Fringe spacing of the Interference pattern due to two Coherent waves

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving interference/fringe width. The person is having trouble starting the problem and is questioning the significance of the spacing between the wave-lines. They also mention the use of equations for fringe width and phase differences. The other person clarifies that they do not provide solutions and encourages the person to review their previous knowledge or seek help from other sources.
Baibhab Bose
Homework Statement
In the attached image.
Relevant Equations
formulas of fringe width and phase differences I think.
Homework Statement: In the attached image.
Homework Equations: formulas of fringe width and phase differences I think.

It has been a long time since I have dealt with these kinds of interference/fringewidth problem, I can't figure out a way to start solving this problem. I was thinking about what the spacing between each of these wave-lines signify, and exactly which of them would create the pattern. Because of its oblique incidence, each wave would individually create patterns, so how do the two patterns make a final one?i think the fringewidth of the final pattern is asked here!

Attachments

• New Doc 2019-08-25 15.32.58.jpg
    New Doc 2019-08-25 15.32.58.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 187
Physics news on Phys.org
Baibhab Bose said:
Because of its oblique incidence, each wave would individually create patterns
No. What makes you think that ?
Equations: formulas of fringe width and phase differences I think.
Way PF works is that you list the relevant equations and post an attempt at solution.
So re-read your old stuff or read up from some other source...
We don't give classes you missed or forgot and we don't do your homework -- it would only rob you from the rxercise...

Likes Baibhab Bose

What is the concept of fringe spacing in an interference pattern?

The fringe spacing in an interference pattern refers to the distance between adjacent bright or dark fringes on a screen when two coherent waves interfere with each other. It is determined by the wavelength of the waves and the distance between the sources of the waves.

How is the fringe spacing calculated?

The fringe spacing, also known as the fringe width, can be calculated using the formula:

d = λL/D

where d is the fringe spacing, λ is the wavelength of the waves, L is the distance between the sources, and D is the distance between the sources and the screen.

What is the effect of changing the distance between the sources on the fringe spacing?

Changing the distance between the sources of the coherent waves will change the fringe spacing. As the distance between the sources increases, the fringe spacing decreases, and vice versa. This is because the path difference between the waves also changes with the distance between the sources.

How does the wavelength of the waves affect the fringe spacing?

The wavelength of the waves has a direct impact on the fringe spacing. As the wavelength increases, the fringe spacing also increases. This is because the wavelength is directly proportional to the distance between the adjacent fringes. Therefore, a longer wavelength will result in a larger fringe spacing.

What is the significance of fringe spacing in interference patterns?

The fringe spacing plays a crucial role in determining the patterns observed in interference experiments. It helps in understanding the nature of light as a wave and provides valuable information about the sources of the waves. Additionally, by measuring the fringe spacing, the wavelength of the waves can also be determined, making it an essential tool in various scientific experiments and applications.