From Computer Engineering to another field

In summary: It is possible to learn economics and computer science from textbooks, but you will need to be prepared to do some difficult mathematics. However, it is relatively easy compared to many other disciplines. It is possible to learn economics and computer science from textbooks, but you will need to be prepared to do some difficult mathematics. However, it is relatively easy compared to many other disciplines.
Bipolarity
I am soon going to be attending college where the only major I will follow is computer engineering (my college doesn't allow switching majors).

1) Once I complete my engineering degree, will I be able to pursue graduate school in economics/computer science? Or do I necessarily need a bachelor's in those fields to be considered for grad schools?

2) What about for the top ranked graduate schools in the US?

3) How easy is economics compared to computer engineering?

4) Can I pick up all economics,computer science and econometrics from textbooks off Amazon?

So far (I am a high school senior) I picked up my first book on micro and macro and it is fairly packed with some calculus. Yet I find it incredibly easy compared to physics,chemistry,analysis all of which I find to be significantly more difficult and time consuming.

5) Is economics really this easy? Or is it just that it's very low level economics that I'm doing right now?

6) What level of mathematics is needed for graduate level economics?

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
I am soon going to be attending college where the only major I will follow is computer engineering (my college doesn't allow switching majors)

BiP

...What kind of College or University doesn't let you switch majors? Maybe you should go to a different school. That sounds shady; also, there is no reason to get a degree in a field you don't like and then go back again for one you do want. This sounds like a mistake. Maybe I misunderstood you.

BorrgSentinel said:
...What kind of College or University doesn't let you switch majors? Maybe you should go to a different school. That sounds shady; also, there is no reason to get a degree in a field you don't like and then go back again for one you do want. This sounds like a mistake. Maybe I misunderstood you.

The Cooper Union. It's a professional engineering school.
But you haven't really answered my question :/
I am not worried about wasting my degree on a field I don't like. I'm worried about whether I will be able pick up the field that I do like from reading Amazon textbooks.

BiP

Related to From Computer Engineering to another field

1. What are the transferable skills from computer engineering to other fields?

Some of the transferable skills from computer engineering to other fields include problem-solving, critical thinking, analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with complex systems. These skills are valuable in a variety of industries, such as finance, healthcare, and education.

2. Can I switch to another field without any prior experience?

While having prior experience in the new field can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many employers value transferable skills and are willing to train individuals who are motivated and willing to learn. Additionally, computer engineering education provides a strong foundation for learning new skills and adapting to different industries.

3. Are there any specific fields that computer engineering graduates commonly transition to?

Computer engineering graduates often transition to fields such as software engineering, data science, information technology, and technical consulting. However, the skills gained from a computer engineering degree can be applied to a wide range of industries, allowing for flexibility in career paths.

4. How can I prepare for a career switch from computer engineering to another field?

To prepare for a career switch, it is important to research the field you are interested in and gain knowledge and skills relevant to that industry. This can include taking courses, attending workshops or conferences, and networking with professionals in the field. It can also be helpful to gain experience through internships or volunteer work.

5. Will I need to go back to school to switch to another field?

While going back to school can be beneficial in some cases, it is not always necessary to switch to another field. Many employers value transferable skills and are willing to provide on-the-job training. However, if you are interested in a specialized field, additional education or certifications may be required. It is important to research the specific requirements of the field you are interested in pursuing.