Gain Margin, Open or Closed Loop?

In summary, To find the gain margin of a system with a closed loop transfer function and a gain of 1, you need to find the frequency at which the phase is -180 degrees and the gain at that frequency. The gain margin is then calculated as 1 divided by the gain at that frequency. When determining which transfer function to use, you should use the open loop transfer function.
saad87

Homework Statement

I'm given a closed loop transfer function with a gain, K=1 and a plant H(s). I need to find the gain margin of the system.

Homework Equations

I know how to solve this problem:

a) I find the frequency where the phase is -180 degrees.
b) I find the gain at that frequency, let's called that a.
c) the gain margin is 1/a.

What I'm confused about is, to find the gain margin, do I use the open loop transfer function K.H or the closed loop transfer function KH/(1+KH)?

Physics news on Phys.org
saad87 said:
What I'm confused about is, to find the gain margin, do I use the open loop transfer function K.H or the closed loop transfer function KH/(1+KH)?

You use the open loop TF.

To find the gain margin of a system, you will need to use the closed loop transfer function. The open loop transfer function, K.H, does not take into account the feedback loop and therefore does not accurately represent the overall system. The closed loop transfer function, KH/(1+KH), takes into account the feedback loop and provides a more accurate representation of the system. Using this function, you can follow the steps outlined in the problem to find the gain margin. It is important to use the closed loop transfer function in order to accurately assess the stability and performance of the system.

What is Gain Margin?

Gain margin is a measure of the stability of a control system. It is the amount of gain that can be added to the system before it becomes unstable.

What is the difference between Open and Closed Loop systems?

An open loop system has no feedback loop, meaning the output is not compared to the desired input. A closed loop system, on the other hand, uses feedback to adjust the input based on the output.

How is Gain Margin calculated?

Gain margin is calculated by finding the gain at the point where the phase shift is equal to -180 degrees on the Bode plot. This indicates the gain at which the system becomes unstable.

Why is Gain Margin important?

Gain margin is important because it allows us to determine the stability of a control system. It helps us understand how much gain can be added to the system before it becomes unstable and allows us to design and optimize control systems for desired performance.

How can Gain Margin be increased?

Gain margin can be increased by decreasing the overall gain of the system or by increasing the phase margin. This can be achieved through proper system design and tuning.