Frobenius Method When Initial Value of A Sum is not 1

In summary, in this equation 36x^2y''+(5-9x^2)y=0, the first term is 36x^2y''+(5-9x^2)y=0, the second term is 36x^2(s+1)(s+1-1)y=0, the third term is 36x^2(s+1)(s+1+2)y=-9x^2(s+1)(s+1+2), and the fourth term is 36x^2(s+1)(s+1+2)y=-9x^2(s+1)(s+1+2). So in summary, the fourth term is
PatsyTy

Homework Statement

Solve

\begin{equation*}
36x^2y''+(5-9x^2)y=0
\end{equation*}

using the Frobenius method

Homework Equations

Assume a solution of the form

\begin{equation*}
y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_nx^{n+s}}
\end{equation*}

then

\begin{equation*}
y''=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+s)(n+s-1)a_nx^{n+s-2}}
\end{equation*}

The Attempt at a Solution

I substitute the expanded forms of ##y## and ##y''## into the D.E

\begin{equation*}
36x^2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+s)(n+s-1)a_nx^{n+s-2}}+5 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_nx^{n+s}} -9x^2 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_nx^{n+s}} =0
\end{equation*}

and put the terms of ##x## into the sums

\begin{equation*}
36 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+s)(n+s-1)a_nx^{n+s}}+5 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_nx^{n+s}} -9\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_nx^{n+s+2}} =0
\end{equation*}

I then modify the last term so that the ##x## factor is ##x^{n+s}##

\begin{equation*}
36 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+s)(n+s-1)a_nx^{n+s}}+5 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_nx^{n+s}} -9\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{a_{n-2}x^{n+s}} =0
\end{equation*}

This is where I get confused, the last term starts at ##n=2##, all the examples I have seen have their highest starting value for a sum equal to ##n=1##, in those cases I would comine the terms with the sum starting at ##n=0## and take out the first term of ##n=0## resulting in the indicial equation multiplied by ##a_o## which I would use to solve the D.E. Now however I have an extra term, just to be clear below is how I have found the indicial equation:

\begin{equation*}
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{[36(n+s)(n+s-1)+5]a_nx^{n+s}}-9\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{a_{n-2}x^{n+s}}=0 \\
[36(s)(s-1)+5]a_0x^s+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{[36(n+s)(n+s-1)+5]a_nx^{n+s}}-9\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{a_{n-2}x^{n+s}}=0
\end{equation*}

So I have my indicial equation but I can't combine the second and third terms together because their initial values don't match. I'm not sure if I should pull out the ##n=1## term on the second term so I can create a recursion relation to use however I am not sure what to do with that term I pull out.

Also a somewhat unrelated question, in this course we are also working with the Legendre D.Es and Bessel's equations, would I be able to solve both of these using the forbenius method? Or do I need some other techniques?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PatsyTy said:
I'm not sure if I should pull out the n=1 term on the second term so I can create a recursion relation to use
Yes.
PatsyTy said:
I am not sure what to do with that term I pull out.
What would you do with the n=0 term?

Likes PatsyTy
haruspex said:
Yes.

What would you do with the n=0 term?

Thanks for the reply. For the n=0 term since we can't assume ##a_0=0## then we have to find a value for ##s## that eliminates the ##a_0## term. I get ##s=\frac{5}{6}## and ##s=\frac{1}{6}##. I assume then I would do the same for the ##n=1## term. Below I have my equation with the ##n=1## taken out

\begin{equation*}
(36s(s-1)+5)a_0x^s+(36s(s+1)+5)a_1x^{s+1}+\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{\big[(36(n+s)(n+s-1)+5)a_nx^{n+s}-9a_{n-2}x^{n+s}\big]}
\end{equation*}

Thinking about this wouldn't this mean that the only possible values for ##s## would be common roots of the ##n=0## term and the ##n=1## term? This is the only way we could garuntee that the terms including ##a_0## and ##a_1## would equal zero. The issue now is I don't have a common ##s## value for the ##n=0## and ##n=1## terms. For ##n=0## I have ##s=\frac{5}{6}## and ##s=\frac{1}{6}## and for ##n=1## I have ##s=-\frac{5}{6}## and ##s=-\frac{1}{6}##. Does this mean I have made an error somewhere in my calculation or is there something I don't understand?

PatsyTy said:
For the n=0 term since we can't assume ##a_0=0##
Right, because of the way s is defined.
PatsyTy said:
I assume then I would do the same for the ##n=1## term.
Why would the same restriction apply to that term?

haruspex said:
Right, because of the way s is defined.

Why would the same restriction apply to that term?

I didn't write it out in the equation above but that entire equation equals zero. From my understanding all the ##a_n## terms are unknown constants so the only way we can garuntee that this equation equals zero is if the ##s## portion of the terms equals zero.

Or do we define ##a_0## as zero and for any other ##a_n## where ##n>0## we can choose if it equals zero? Is there somewhere else in the equations that indicates that ##a_1## is zero? Would finding the recursion relations using ##s=\frac{5}{6}## and ##s={1}{6}## give an ##a_1=0## maybe? I'll try this out in the morning if it would help.

Reading my textbook it mentions that since ##a_0x^s## is the first term in the series we assume it is not zero but it doesn't say why, is there somewhere I could read up on why?

Sorry for all the questions, seems like once I figure something out five more questions arise.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

PatsyTy said:
I didn't write it out in the equation above but that entire equation equals zero. From my understanding all the ##a_n## terms are unknown constants so the only way we can garuntee that this equation equals zero is if the ##s## portion of the terms equals zero.

Or do we define ##a_0## as zero and for any other ##a_n## where ##n>0## we can choose if it equals zero? Is there somewhere else in the equations that indicates that ##a_1## is zero? Would finding the recursion relations using ##s=\frac{5}{6}## and ##s={1}{6}## give an ##a_1=0## maybe? I'll try this out in the morning if it would help.

Reading my textbook it mentions that since ##a_0x^s## is the first term in the series we assume it is not zero but it doesn't say why, is there somewhere I could read up on why?

Sorry for all the questions, seems like once I figure something out five more questions arise.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.
In the assumed form of the equation, s is defined to be the lowest power with a nonzero coefficient. Hence a0 is not zero. But any other coefficient can be zero.

1. What is the Frobenius method when the initial value of a sum is not 1?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to solve ordinary differential equations with a singular point at x=0. When the initial value of the sum is not 1, it means that the coefficient of the highest order term in the equation is not 1.

2. How is the Frobenius method different when the initial value is not 1?

When the initial value is not 1, the Frobenius method involves finding two linearly independent solutions instead of just one. This is because the coefficient of the highest order term affects the behavior of the solutions near the singular point.

3. Can the Frobenius method be used for any differential equation?

No, the Frobenius method is only applicable to certain types of differential equations, specifically those with a singular point at x=0. It cannot be used for equations with regular singular points or non-singular points.

4. What is the benefit of using the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method allows for the solution of differential equations with singular points, which cannot be solved using traditional methods. It also provides a more accurate solution for equations with irregular singular points compared to other approximation techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frobenius method?

Yes, the Frobenius method has limitations in that it can only be applied to equations with singular points at x=0 and cannot be used for equations with regular singular points or non-singular points. It also requires a significant amount of computational effort and may not always provide an exact solution.