Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation

In summary: This means that the input field cannot be a constant function. Therefore, the solution to this problem is not well defined. In summary, the problem is not well defined because the input field cannot be a constant function in this case.
bryverine

Homework Statement

The complex amplitudes of a monochromatic wave of wavelength ##\lambda## in the z=0 and z=d planes are f(x,y) and g(x,y), redprctively. Assume ##d=10^4 \lambda##, use harmonic analysis to determine g(x,y) in the following cases:
(a) f(x,y)=1
(d) ##f(x,y)=cos^2(\pi y / 2 \lambda)##

Homework Equations

Part (d):
##f(x,y)=cos^2(\pi y / 2 \lambda)=.5(1+cos(\pi y / \lambda)=.5(1+.5(exp(+i\pi y / \lambda)+exp(-i\pi y / \lambda)) ##
Fourier Transform Equations:
##F(\nu_x,\nu_y)= \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x,y)exp(-i2\pi (\nu_xx+\nu_yy))dxdy##
##f(x,y)= \int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\nu_x,\nu_y)=exp(+i2\pi (\nu_xx+\nu_yy))d\nu_xd\nu_y##
Transfer Function of Free Space (Fraunhofer Approximation):
##g(x,y)=h_0exp(\frac{i\pi(x^2+y^2)}{\lambda d})F(\frac{x}{\lambda d},\frac{y}{\lambda d})##

The Attempt at a Solution

##f(x,y)=1\\
F(\nu_x,\nu_y)= \int_{-\infty}^\infty exp(-i2\pi (\nu_xx+\nu_yy)dxdy=\delta(\nu_x-0)\delta(\nu_y-0)
\\
g(x,y)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\nu_x,\nu_y)H (\nu_x,\nu_y)exp(+i2\pi (\nu_xx+\nu_yy))d\nu_xd\nu_y\\
Assume\;Fraunhofer\;Approx\; \lambda <<d\\
g(x,y)=h_0exp(\frac{i\pi(x^2+y^2)}{\lambda d})F(\frac{x}{\lambda d},\frac{y}{\lambda d})\\
g(x,y)=h_0exp(\frac{i\pi(x^2+y^2)}{\lambda d})\delta(\frac{x}{\lambda d})\delta(\frac{y}{\lambda d})\\
g(x,y)=(i/\lambda d)exp(-ikd)exp(\frac{i\pi(x^2+y^2)}{\lambda d})\delta(\frac{x}{\lambda d})\delta(\frac{y}{\lambda d})\\
g(x,y)=(i/\lambda d)exp(-ikd)[exp(\frac{i\pi x^2}{\lambda d})\delta(\frac{x}{\lambda d})][exp(\frac{i\pi y^2}{\lambda d})\delta(\frac{y}{\lambda d})]\\##

I think because the function is f(x,y)=1, there should just be propogation through free space. This should go to g(x,y)= some phase shift. My guess is that having a delta function at the end is wrong and it should "disappear" somehow.

I'm using the Fundamentals of Photonics, Bahaa E.A. Saleh (either edition).

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically, your calculation does not show any fault. The FT of a constant is a delta function, however the physics involved should not allow your calculation to be true because Fraunhofer approximation is actually a further approximation within Fresnel approximation, in other words, by assuming Fraunhofer approximation, Fresnel approximation must be implied. And this Fresnel approximation does not allow the input field to be unbounded like it is in this problem.

1. What is an Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation?

An Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation is a mathematical operation that converts a signal from the spatial domain to the frequency domain. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of the signal's frequency components.

2. How does an Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation work?

An Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation uses lenses, mirrors, and other optical components to manipulate the signal's spatial distribution and create an interference pattern. This pattern is then measured and converted into the frequency domain using mathematical algorithms.

3. What are the applications of Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation?

Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation has various applications in optics, imaging, and signal processing. It is used in Fourier spectroscopy, holography, and diffraction techniques, among others. It is also used in communication systems for signal analysis and filtering.

4. What are the advantages of using an Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation?

One of the main advantages of Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation is its ability to convert signals from the spatial domain to the frequency domain without any loss of information. This makes it a powerful tool for signal analysis and processing. It is also relatively fast and can handle complex signals.

5. Are there any limitations to Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation?

While Optical Fourier Transform for Propagation has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It requires precise optical components and alignment, making it sensitive to environmental factors such as vibrations and thermal changes. It also has a limited dynamic range and can only handle signals within a certain frequency range.