque value means there is a stronger force opposing the rotation of the disc, resulting in a quicker and more efficient stop.

5. What are some common signs of a malfunctioning frictional torque in a brake disc?

Some common signs of a malfunctioning frictional torque in a brake disc include squeaking or grinding noises when applying the brakes, a vibrating or pulsating brake pedal, and longer stopping distances. It is important to have these issues addressed immediately to ensure the safety and functionality of the vehicle's braking system.