How to Use Harmonic Analysis to Determine g(x,y) in Different Cases?

In summary, the amplitude of a monochromatic wave of wavelength λ in the z=0 and z=d planes is f(x,y) and g(x,y), respectively. Using harmonic analysis, it is determined that g(x,y) = h0exp(iπ(x2+y2)/λd)F(x/λd,y/λd).
Amirjahi

Homework Statement

The complex amplitudes of a monochromatic wave of wavelength λ in the z=0 and z=d planes are f(x,y) and g(x,y), resprctively. Assume d=104λ, use harmonic analysis to determine g(x,y) in the following cases:

(a) f(x,y) = exp{(-jπ/λ)(x+y)}
(b) f(x,y) = cos(πx/2λ)
(c) f(x,y)=cos2(πy/2λ)

can anyone help me to solve this problem?
thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The other two sections of the template you have deleted are compulsory before you can hope to receive help. What equations in harmonic analysis, and additionally about the propagation of light, do you already know?

Fourier Transform Equations:
F(νxy)=∫−∞f(x,y)exp(−i2π(νxx+νyy))dxdy

Transfer Function of Free Space (Fraunhofer Approximation):
g(x,y)=h0exp(iπ(x2+y2)/λd)F(x/λd,y/λd)
3. The Attempt at a Solution
f(x,y)=1
F(νxy)=∫−∞exp(−i2π(νxx+νyy)dxdy=δ(νx−0)δ(νy−0)
g(x,y)=∫−∞F(νxy)H(νxy)exp(+i2π(νxx+νyy))dνxdνy
g(x,y)=h0exp(iπ(x2+y2)/λd)δ(x/λd)δ(y/λd)

Last edited:
Good start. Unfortunately, the objects (the fields in the input plane) are defined for all spaces, i.e. both ##x## and ##y## run from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##. In this case, the condition necessary for Fraunhofer approximation cannot be satisfied. Instead start with the Helmholtz equation in free space
$$
\nabla^2 E(x,y,z) + k^2 E(x,y,z) = 0
$$
with ##k = 2\pi/\lambda##. Now apply Fourier transform on ##E(x,y,z)## to ##x## and ##y## only, so that in the end you will obtain a function ##\tilde{E}(k_x,k_y,z)##. Hint: use the rule ##\textrm{FT}[df(x)/dx] = ik_x\textrm{FT}[f(x)]##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Good start. Unfortunately, the objects (the fields in the input plane) are defined for all spaces, i.e. both ##x## and ##y## run from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##. In this case, the condition necessary for Fraunhofer approximation cannot be satisfied. Start with the Helmholtz equation in free space
$$
\nabla^2 E(x,y,z) + k^2 E(x,y,z) = 0
$$
with ##k = 2\pi/\lambda##. Now apply Fourier transform on ##E(x,y,z)## to ##x## and ##y## only, so that in the end you will obtain a function ##\tilde{E}(k_x,k_y,z)##. Hint: use the rule ##\textrm{FT}[df(x)/dx] = ik_x\textrm{FT}[f(x)]##.
yes i know that, but i want a solution of one of the cases above for better understand

Do you mean one of the (a), (b), and (c)? All of ##f(x,y)##'s given in each case extends from minus infinity to plus infinity in both ##x## and ##y## directions, Fraunhofer approximation is not applicable here as it requires that ##a^2/(z\lambda) << 0.1## with ##a## the size of the input field. For instance, look at your previous work, in the input plane you have plane wave ##f(x,y) = 1##, but at ##z=d## you got a point as your calculation resulted in an expression proportional a delta function. Does it look make sense to you?

Last edited:
The right way to solve it is by the use of angular spectrum method. In case you are not familiar with it, start with the suggestion I pointed out in post #4. I just want to stress again, that Fraunhofer approximation will not work here.

ok thank you for your help, I will try to solve it if possible

blue_leaf77 said:
The right way to solve it is by the use of angular spectrum method. In case you are not familiar with it, start with the suggestion I pointed out in post #4. I just want to stress again, that Fraunhofer approximation will not work here.

Amirjahi said:
hi

can i ask you the solution of FT[ f(x,y) = exp{(-jπ/λ)(x+y)}] ??

What is photonics?

Photonics is the branch of physics that deals with the study and manipulation of photons, which are particles of light. It involves the use of light to transmit, detect, and process information, and has applications in various fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and energy.

What are the fundamental principles of photonics?

The fundamental principles of photonics include the wave-particle duality of light, the properties of electromagnetic radiation, and the interactions of light with matter. These principles form the basis for understanding the behavior of light and its applications in photonics.

What are the key components of a photonics system?

The key components of a photonics system include sources of light, such as lasers or LEDs, detectors to measure the light, and optical components such as lenses and mirrors to manipulate and control the light. Other components may include optical fibers, modulators, and filters.

How is photonics used in everyday life?

Photonics has numerous applications in everyday life, including in telecommunications for transmitting data through fiber optic cables, in medical imaging for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, and in electronic displays such as LED screens. It is also used in consumer products such as barcode scanners and laser pointers.

What are the future developments in photonics?

Some potential future developments in photonics include the development of faster and more efficient data transmission through the use of photonic integrated circuits, the use of light for quantum computing, and the development of new materials for use in photonics applications. There is also ongoing research in areas such as biophotonics and solar energy conversion using photovoltaic cells.