Fun integration for a differential equation

In summary, Dick is right, the equation is gross and the professor is trying to show an example of solving a 2nd order equation by solving two 1st order ones.
Bad-Wolf

Homework Statement

This is just a piece of a differential equation where I'm just trying to solve this single gross integration and as there are no initial conditions laplace transforms are out so here it is:

[tex]\int t^{-2}e^{-2t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing a integration by parts then another to loop back and equate terms but this resulted in everything canceling kinda like I would expect. I tried mathematica but it does one integration by parts and then leaves it with the second integral there and then proceeds to laugh at me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can integrate that in terms of elementary functions. I'm going to guess you probably made a mistake earlier on.

Dick is right
Mathematical gives
-(1/(E^(2*t)*t)) - 2*ExpIntegralEi[-2*t]

Alrighty, if you think I made a mistake earlier on then here is the full problem.

Notice that the equation [tex]y'' - 4y'+4y' = t^{-2}[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]w'-2w=t^{-2} and y'-2y=w[/tex] Solve first for w and then for y.

for attacking ole w there I just used an integrating factor which you get as e^-2t which is apparent from just looking at it integrate -2 then the exponential to kill of the natural log on the integrating factor itself yada yada

I'm not sure what my prof is trying to proove with this equation. We're done with nth order differential equations so long as their constant coef and fit undetermined coef format and a few others so what's the dealio with this 2 equations that equals this other equation thing? He just tacked this single problem on the end with no context to anything else :p

Oh ya, that is exactly what mathematica gave me. I wouldn't past the prof to just want us to leave these sick integration lying around or something and leave them in the final solution. I mean if the problem had values we could numerically integrate or even use laplace transforms.

Looks like you mean y''-4y'+4=1/t^2. But, no, nothing wrong with your work. It looks like the main point was just to show an example of solving a 2nd order equation by solving two 1st order ones instead. That the homogeneous part requires the Ei function to integrate it may be a mistake.

lol I can append a negative sign or I can go through the trouble of making it a fraction with a power; so no, that is what you mean. But you so basically all I found out was that it is as gross as I thought it was.

Related to Fun integration for a differential equation

1. What is "Fun integration" in the context of a differential equation?

Fun integration refers to the process of finding a solution to a differential equation that involves using techniques and methods that are not commonly taught in traditional mathematics courses. This can include using visual representations, computer simulations, and other creative approaches to solve the equation.

2. How is fun integration different from traditional methods of solving differential equations?

Traditional methods of solving differential equations often involve using complex mathematical formulas and techniques such as integration by parts or separation of variables. Fun integration, on the other hand, encourages out-of-the-box thinking and creative problem-solving to find a solution.

3. Can fun integration be used for all types of differential equations?

Yes, fun integration can be applied to any type of differential equation, regardless of its complexity. However, the methods and techniques used may vary depending on the specific equation.

4. Are there any benefits to using fun integration for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are several benefits to using fun integration. It can help improve problem-solving skills, promote creativity and critical thinking, and make the process of solving differential equations more enjoyable and engaging.

5. How can I incorporate fun integration into my studies of differential equations?

You can incorporate fun integration into your studies by exploring different resources and materials that offer alternative methods for solving differential equations. You can also seek out opportunities to collaborate with others and share ideas and approaches for solving equations in a fun and creative way.