Fundamental Forces: Placing charges along a line so that the net force is zero at a point

In summary, the equation gives the magnitude of the force, but you also need to determine which way the force points.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
F=9E9 *(q1q2/r)
So 0=q1q3/r+q2q3/(13.6-r)

0=-8.5/r-3.63/13.6+3.63/r

0.2669=3.63/r-8.5/r

r=-18.2465, but the answer is supposed to be 8.24

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you figured out that the minus charge must be placed between the two positive charges. Both forces are attractive. The first charge pulls charge 3 to the left, giving it a negative sign. The second charge pulls charge 3 to the right=that force is positive.

Meanwhile you need an exponent of 2 on the distances in the denominator.

Your algebra is also incorrect. e.g. ## 6/(4-2) \neq 6/4-6/2 ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I think you figured out that the minus charge must be placed between the two positive charges. Both forces are attractive. The first charge pulls charge 3 to the left, giving it a negative sign. The second charge pulls charge 3 to the right=that force is positive.

Are they not both negative though, because q1*q3 and q2*q3 are both negative?

Last edited:
Charles Link said:

I get the right answer as you've said when I make one positive and fix my algebra, but could you explain further why its positive? I understand it pulls the charge to the right, but I was under the impression that, from the equation below, it was the charges that delineated a positive or negative sign.

F = k \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}

JoeyBob said:
I get the right answer as you've said when I make one positive and fix my algebra, but could you explain further why its positive? I understand it pulls the charge to the right, but I was under the impression that, from the equation below, it was the charges that delineated a positive or negative sign.

F = k \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}
That formula only gives the magnitude. The vector form includes r as a vector, e.g. ##\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^3}\vec r##. For the two cases, the r vector is pointing opposite ways.

haruspex said:
That formula only gives the magnitude. The vector form includes r as a vector, e.g. ##\frac{kq_1q_2}{r^3}\vec r##. For the two cases, the r vector is pointing opposite ways.

So the vector from the first charge interaction would be r/r i hat and from the second charge interaction (r-13.6)/sqrt(r-13.6)^2 *i hat. The first would remain positive and cancel, but the second would be negative and cancel because we know r is smaller than 13.6 and a negative divided by the absolute value of a positive is negative.

Is this correct?

@haruspex wrote it with an ## \vec{r} ## in the numerator, and an ## r^3 ##, in the denominator, but when you are first getting started, you are better to look at it as a unit vector divided by ## r^2 ##. If you got the correct answer, I believe you now have the right idea.

As he pointed out, you only get the amplitude of the force from the formula. You then determine which way the force points, (left or right), and put the sign on there accordingly.

JoeyBob said:
Are they not both negative though, because q1*q3 and q2*q3 are both negative?
May I add my two-penn’orth?

The confusion comes from mixing two different sign-conventions and is easily avoided.

When using ##F = \frac{kq_1q_2}{r^2} ##we are using a radial sign-convention. A positive value of F means outwards (repulsion); a negative value of F means inwards (attraction). Positive or negative values of F do not tell us if F acts in the +x or -x directions; that needs a different sign-convention.

When you have charges along a line it's often simplest to consider the magnitudes of the forces. In this question we have the arrangement:
[+q₁] [-q₃] [+q₂]
For zero force on q₃ we need the 2 attractive forces on it to balance:
|F₁₃| = |F₂₃|

Also worth noting is that answers should have units and be rounded to the appropriate number of significant figures.

Likes Charles Link

1. What are fundamental forces?

Fundamental forces are the physical interactions that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. These forces include gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How do charges placed along a line affect the net force at a point?

If charges are placed along a line, the net force at a point will depend on the magnitude and direction of the charges. If the charges are equal and opposite, the net force will be zero at the point. If the charges are not equal and opposite, the net force will be non-zero and will depend on the distance between the charges and the strength of the charges.

3. What is the significance of having a net force of zero at a point?

A net force of zero at a point means that the forces acting on an object at that point are balanced and there will be no acceleration. This is known as equilibrium and is an important concept in physics and engineering.

4. Can charges be placed along a line to create a net force of zero at any point?

Yes, charges can be placed along a line to create a net force of zero at any point. This is known as Coulomb's Law and it states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

5. How is the net force affected if the charges are moved along the line?

If the charges are moved along the line, the net force at a point will also change. This is because the distance between the charges and the strength of the charges will change, resulting in a different net force. The net force will be zero when the charges are placed at specific distances from each other, as determined by Coulomb's Law.