INA Frequency Response: Gain, Circuit & Open Loop Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between open loop gain and closed loop gain in an opamp circuit with negative feedback. It is explained that the open loop gain must be larger or equal to the closed loop gain for the circuit to work properly. Additionally, the use of a Bode Plot is suggested to better understand this concept.
nothing909
1. QUESTION

i'm dealing with a 3op instrumentation amplifier.

say i have a circuit gain of 100

and i have an INA with a gain bandwidth product of 2MHz.

the two buffer differential amplifiers are at 100k

the open loop gain is then 2MHz/100k = 20

this frequency of 100k is going to effect the gain of the circuit because the open loop gain is much smaller than the gain of the circuit at 100.

my question is: why does the open loop gain have to be larger than the circuit gain for it to not affect it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:
my question is: why does the open loop gain have to be larger than the circuit gain for it to not affect it?
Can you post a Bode Plot of the open loop gain, and then superimpose the closed-loop gain on the plot? Does that help to answer your question? :smile:

nothing909 said:
Do you mean closed loop gain?

no, i mean open loop gain. I'm looking at a graph with Acl and Aol but i still don't understand my question

nothing909 said:
Oh, I get what you are saying now, you mean Aol at 100kHz. Got it.
nothing909 said:
i'm looking at a graph with Acl and Aol but i still don't understand my question
Can you Upload it?

Something like this?

https://wiki.analog.com/_media/university/courses/electronics/text/chptr3-f2.png?w=570&tok=40b3d5
chptr3-f2.png

Attachments

• chptr3-f2.png
    chptr3-f2.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 648
yea exactly like that

nothing909 said:
The open look gain has to be larger or equal to the closed loop gain that you are setting, or the closed loop gain will be less than what you are trying to set. If the open loop gain at some frequency is 10 and you want the closed loop gain to be 20 (set by your external resistors), the most you can get out is 10...

Likes donpacino
when i do the calculation: Av = 1 + 2R/Rg which i have to "calculate overall circuit gain" is this "overall circuit gain" the closed loop gain?

nothing909 said:
when i do the calculation: Av = 1 + 2R/Rg which i have to "calculate overall circuit gain" is this "overall circuit gain" the closed loop gain?
Yes. When you analyze the opamp circuit that has negative feedback, you can initially make the assumption that the opamp Aol is infinite. That gives you the "virtual ground" property (where the - input is held at the same potential as the + input by the feedback) which helps you to solve for the Acl from the resistor values. You can then refine that by putting in the real Aol numbers to calculate the slight errors you get from the finite Aol.

berkeman said:
If the open loop gain at some frequency is 10 and you want the closed loop gain to be 20 (set by your external resistors), the most you can get out is 10...

I realize this is a homework help forum, but just a quick comment. This is where, in real life, an additional amplifier stage would have to be added (or a change in amplifier) to get your desired closed loop gain.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of INA frequency response?

The purpose of INA frequency response is to understand how the gain and circuit of an instrumentation amplifier affects its overall performance. This allows for better design and optimization of the amplifier for specific applications.

2. How is gain related to INA frequency response?

Gain is directly related to INA frequency response as it determines the magnitude of the output signal in relation to the input signal. A higher gain will result in a larger output signal, while a lower gain will result in a smaller output signal.

3. What is the open loop gain in INA frequency response?

The open loop gain is the gain of the amplifier without any feedback components. It represents the theoretical maximum gain of the amplifier and is used to calculate the overall frequency response of the amplifier.

4. How does the circuit affect INA frequency response?

The circuit of an instrumentation amplifier plays a crucial role in its frequency response. The components used in the circuit, such as resistors and capacitors, can affect the overall gain and bandwidth of the amplifier. A well-designed circuit is essential for achieving optimal frequency response.

5. Can INA frequency response be improved?

Yes, INA frequency response can be improved by using feedback components in the circuit to stabilize and adjust the gain and bandwidth. Additionally, careful selection of components and proper design techniques can also improve the overall performance of the amplifier.