Galois Extension with intermediate field that is not Galois

In summary, the conversation discusses finding fields K<M<L such that K:L is Galois but K:M is not. The idea of using powers of two is suggested, as well as considering a polynomial with two kinds of roots. The suggestion of using powers of 3 is made, and it is noted that Q(ac) where a is the third real root of some integer n and c is a primitive third root of unity may work. It is also noted that the minimal polynomial of ac over Q will be x^3-a and will split in Q(ac), while the minimal polynomial of a over Q is also x^3-a but will not split in Q(a). It is concluded that these statements are correct.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Hey PF, I'm trying to find fields K<M<L such that K:L is Galois but K:M is not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first idea was let K=Q the field of rational numbers and c be a primitive 6th root of unity, so then Q<Q(c^4)<Q(c). Q:Q(c) Is galois, and I'm hoping that Q<Q(c^4) is not. Then again, would c^4 be a third primitive root of unity? If so then Q<Q(c^4) would be Galois I believe. Right?

Can anyone help me find something that would work?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you deal with powers of two, you will probably find a lot of conjugates. This means that with one root, the other one is found by an automorphism. What if you consider a polynomial with two kinds of roots: a conjugate pair and another one? Which power comes to mind in such a case?

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
As long as you deal with powers of two, you will probably find a lot of conjugates. This means that with one root, the other one is found by an automorphism. What if you consider a polynomial with two kinds of roots: a conjugate pair and another one? Which power comes to mind in such a case?

Powers of 3 come to mind. A splitting field for x^3-1=(x-1)(x^2+x+1). However if c is a primitive third root of unity then Q(c)=Q(c^2) so I do not think that this example will help me find an extension with a non-Galois intermediate field. Perhaps Q(ac) where a is the third real root of some integer n and c is a primitive third root of unity, then Q<Q(a)<Q(ac) where Q:Q(ac) is Galois and Q:(a) is not. the minimal polynomial of ac over Q will be x^3-a, and this polynomial will split in Q(ac).
But the minimal polynomial of a over Q is also x^3-a and this polynomial will not split in Q(a).

Are my statements correct?

PsychonautQQ said:
Powers of 3 come to mind. A splitting field for x^3-1=(x-1)(x^2+x+1). However if c is a primitive third root of unity then Q(c)=Q(c^2) so I do not think that this example will help me find an extension with a non-Galois intermediate field. Perhaps Q(ac) where a is the third real root of some integer n and c is a primitive third root of unity, then Q<Q(a)<Q(ac) where Q:Q(ac) is Galois and Q:(a) is not. the minimal polynomial of ac over Q will be x^3-a, and this polynomial will split in Q(ac).
But the minimal polynomial of a over Q is also x^3-a and this polynomial will not split in Q(a).

Are my statements correct?
Would have been easier to read if you just said ##2## instead of ##a## and didn't introduce ##n## because you confused yourself ("a is the third real root of some integer n" and then "x^3-a"), but, yes, you're correct.

Likes PsychonautQQ

1. What is a Galois Extension with intermediate field that is not Galois?

A Galois Extension with intermediate field that is not Galois is a type of field extension in abstract algebra where the intermediate field is not necessarily a Galois extension. This means that the intermediate field does not have the same automorphism group as the original field extension.

2. How is this type of extension different from a regular Galois extension?

A regular Galois extension has the property that the intermediate field is also a Galois extension with the same automorphism group. However, in a Galois Extension with intermediate field that is not Galois, the intermediate field does not necessarily have the same automorphism group as the original field extension.

3. What is the significance of studying Galois Extensions with intermediate fields that are not Galois?

Studying Galois Extensions with intermediate fields that are not Galois allows us to explore more complex and nuanced field extensions, which can have applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory. It also helps us better understand the structure and properties of field extensions in general.

4. Can a Galois Extension with intermediate field that is not Galois still have a finite degree?

Yes, a Galois Extension with intermediate field that is not Galois can still have a finite degree. However, the degree of the intermediate field may not necessarily be the same as the degree of the original field extension.

5. Are there any well-known examples of Galois Extensions with intermediate fields that are not Galois?

Yes, one example is the cyclotomic extension of the rational numbers, which has an intermediate field that is not a Galois extension. Another example is the extension generated by the roots of a polynomial with non-rational coefficients, which also has an intermediate field that is not Galois.