Functional Derivatives in Q.F.T.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of functionally differentiating a functional and the general recipe for calculating functional derivatives. The resulting answer for differentiating the given functional with respect to J(x) is -i times the integral of J(y) times G(x-y).
QFT1995
I'm can't seem to figure out how to functionally differentiate a functional such as [tex]Z(J)= e^{\frac{i}{2} \int \mathrm{d}^4y \int \mathrm{d}^4x J(y) G_F (x-y) J(x)} [/tex]
with respect to [itex]J(x) [/itex]. I know the answer is
[tex]\frac{\delta Z(J)}{\delta J(x)}= -i \int \mathrm{d}^4y J(y) G(x-y) [/tex]
but I'm struggling to calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general recipe for calculating functional derivatives is:

Change each occurrence of ##J(x)## for some ##x## to ##J(x)+sf(x)## with a test function ##f(x)##, then differentiate with respect to ##s##, set ##s=0## in the result, and take the limit where ##f(x)## tends to the Dirac delta function.

1. What are functional derivatives in quantum field theory (Q.F.T)?

Functional derivatives in Q.F.T are mathematical tools used to describe how a system changes with respect to a small change in its variables. In Q.F.T, these variables are typically fields, which are functions of space and time. Functional derivatives are important in calculating the equations of motion and determining the dynamics of a system.

2. How are functional derivatives calculated in Q.F.T?

Functional derivatives are calculated using the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is a generalization of the derivative in multivariable calculus. This equation takes into account the variations of all the fields in a system and determines how they affect the overall dynamics. The functional derivative is obtained by taking the derivative of the Lagrangian, which is the function that describes the dynamics of the system, with respect to the field variables.

3. What is the significance of functional derivatives in Q.F.T?

Functional derivatives play a crucial role in Q.F.T as they allow us to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of its fundamental fields. They also help us to calculate important quantities such as the energy and momentum of a system, as well as determine the equations of motion. In addition, functional derivatives are used in the path integral formulation of Q.F.T, which is a powerful tool for calculating physical observables.

4. How do functional derivatives relate to classical mechanics?

Functional derivatives are closely related to the concept of variational calculus in classical mechanics. In both cases, we are interested in finding the function that minimizes a certain quantity, such as the action or energy. However, in Q.F.T, we are dealing with fields instead of particles, and the functional derivative allows us to vary these fields to find the optimal solution.

5. Are functional derivatives used in other areas of physics?

Yes, functional derivatives are used in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in other fields such as economics, engineering, and biology. In general, functional derivatives are a powerful tool for describing and analyzing complex systems that involve continuous variables.