Is this a Galois extension?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extension
In summary: L## is a Galois extension.In summary, the Galois group of a field over a prime field is isomorphic to the cyclic group of that field.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let Q < L < Q(c) where c is a primitive nth root of unity over Q. Is [L:Q] a Galois extension?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L must be equal to Q(d) where d is a non primitive nth root of unity. [Q(d):Q] is not a galois extension because the minimal polynomial of d over Q is x^d -1, and this polynomial has d roots, not all of which are in Q. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean for ##\mathbb{Q}\subsetneq \mathbb{Q}(d)## to be a Galois extension? Can the minimal polynomial of ##d## have other roots than powers of ##d##? By the way ##x^d-1## is not the minimal polynomial, but only a factor of this: ##x-1## divides ##x^d-1## and the result is still in ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##. So why should we call such a polynomial minimal though?

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
What does it mean for ##\mathbb{Q}\subsetneq \mathbb{Q}(d)## to be a Galois extension? Can the minimal polynomial of ##d## have other roots than powers of ##d##? By the way ##x^d-1## is not the minimal polynomial, but only a factor of this: ##x-1## divides ##x^d-1## and the result is still in ##\mathbb{Q}[x]##. So why should we call such a polynomial minimal though?
Q<Q(d) is a galois extension if Q(d) is a finite normal and separable extension. We know it is separable because Char(Q)=0. If Q(d) is a finite and normal extension then it is a splitting field for the minimal polynomial of d in Q. The minimal polynomial of d will be a factor of x^d-1, but I'm not sure if the roots of it's minimal polynomial are all powers of d; if they are, then I suspect this is a Galois extension.

PsychonautQQ said:
Q<Q(d) is a galois extension if Q(d) is a finite normal and separable extension. We know it is separable because Char(Q)=0. If Q(d) is a finite and normal extension then it is a splitting field for the minimal polynomial of d in Q. The minimal polynomial of d will be a factor of x^d-1, but I'm not sure if the roots of it's minimal polynomial are all powers of d; if they are, then I suspect this is a Galois extension.
You don't need the powers. Only the definition of normal. Firstly, how did you find ##d##? And why has it to be of the claimed form, i.e. its minimal polynomial a divisor of ##(x^d-1)##? Btw, it's a bit confusing to denote the element by ##d## as well as the degree of ##x^d-1##. One is a complex and one a natural number. And then, does this situation differ at any point from the one you started at?

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
You don't need the powers. Only the definition of normal. Firstly, how did you find ##d##? And why has it to be of the claimed form, i.e. its minimal polynomial a divisor of ##(x^d-1)##? Btw, it's a bit confusing to denote the element by ##d## as well as the degree of ##x^d-1##. One is a complex and one a natural number. And then, does this situation differ at any point from the one you started at?

my bad, I'm more lost than I thought I suppose. I was thinking something like if the degree of d is n then the minimal polynomial of d will be a divisor of x^n-1. Am I way off track here?

PsychonautQQ said:
my bad, I'm more lost than I thought I suppose. I was thinking something like if the degree of d is n then the minimal polynomial of d will be a divisor of x^n-1. Am I way off track here?
You should proceed step by step.

What we have is ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(c)## with a primitive ##h-##th root of unity, i.e. ##c^h=1##. (I choose ##h## because you burnt ##n## in your question.) Let us define the minimal polynomial of ##c## by ##m_c(x)##. Then ##m_c(x)\,\vert \,(x^h-1)## and ##m_c(x)## is the product of all ##(x-c^k)## with ##(k,h)=1## being coprime. The Galois group of ##\mathbb{Q}(c)## over ##\mathbb{Q}## is isomorphic to the cyclic group ##\mathbb{Z}_h^* = \mathbb{Z}_{\varphi(h)}##.

Now we assume a field ##\mathbb{Q} \subseteq L \subseteq \mathbb{Q}(c)## and we know, that its Galois group is a cyclic subgroup ##\mathbb{Z}_n## of ##\mathbb{Z}_{\varphi(h)}##, i.e. ##n\cdot m = \varphi(h)## for some ##m##. We may further assume that ##\mathbb{Z}_n## is generated by a (single) automorphism of order ##n##, which is also an automorphism ##\sigma## of ##\mathbb{Q}(c)## and therefore ##\sigma^{\varphi(h)}=(\sigma^m)^n = 1##. So ##\mathbb{Z}_n=\{\sigma^m,\sigma^{2m},\ldots,\sigma^{(n-1)m},\sigma^{nm}=1\}## is the Galois group of ##L##. This means in return that ##L## consists of all elements ##a##, that can be substituted by ##\sigma^{m}(a)##.

This is what we know from the given situation. And it might be helpful to have examples like ##h=12, 16## or ##24## in mind. Now from here we can either list all elements ##a \in L## given a basis of ##\mathbb{Q}(c)## over ##\mathbb{Q}##, i.e. powers of ##c##, or construct a primitive element ##d## (and show that ##L=\mathbb{Q}(d)##).

1. What is a Galois extension?

A Galois extension is a type of field extension in abstract algebra that has important properties related to the roots of polynomial equations. It is named after the mathematician Évariste Galois.

2. How is a Galois extension different from other field extensions?

A Galois extension has the property that its automorphism group is isomorphic to its Galois group, which means that the field extension is closed under a certain set of transformations. This is not true for all field extensions.

3. How can I determine if a given field extension is Galois?

To determine if a field extension is Galois, you can check if the extension is normal, separable, and finite. If it satisfies all three conditions, it is a Galois extension.

4. What is the significance of a Galois extension?

Galois extensions have important applications in mathematics, specifically in the study of field theory and algebraic number theory. They also have implications in other fields such as cryptography and physics.

5. Can a field extension be both Galois and non-Galois?

No, a field extension is either Galois or non-Galois. There is no overlap between the two categories.