Fundamental Theorem of Quantum Measurements

In summary, the Fundamental Theorem of Quantum Measurements states that a set of operators satisfying a certain condition can be used to describe a possible measurement on a quantum system. For discrete outcomes, the final state is given by a probability mass function, while for continuous outcomes, it is given by a probability density function. There are different ways to represent the final state, such as weighting by the probabilities or using an approximation if the subset of outcomes is small. However, the physical existence of continuous observables, such as position, is debated.
Well, the final statement in #70 is the socalled "collapse postulate". One should be aware that the validity of this assumption at best holds in a simplified sense for very special kinds of measurements, named von Neumann filter measurements, named after John von Neumann, who wrote a partially brillant book on the mathematical foundations of QT, establishing the Hilbert-space formalism, clarifying the somewhat delicate issue of unbound operators with continuous spectra. The physical part of this book, however, is partially misleading, precisely because of the issues with the collapse, quantum-classical cut, of some naive flavors of the Copenhagen interpretation.

Likes Zafa Pi and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
Objective reality might also be discrete, but it just can't be decided by measurement. See my answer at https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/35676/7924
Agreed.
A. Neumaier said:
But almost all of physics assumes continuity, for very good reasons: The discrete case is essentially untractable since analysis (the tool created by Newton, in a sense the father of modern physics) can no longer be applied.
I would modify this with: "But almost all theories of physics ...
Physics in the lab is essentially discrete.
I've also read there is a program that simulates all of Newtonian mechanics (I'm still looking for it). Functions like cos and equations are subroutines. To get a definite answer the programs must halt giving discrete solutions. The real numbers never show up.

This article is interesting: https://www.wired.com/2009/04/Newtonai/

Likes Demystifier
Hm, the stuff around me doesn't look very discrete to me. Also quantum theory, describing "discrete particles/quanta" is a theory described by continuum theories, i.e., (functional) calculus. What "nature really is" or what "objective reality" is, nobody can seriously say, and it's the realm of philosophical speculation rather than fact-based empirical natural science.

vanhees71 said:
Hm, the stuff around me doesn't look very discrete to me.
I have never "seen" something non-discrete in my entire life. Even a "continuous" blue sky have to be distinguish from a "continuous" blue sheet of paper by its discrete borders...

vanhees71 said:
Also quantum theory, describing "discrete particles/quanta" is a theory described by continuum theories, i.e., (functional) calculus.
Indeed, but the question is that maybe a another type of math would better suit the problem of describing quanta of Nature.

vanhees71 said:
What "nature really is" or what "objective reality" is, nobody can seriously say
But do you agree that the goal of science is to deepen this knowledge ?. The stuff around me doesn't look very (im)probable to me. Yet I don't mind decreasing the scale of certain experiments until "probability" (or something like it) starts showing up.

vanhees71 said:
and it's the realm of philosophical speculation rather than fact-based empirical natural science.
Isn't it an undisputed fact that all observable are discrete ? Isn't it another fact that space/time coordinate and probabilities are abstraction (not facts) ?

For example a photon falling into a gravitational field will exchange its energy with the "continuous" field in a discrete manner. Isn't it actually falling down some stairs more than some space ?

For the records when I begin my computer career I was a full believer in continuum, and was wondering if the "abstract information/bits" mentality wasn't polluting all kind of sciences. I have completely changed my mind. A fact I learned soon enough is that some abstract continuous thing like a "real" won't fit any set of (f)actual bits (whatever the number of them 8-16-32...)

The Planck constant is staring us in the face for more then a century, and the Universe "facts" are made of light and matter ... not field nor probability.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
Hm, the stuff around me doesn't look very discrete to me.
You need to get refitted with glasses giving you 20/1035 vision.

Zafa Pi said:
Did you mean... 6.096/3.04835 vision ?

OCR said:
Did you mean... 6.096/3.04835 vision ?
Those would only cost half as much

Likes Boing3000
Zafa Pi said:
Those would only cost half as much
No... !
They would cost two as much...

Zafa Pi said:
giving you 20/1035
OCR said:
Did you mean... 6.096/3.04835... ?
I think you are being contentious, and trying to make me look as a spectacle, simply because your unit is so short...

Zafa Pi said:
Lol, I'll bet if I wore those glasses, and stood on your shoulders... I could really see alot ... . :-p