Functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z)

In summary, the necessary condition that two functions be functionally related is that their partial derivatives do not vanish.
arpon

Homework Statement

Let ##u## and ##v## be differentiable functions of ##x,~y## and ##z##. Show that a necessary and sufficient condition that ##u## and ##v## are functionally related by the equation ##F(u,v)=0## is that ##\vec \nabla u \times \vec \nabla v= \vec 0##

Homework Equations

(Not applicable)

The Attempt at a Solution

##\vec \nabla u## and ##\vec \nabla u## are the normal vectors to the constant ##u##-surface and the constant ##v##-surface respectively. As, ##\vec \nabla u \times \vec \nabla v= \vec 0##, i.e, ##\vec \nabla u## and ##\vec \nabla v## are in the same (or opposite) direction for a particular value of ##(x, y, z)##, a constant ##u##-surface also represents a constant ##v##-surface. Therefore, for a particular value of ##u##, there exists a corresponding value of ##v##. So, we can conclude that ##u## and ##v## are functionally related.
But, how can I prove it mathematically?

Physics news on Phys.org
By 'functionally related', do you think that means that
- for any given value of ##u## there is a unique value of ##v## such that ##F(u,v)=0## and
- for any given value of ##v## there is a unique value of ##u## such that ##F(u,v)=0##?

If so, I'm not convinced by the above argument. I can imagine the set with ##u=1## as being two disconnected spheres, on one of which we have ##v=2## and on the other we have ##v=3##. Then there would be no unique ##v## value for ##u=1##.

I think a successful argument is going to have to bring the function ##F## into the argument, which the above does not.

In fact, I think the proposition may not even be true.

First, note that the 'necessary' part is easy to prove. Just express ##u## as a function of ##v## and then write out ##\nabla u(v)\times \nabla v## in coordinate form and we see that everything cancels.

I think the following may be a counterexample to the 'sufficient' claim though.
Define ##P=(1,0,0),Q=(-1,0,0)\in \mathbb{R}^3## and define ##u:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## by
  • ##u(x)=\max(0,B(1-\|x-P\|))## if ##x^1\geq 0##; and
  • ##u(x)=-\max(0,B(1-\|x-Q\|))## if ##x^1< 0##
Where ##B:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}## is a bump function with support ##(0,1)## (to ensure ##u## and ##v## are differentiable).

Then define ##v=|u|##, and ##F(u,v)=u^2-v^2##.

Then for any ##v\in(0,1)## the set of ##(u,v)## satisfying ##F(u,v)=0## is a pair of congruent, non-intersecting spheres, of radius in ##(0,1)##, centred on ##P## and ##Q##. The value of ##v## is constant everywhere on both spheres, but the values of ##u## on the two spheres have opposite signs. So ##F(u,v)=0## does not generate a functional relationship between ##u## and ##v##.

The best we could do would be to prove something like the Implicit Function Theorem, that requires additional conditions such as continuous differentiability, and only concludes that a functional relationship exists locally, not necessarily globally.

Thanks, @andrewkirk . I was also puzzled by this exercise.

For the 'necessary' part, it is straightforward if one assumes that one of the partial derivatives of F never vanishes.
Without any assumption on F, no way this can be true (F≡0 as a silly counterexample for the 'necessary' part).

Samy_A said:
For the 'necessary' part, it is straightforward if one assumes that one of the partial derivatives of F never vanishes.
Without any assumption on F, no way this can be true (F≡0 as a silly counterexample for the 'necessary' part).
In the necessary case one needs to prove that:

(1) ##\nabla u\times\nabla v\not\equiv 0\Rightarrow u,v## are not functionally related by ##F##.

For a counterexample to that we would have to affirm the antecedent and deny the consequent, that is, we'd need:

(2) ##(\nabla u\times\nabla v\not\equiv 0)## and (##u,v## are functionally related by ##F##)

The case ##F\equiv 0## affirms the consequent of (1), and hence denies the second conjunct of (2), so (2) will not be true and the case cannot be a counterexample.

I've written out a componentwise proof of the necessary part, but then I realized I mustn't post it, as that would be giving away part of the answer wholesale.

1. What is the definition of a functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z)?

A functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) is a mathematical relationship between two variables, u and v, where the value of one variable (v) is determined by the value of the other variable (u). In other words, u and v are dependent on each other and their values change in a predictable way.

2. How is a functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) different from an algebraic relation?

A functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) is a specific type of algebraic relation where the dependent variable (v) is expressed in terms of the independent variable (u) using a mathematical function. This means that for each value of u, there is only one corresponding value of v, unlike an algebraic relation where there can be multiple solutions for each variable.

3. What are some real-life examples of functional relations between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z)?

Functional relations between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) can be found in many fields of science and technology. For example, in physics, the relationship between force and acceleration can be expressed as a functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) = ma, where m is the mass of an object. In chemistry, the relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas can be described by the ideal gas law, which is a functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) = PV = nRT. Other examples include the relationship between temperature and energy in thermodynamics and the relationship between input and output in computer programming.

4. How can a functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) be represented graphically?

A functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) can be represented graphically by plotting the values of both variables on a coordinate plane. The independent variable (u) is typically plotted on the horizontal axis and the dependent variable (v) is plotted on the vertical axis. The resulting graph can show the shape and direction of the relationship between the two variables, such as whether it is linear, exponential, or logarithmic.

5. How can a functional relation between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) be used in scientific research?

Functional relations between u(x,y,z) and v(x,y,z) are commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze complex systems. By understanding the functional relationship between two variables, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of the system and test these predictions through experiments. Functional relations can also be used to optimize processes and make improvements, such as in engineering and economics. Additionally, functional relations can help identify patterns and trends in data, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of study.