Fundamental Questions about Atoms

In summary: And please don't start a thread on any other alternative theories? They are generally not scientifically testable, so they don't fit in the science forums. There are plenty of other forums where you can discuss those theories - one that is advertised on the site is the "against the mainstream" forum.I am not a mod, but I have been around long enough to know what is and is not allowed on these forums. I am just trying to save you some grief and frustration. Please don't keep starting threads that will be closed.I am not that great at expressing my ideas, so I've been struggling with this and having a bit of an existential crisis. I could really use some reassurance.In summary,
Sciencelad2798
TL;DR Summary
How is it even possible for atoms to function like they do?
I can't help but find the concept of atoms a bit weird. If everything is made of atoms, and atoms are mostly empty space, couldn't that be evidence towards simulation theory? If we can never actually touch anything, and everything is just "levitating" on a force field, couldn't that also be evidence? I am not great at expressing my ideas, I've just been struggling with this, having kind of an essential crisis and could use some reassurance.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencelad2798 said:
Summary:: How is it even possible for atoms to function like they do?

I can't help but find the concept of atoms a bit weird. If everything is made of atoms, and atoms are mostly empty space, couldn't that be evidence towards simulation theory?
First, atoms are not mostly empty space. They are entirely filled with strong fields.

Second, no, why would it be evidence towards simulation theory? Again, remember what constitutes evidence as described previously.

By the way, I notice that this is your second thread basically looking at some theoretical prediction and asking if it is evidence towards simulation theory. There really is no evidence for simulation theory because it is not actually a theory in the scientific sense. I.e. you cannot use "simulation theory" to calculate a probability for any observation. So there will not be anything that can possibly be described as evidence towards simulation theory. It simply is not the type of idea for which evidence can even exist. This type of idea is often described as “not even wrong”

Last edited:
Likes Motore, jim mcnamara, russ_watters and 2 others
Note also that the forum rules specifically disallow discussions of simulation hypotheses, basically for the reasons that @Dale states above.

So please don't start another thread on the subject? Please?

Likes Dale and russ_watters

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter, consisting of a nucleus made up of protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons. Atoms are the building blocks of all elements and are incredibly small, with a diameter of about one ten-billionth of a meter.

2. How many types of atoms are there?

There are currently 118 known types of atoms, each with a unique number of protons in its nucleus. These are called elements and are organized on the periodic table.

3. What is the structure of an atom?

An atom has a nucleus at its center, which is made up of positively charged protons and neutral neutrons. Surrounding the nucleus are negatively charged electrons, which are arranged in energy levels or shells.

4. What holds an atom together?

The nucleus of an atom is held together by the strong nuclear force, which overcomes the repulsive force between positively charged protons. The electrons are held in orbit around the nucleus by the electromagnetic force.

5. Can atoms be broken down into smaller particles?

Yes, atoms can be broken down into smaller particles through nuclear reactions. These reactions involve splitting the nucleus or combining nuclei to form new elements. However, atoms cannot be broken down into smaller particles through chemical reactions.