Functional analysis, ortho basis, weakly convergent

In summary, the problem is trying to find a solution to a functional equation, and the author is unsure about what to do when and un is not an integer. The author has found an upper bound for the value of un, and has also shown that en weakly converges to zero.
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

problem%205.26_zpsxlq56zgm.png

This is a problem from Haim Brezis's functional analysis book.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming (e)n is the vectors like (e)1 = (1,0,0), (e)2=(0,1,0) and so on.

We know every hilbert space has an orthonormal basis.

I also need to know the difference between l^2 and L^2 spaces. I know that this might not be much of a solution, but I'm really stuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by stating clearly what weak convergence implies (here in the context of a Hilbert space).

Once you have a clear understanding of weak convergence, 1. and 2. shouldn't be too difficult.
As (##e_n)## is an orthornormal basis of the Hilbert space H, you can use ## \forall x \in H: x= \sum_{i=1}^\infty <x,e_i>e_i## (series converging in the norm of the Hilbert space).
And also ##\forall x \in H:|x|²=\sum_{i=1}^\infty |<x,e_i>|²##.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks.

I think I now have the answer to part 1 because you can use an idea from Parseval which automically shows that en weakly converges to zero. But I'm still not sure about what to do with an and un. I also think the boundedness of an plays a role.

For part 2 I know that this is showing strongly convergence, but I don't really get how to show abs(un). Do I just pretend that the summation is really a sequence?

Fellowroot said:
I think I now have the answer to part 1 because you can use an idea from Parseval which automically shows that en weakly converges to zero.
Yes, that is correct.
Fellowroot said:
For part 2 I know that this is showing strongly convergence, but I don't really get how to show abs(un). Do I just pretend that the summation is really a sequence?
You can compute an upper bound for ##|u_n|##, making use of the fact that ##(a_n)## is bounded, and ##(e_n)## orthonormal.
You can use that, in general, you have:
##|\sum_{i=1}^n b_ie_i|²=\sum_{i=1}^n |b_i|²## (where ##(b_i)## are any numbers), because ##(e_n)## is orthonormal.

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and linear operators between them. It uses tools from analysis, such as topology and measure theory, to study the properties of these spaces and operators.

2. What is an ortho basis?

An ortho basis is a set of vectors in a vector space that are mutually orthogonal (perpendicular) and have unit length. This type of basis is often used in functional analysis to represent functions or operators in a more manageable way.

3. What does it mean for a sequence to be weakly convergent?

A sequence is said to be weakly convergent if it converges in a weaker topology than the one induced by the norm on the vector space. In other words, the sequence converges in a "weaker" sense than the usual notion of convergence, which is based on the norm of the space.

4. How is functional analysis used in real-world applications?

Functional analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. It is used, for example, in the study of partial differential equations, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It also has applications in economics, where it is used to study optimization problems and decision-making processes.

5. Can you give an example of a problem that can be solved using functional analysis?

One example of a problem that can be solved using functional analysis is the heat equation, which describes how temperature in a physical system changes over time. By using tools from functional analysis, such as the theory of Fourier series and Sobolev spaces, we can solve the heat equation and understand how temperature evolves in different situations.