What field deals with the following fundamental questions?

In summary, the conversation covers the topics of physics and chemistry, their relationship to each other, and the role of mathematics in understanding the universe. It also touches on the idea of reductionism in science and the concept of emergent phenomena. Overall, it explores the fundamental questions and approaches taken in various fields to study the universe and its complexities.
Avichal
Physics deals with finding out the basic rules by which the universe works. For me, physics is the most fundamental understanding of the universe. So theoretically, everything could be explained by the laws of physics. Is there any field that deals with the idea?

Similarly, chemistry is figuring out the rules by which matter around us behaves. I see chemistry as applied physics. Laws of chemistry could be explained by physics. But since there is too many things going on, we can't really explain it using laws of physics. So we don't approach studying chemistry by studying physics but we take a different approach.
Which field deals with such ideas i.e. chemistry is applied physics, approach taken to study it etc.

Similarly, there are other fundamental questions like following:-
- Mathematics could be the language of universe i.e. maybe everything could be expressed as a number
- Everything is built layer upon layer. Atoms, molecules are made up of more fundamental particles. Matter is made of atoms, molecules etc. Basically, physics -> chemistry -> biology -> psychology etc.

I know these all are just ideas and not concrete statements but is there any field that studies this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avichal said:
But since there is too many things going on, we can't really explain it using laws of physics. So we don't approach studying chemistry by studying physics but we take a different approach.

What approach is that? At the end of the day everything comes down to mathematical physics. It's as simple as that. It comes down to especially satisfying "action/Lagrangian" and gauge symmetry laws in your mathematical modelling, as far as I've learned. Making sure all the laws of your model are frame invariant.

Avichal said:
Physics deals with finding out the basic rules by which the universe works. For me, physics is the most fundamental understanding of the universe. So theoretically, everything could be explained by the laws of physics. Is there any field that deals with the idea?
The broad of science attempts to study/observe the universe/Nature and answer the questions concerning its nature and behavior. Mathematics is a human abstraction based on our desire to quantify, i.e., count and measure, things.

The distinction between physics and chemistry is arbitrary, since they are different perspectives on the study of the nature of things. Certainly chemistry doesn't necessarily delve into the particle physics, but there is a field of nuclear chemistry, which deals with the fact that elements exist as isotopes. There are fields of chemical physics and physical chemistry, which have some commonality with condensed matter physics.

The universe/Nature is what it is and does what it does, and the challenge for us is to figure it out.

The universe/Nature cannot be quantified by a single number, although 42 may be one possibility.

Astronuc said:
although 42 may be one possibility

I know you jest, but trust me, 42 is going to pop up somewhere, and when it does, it's going to be BIG

Obligatory XKCD comic:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/purity.png
On the other hand, physicists like to say physics is to math as sex is to masturbation.
http://xkcd.com/435/

Likes Buzz Bloom and Greg Bernhardt
Ygggdrasil said:
Obligatory XKCD comic:
Hi Ygggdrasil:

I take your post as (mostly?) humorous, but I think many physicists may take it as gospel, and may see science as a whole as entirely reductionist. To what extent are emergent (non-reductionist) phenomena scienifically accepted as part of "the world".

A "helpful" metaphor would be (1) application software "science" is applied (2) system software "science", system software "science" is applied (3) firmware "science", and firmware "science is (4) applied hardware "science".

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Ygggdrasil:

I take your post as (mostly?) humorous, but I think many physicists may take it as gospel, and may see science as a whole as entirely reductionist. To what extent are emergent (non-reductionist) phenomena scienifically accepted as part of "the world".

A "helpful" metaphor would be (1) application software "science" is applied (2) system software "science", system software "science" is applied (3) firmware "science", and firmware "science is (4) applied hardware "science".

Regards,
Buzz

If a field has "science" in its name, then it isn't science.

Hornbein said:
If a field has "science" in its name, then it isn't science.
Hi Hornbein:

Thanks for your post. You have an interesting heuristic for determining what isn't science. Or perhaps you inadvertantly omitited the wink emoticon: ;)
computer science
medical science
neuroscience
bioscience
life science
social science
political science​

Regards,
Buzz

What is the field that deals with the following fundamental questions?

The field that deals with the following fundamental questions is known as philosophy. Philosophy is a branch of study that explores fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, reality, and ethics.

What are the main branches of philosophy?

The main branches of philosophy include metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, logic, and aesthetics. Metaphysics deals with the nature of reality, epistemology studies knowledge and belief, ethics examines moral principles and values, logic explores reasoning and argumentation, and aesthetics focuses on beauty and art.

What are some examples of fundamental questions in philosophy?

Some examples of fundamental questions in philosophy include: What is the meaning of life? What is reality? Do we have free will? What is the nature of consciousness? What is the difference between right and wrong?

How does philosophy differ from science?

Philosophy and science are both concerned with asking questions and seeking answers, but they differ in their approaches. Philosophy uses critical thinking and logical reasoning to explore fundamental questions, while science uses empirical evidence and the scientific method to understand the natural world.

What are some practical applications of philosophy?

Philosophy has practical applications in various fields such as law, medicine, ethics, and education. It helps us think critically and make ethical decisions, understand different perspectives, and improve our reasoning and communication skills.