Fun game: credit card roulette

In summary: NYC? As Eddie Murphy said to balky in Beverly Hills Cop III, "Get the F**** out of here" "No I cannot!"Ok, let's do some math. $25 a plate for 7 people is $175. Assume everyone gets one appetizer that typically runs $10 each $245. We get 5 bottles of wine at $50 bucks each (This is a typical $20 bottle at a wine store. Restaurants double prices on all wines and beer): $50 bottle of wine is considered cheap, a lot of places will sell individual bottles for $200 or...$2,500.
Cyrus said:
:rofl: "There's a sucker born every minute"
Rough childhood? :wink:

I wonder. Is there any way that you can be as clever as you need to be - without the rest of the world having to be idiots?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
22 bucks for this:

:rofl: "There's a sucker born every minute"

And you know what they say about opinions...

Best meal I ever had. Just the two of us. 5 courses, each one with a wine-pairing. Had amuse-bouche between courses. Everything was served by our personal waiter. Lasted 4 hours.

It was like a vacation for the senses without leaving the table. Totally forgot about the outside world. By the time we were done and came back to reality, it felt exactly like we'd been away for a weekend.

With the $60 tip, it came to $420. Worth every penny.

I have been in restaurants with appetizers in the $40-$50 range based on ingredients, and with caviar in the $100+ range.

DaveC426913 said:
Rough childhood? :wink:

I wonder. Is there any way that you can be as clever as you need to be - without the rest of the world having to be idiots?

Most of the people in the world are idiots. :rofl:

My point is that there is a threshold where you're no longer paying for quality food. You're paying for quality food and getting your eyes gouged out in the process, which is stupid. For 2k, I want Iron Chef to make it for me live in under 45 mins. Todays special ingredient, endangered species!

BTW: It's called rationalization. When you spend that much money on one meal, of course you better tell yourself "hey, that was pretty good!".

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Best meal I ever had. Just the two of us. 5 courses, each one with a wine-pairing. Had amuse-bouche between courses. Everything was served by our personal waiter. Lasted 4 hours.

It was like a vacation for the senses without leaving the table. Totally forgot about the outside world. By the time we were done and came back to reality, it felt exactly like we'd been away for a weekend.

With the $60 tip, it came to $420. Worth every penny.
Sounds awesome Dave.

Cyrus said:
Most of the people in the world are idiots. :rofl:
I don't know what to say to this except that you don't need to set the bar so low in order for you to be clever. Your claim says nothing factual about the world but it does reveal some things about you. :wink:
Cyrus said:
My point is that there is a threshold where you're no longer paying for quality food. You're paying for quality food and getting your eyes gouged out in the process, which is stupid.

but I don't get how you are able to make such a judgement without it being your money, your life or your values. Surely you recognize that there are some things that it is just nonsensical to have an opinion on.

DaveC426913 said:
but I don't get how you are able to make such a judgement without it being your money, your life or your values. Surely you recognize that there are some things that it is just nonsensical to have an opinion on.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. I've known people that have hundreds of millions of dollars that don't go around wasting a few grand on a single meal because they have some sense to them. There free to spend that kind of money on a meal if they want, that doesn't mean I will respect that choice or think they are smart for it.

If you want, we can settle this over a $800 meal though, (on you), of course. (Not in a naked sushi kind of way) :wink:

Cyrus said:
Huh? That doesn't make any sense. I've known people that have hundreds of millions of dollars that don't go around wasting a few grand on a single meal because they have some sense to them. There free to spend that kind of money on a meal if they want, that doesn't mean I will respect that choice or think they are smart for it.
But it is a subjective thing. You call it waste. That would only be if it was your money. You call it sense. Surely you have the capacity to say 'huh. Different strokes for different folks.'

DaveC426913 said:
But it is a subjective thing. You call it waste. That would only be if it was your money. You call it sense. Surely you have the capacity to say 'huh. Different strokes for different folks.'

I'm surprised you haven't given me any grief about me liking fashion. You're terrible at this game Dave. I'm being facetious.

Buy me some expensive food. Let's break $350 bread. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Huh, you didn't take one bit of bait I threw down. You're a pro. I have to admire that. :smile:

I mean, I could buy a $10,000 pencil sharpener and claim that it sharpens my pencils better than any other pencil sharpener ever could, and tell you that sharpening pencils is important to me and you can't have an opinion of it since it's my personal choice, but (and I may be wrong) I bet you'd still think it was a waste of money.

AUMathTutor said:
I mean, I could buy a $10,000 pencil sharpener and claim that it sharpens my pencils better than any other pencil sharpener ever could, and tell you that sharpening pencils is important to me and you can't have an opinion of it since it's my personal choice, but (and I may be wrong) I bet you'd still think it was a waste of money.
Who are you refuting? Me or Cyrus?

mgb_phys said:
I go to my favorite local indian, most of the menu is <$10 so dinner for two and a dessert is a tip of around $5. But if I go out for my wedding anniversary somewhere that dinner + bottle of wine is nearer $100 = a tip of around $15.

I prefer small restaurants run by a small single family (mostly immigrants) - just more friendly and humble IMO provided that their food is good.

DaveC426913 said:
Who are you refuting? Me or Cyrus?

The tell-tale sign of a quality post is that you have no idea what they're talking to. Thanks.

Seriously, though, I guess if I were arguing with one of you, it would probably be with you. I know it's your money to do with as you like, but I can still think you're blowing your money.

Ok for once, I have to agree with that dirtbag... err I mean Cyrus.

$800 on dinner? Should new york just be shot into space because apparently reality doesn't come into play over there. And $2000 for a business dinner? In the US, it's called being a New Yorker, but I think in Africa it would be called a war crime.

I no longer feel like a bloated savage when I go out to a restaurant every friday night.

I don't really like the idea of that game however. What if someones unfortunate and gets a disproportionate number of bills? People can get touchy about bills...

The point was that this "game" is really nothing more than a pissing contest to see who can afford to blow away their money the fastest. It's also a rude game to play because if someone can't afford to play they are singled out and look bad. You can have money, but you can't buy class...

Pengwuino said:
I like turtles.

Last edited:
Cyrus cussed in chat!

I do agree, though, it shows no class. It confuses me why Cyrus isn't for it however.

Cyrus said:
The point was that this "game" is really nothing more than a pissing contest to see who can afford to blow away their money the fastest.
Thats the point - see "Liars Poker" by Michael Lewis about being a Wall St trader, there are some good points about why they should play this game.