From density matrix, how can I know what state it belongs to

In summary, the entropy of a system is the sum of the partial entropies if it is in a sharp mode, otherwise it is zero.
munirah

Homework Statement

Given a density matrix of three qubit pure state, how can I know after do some transformation, this state belong to what class?. Class I mean here, either separable state, biseparable, GHZ state or W state?

I mean here what is the indicator to me classify it?
It is the indicator must has been done by measuring the state with certain measure?
If yes (mean have to measure it) , what the range that must be satisfy of each class (class-separable,biseparable, GHZ and W).

Please help me.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the definitions are relative to a particular factorization of the original "state" into factor "states".

(I enquote the word "state" because of it's philosophical baggage, and prefer the term "mode" indicating it represents a class of physical systems rather that representing the "state of the system")

Assuming a sharp mode initially then the total system will have 0 entropy. ([itex]S=-\kappa trace(\rho ln(\rho)[/itex]) If it is representative of a single tensor product of three sharp modes then you will note that the partial entropies for each factor system obtained from the reduced density matrices (partial traces over other factor systems of the composite density matrix) should also be zero. In general, even if the composite system is not in a sharp mode, if the composite entropy is the sum of the partial entropies then this indicates no information is lost by considering the system as three separate parts, i.e. there is no entanglement.

You can also check this in combinations. For system with factors A, B, and C tracing over C gives a reduced AB composite density operator and you can then compare the entropy of that composite to the further reduced factors of A and B each traced over C and the other.

I'm not sure about actually quantifying entanglement but this entropy comparison can allow qualifying its existence or absence. This may be helpful in answering your specific questions.

Likes munirah
jambaugh said:
Keep in mind that the definitions are relative to a particular factorization of the original "state" into factor "states".

(I enquote the word "state" because of it's philosophical baggage, and prefer the term "mode" indicating it represents a class of physical systems rather that representing the "state of the system")

Assuming a sharp mode initially then the total system will have 0 entropy. ([itex]S=-\kappa trace(\rho ln(\rho)[/itex]) If it is representative of a single tensor product of three sharp modes then you will note that the partial entropies for each factor system obtained from the reduced density matrices (partial traces over other factor systems of the composite density matrix) should also be zero. In general, even if the composite system is not in a sharp mode, if the composite entropy is the sum of the partial entropies then this indicates no information is lost by considering the system as three separate parts, i.e. there is no entanglement.

You can also check this in combinations. For system with factors A, B, and C tracing over C gives a reduced AB composite density operator and you can then compare the entropy of that composite to the further reduced factors of A and B each traced over C and the other.

I'm not sure about actually quantifying entanglement but this entropy comparison can allow qualifying its existence or absence. This may be helpful in answering your specific questions.
thank you so much .

1. How do I calculate the density matrix for a given quantum state?

The density matrix can be calculated by taking the outer product of the state vector with its conjugate transpose. This can be represented as ρ = |ψ><ψ|, where ρ is the density matrix and |ψ> is the state vector.

2. Can the density matrix be used to determine the purity of a quantum state?

Yes, the purity of a quantum state can be calculated using the trace of the density matrix. A higher purity indicates a more pure state, while a lower purity indicates a more mixed state.

3. How can I determine the eigenvalues of a density matrix?

The eigenvalues of a density matrix can be found by solving the characteristic equation det(ρ - λI) = 0, where ρ is the density matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. The eigenvalues represent the probabilities of measuring each eigenstate of the density matrix.

4. What information can be obtained from the diagonal elements of a density matrix?

The diagonal elements of a density matrix represent the probabilities of finding the system in each of the corresponding eigenstates. This information can be used to determine the state of the system and its purity.

5. Can the density matrix be used to describe classical systems?

Yes, the density matrix can be used to describe both classical and quantum systems. In classical systems, the density matrix is equivalent to a probability distribution, while in quantum systems, it represents the state of the system.