Frobenius method and Euler equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a second-order homogeneous linear differential equation using the Frobenius method and finding the appropriate expression for a_n by solving the indicial equation. The conversation also mentions the importance of solving for \sigma and the significance of the left term in the equation for n>1 in determining a_n.
Pablo815
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this one.

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution of the second-order homogeneous lineal differential equation

[itex] x^2y'' + xy' - y = 0[/itex]

taking in account that [itex] x = 0 [/itex] is a regular singular point and performing a power series expansion.

Homework Equations

[itex] x^2y'' + xy' - y = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that the equation given is an Euler equation, but the question asks for a power series solution, so i tried with the Frobenius method. Assuming there is at least one solution with the form [itex] y = x^\sigma\sum{a_nx^n} [/itex].

First, I divide the whole differential equation by [itex] x^2[/itex]. Then I substitute the expression above so I get

[itex]\sum{(n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)a_nx^{n+\sigma-2}} + \frac{1}{x}\sum{(n+\sigma)a_nx^{n+\sigma-1}}-\frac{1}{x^2}\sum{a_nx^{n+\sigma}} [/itex]

And now, dividing by [itex] x^{\sigma-2} [/itex], I get

[itex] \sum{((n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)+(n+\sigma) - 1})a_nx^n [/itex]

Now I don't know how to find the recurrence relation I'm looking for in order to find the form of [itex] a_n [/itex]. In all the examples I've been able to find, in the last expression one always finds terms of [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex], for example, but here I don't know how to continue.

Did I do something wrong? I tried to follow the steps given in my textbook. I'm confused because I believe the equation given fits the requeriments needed in order to the Frobenius method to be applicable, but this happens to me every time I try to solve an Euler equation using it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have overlooked an important step. You haven't solved for [itex]\sigma[/itex]. A general power series can start at any power of n but if that power is larger than 0, we can always factor out a power of x, [itex]x^{\sigma}[/itex] so that our sum does start with a non-zero [itex]a_n[/itex] term. Taking the very first term, the n= 0 term, we get the "indicial equation" to solve for [itex]\sigma[/itex]. What must [itex]\sigma[/itex] b in order that [itex]a_0\ne 0[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
You have overlooked an important step. You haven't solved for [itex]\sigma[/itex]. A general power series can start at any power of n but if that power is larger than 0, we can always factor out a power of x, [itex]x^{\sigma}[/itex] so that our sum does start with a non-zero [itex]a_n[/itex] term. Taking the very first term, the n= 0 term, we get the "indicial equation" to solve for [itex]\sigma[/itex]. What must [itex]\sigma[/itex] b in order that [itex]a_0\ne 0[/itex]?

So the indicial equation is

[itex] \sigma^2 - 1 = 0 [/itex]

For which I get [itex]\sigma = \pm 1[/itex]

So one of the solutions would have the form [itex] y = x\sum{a_nx^n} [/itex]. But I still don't know how to find an appropriate expression for [itex]a_n[/itex].

Pablo815 said:
So the indicial equation is

[itex] \sigma^2 - 1 = 0 [/itex]

For which I get [itex]\sigma = \pm 1[/itex]

So one of the solutions would have the form [itex] y = x\sum{a_nx^n} [/itex]. But I still don't know how to find an appropriate expression for [itex]a_n[/itex].

For ##n \geq 1## you need
[tex]((n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)+(n+\sigma) - 1)a_n = 0 [/tex]
What does this tell you?

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
For ##n \geq 1## you need
[tex]((n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)+(n+\sigma) - 1)a_n = 0 [/tex]
What does this tell you?

Oh, I think I see it. For [itex] n>1 [/itex] the left term is not going to vanish, so, would it be [itex] a_n = 0 [/itex] for all [itex] n>1 [/itex]?

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with regular singular points. It involves representing the solution to the ODE as a power series and finding the coefficients of the series through a recursive algorithm.

2. How is the Frobenius method different from other methods of solving ODEs?

The Frobenius method is specifically designed to solve ODEs with regular singular points, while other methods such as separation of variables and variation of parameters are more general and can be applied to a wider range of ODEs. The Frobenius method is also more systematic and involves finding a series solution, rather than an explicit formula.

3. What are Euler equations?

Euler equations are a set of second-order ODEs that arise in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving fluid mechanics and rigid body dynamics. They are named after the mathematician Leonhard Euler, who first studied them in the 18th century.

4. Can the Frobenius method be applied to all types of Euler equations?

No, the Frobenius method can only be applied to a specific type of Euler equations known as homogeneous Euler equations. These are equations in which all terms have the same degree of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

5. What are some practical applications of the Frobenius method and Euler equations?

The Frobenius method and Euler equations have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of fluid flow, structural mechanics, and heat transfer. They are also used in the analysis of mathematical models in economics, biology, and other fields.