Galaxies where V(obs) is less than V(bar)

• A
  • Thread starter bakerjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary, the observed velocities in the SPARC dataset may be lower or higher than expected from baryonic matter due to various factors such as the distribution of dark matter, non-spherical distribution of baryonic matter, or incomplete/inaccurate data or models.
bakerjay
TL;DR Summary
I'm confused by some galaxies from the SPARC dataset which seem to have velocities which are lower than expected from observed matter, instead of higher
I've been looking through the SPARC dataset (in particular, this part: http://astroweb.case.edu/SPARC/MassModels_Lelli2016c.mrt), and looking at the observed velocities vs velocities expected from baryonic matter.

While in some cases I see the sort of rotation curves I'd expect, with observed velocities higher than expected due to DM:
1679093989916.png
1679093998216.png

In lots of other cases I see the opposite - observed velocities far lower than expected from the baryonic matter:
1679094108188.png
1679094116873.png
1679094125116.png

What is going on here? I assume I'm missing something obvious/doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what...
(graphed here is the Vobs column, and (Vgas + Vdisk + Vbulge) as V(baryonic))

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There could be several explanations for this. First, it is possible that the baryonic matter is not distributed in the same way as the dark matter, and therefore the velocity due to baryonic matter is not a good estimate. Additionally, some of the galaxies in the dataset may have more extended dark matter halos than expected, leading to lower observed velocities than expected from the baryonic matter. Finally, it is also possible that the baryonic matter is not distributed in a spherically symmetric way. This could lead to a decrease in the rotational velocity even if the total mass is the same.

Likes bakerjay
It's possible that the observed velocities are actually lower than expected due to baryonic matter because you haven't taken into account the effects of non-baryonic dark matter. Dark matter is believed to make up the majority of the mass in galaxies, and its gravitational influence can cause the observed velocities to be lower than expected. Additionally, if there is a large amount of gas or dust present in the galaxy, this could also reduce the observed velocities. Finally, it's also possible that the data or model you are using is incomplete or inaccurate, resulting in incorrect predictions for the velocities.

Likes bakerjay

1. What does "V(obs) is less than V(bar)" mean in relation to galaxies?

"V(obs) is less than V(bar)" refers to the observed velocity of a galaxy being less than the expected velocity based on the galaxy's mass. This discrepancy is known as the "galaxy rotation problem" and is a major puzzle in astrophysics.

2. How does this discrepancy affect our understanding of galaxies?

The fact that V(obs) is less than V(bar) challenges our current understanding of how galaxies form and evolve. It suggests that there may be other factors at play, such as dark matter, that we have yet to fully understand.

3. Are there any theories or explanations for this discrepancy?

There are several theories and explanations being explored by scientists to account for the discrepancy between observed and expected velocities in galaxies. These include the presence of dark matter, modified theories of gravity, and the effects of baryonic matter on the rotation of galaxies.

4. How do scientists study galaxies with V(obs) less than V(bar)?

To study galaxies with V(obs) less than V(bar), scientists use a variety of techniques such as spectroscopy, which measures the velocities of stars within a galaxy, and gravitational lensing, which can reveal the distribution of mass within a galaxy. They also use computer simulations to model and understand the behavior of these galaxies.

5. What impact does this have on our understanding of the universe?

The discrepancy between observed and expected velocities in galaxies has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It challenges our current theories and models of how galaxies form and evolve, and suggests that there may be more to the universe than what we can currently observe. It also highlights the need for further research and exploration in this area to gain a better understanding of the true nature of galaxies and the universe as a whole.