From Hot to Cool: A Change in Entropy

In summary, the net change in entropy Delta Ssys of the system from the time of mixing until the moment the ice completely melts is 0.084 J/K. This can be calculated by using the equations Ssys = Sice+Swater, Delta Sice = Qice/T, Qwater = -Qice (amount of heat lost to the ice), and Delta Swater = -Qice/T. The correct answer was found to be 0.084 J/K, which is different from the popular answer of 1200 J/K.
kristibella

Homework Statement

In a well-insulated calorimeter, 1.0 kg of water at 20o C is mixed with 1.0 g of ice at 0o C.

What is the net change in entropy Delta Ssys of the system from the time of mixing until the moment the ice completely melts? The heat of fusion of ice is Lf=3.34x105 J/kg.
Note that since the amount of ice is relatively small, the temperature of the water remains nearly constant throughout the process. Note also that the ice starts out at the melting point, and you are asked about the change in entropy by the time it just melts. In other words, you can assume that the temperature of the "ice water" remains constant as well.

Homework Equations

Ssys = Sice+Swater
Delta Sice = Qice/T
Qwater = -Qice (amount of heat lost to the ice)
Delta Swater = -Qice/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Delta Sice = (0.001 kg * 3.34x105 J/kg)/(0+273) = 1.22
Delta Swater = -334/(20+273) = -1.14
Delta S sys = 996.59

I think that this could be the correct answer, however, I would just like verification that it is correct. I have gotten the answer 1200, which seems to be a popular answer amongst my classmates, and it was not correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about your numbers, but your approach looks good. Oh, it looks like you made a mistake inputting the value for Q_water.

Thank you for point it out! I found the correct answer of 0.084 J/K.

Last edited:

Related to From Hot to Cool: A Change in Entropy

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to temperature?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As temperature increases, the disorder or randomness also increases, leading to an increase in entropy.

2. What causes a change in entropy?

A change in entropy can be caused by a variety of factors such as an increase in temperature, mixing of substances, chemical reactions, or changes in pressure.

3. How does a change in entropy affect a system?

A change in entropy can lead to changes in the physical or chemical properties of a system, such as changes in volume, pressure, or energy. It can also affect the direction of a reaction and the overall stability of a system.

4. Can entropy be reversed?

In isolated systems, the overall entropy of the system will always increase. However, in open systems, it is possible to decrease the entropy in one part of the system while increasing it in another part, resulting in an overall decrease in entropy.

5. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Entropy is closely related to this law because it describes the inevitable tendency of systems to become more disordered over time.