Gamma Ray Burst / Jet Questions

In summary, the conversation is about the comparison between Gamma Ray Burst emissions in space and those created by a man-made device. The first photo is a Google image of a Gamma Ray Burst, while the second photo is an artist's impression of the device's emissions. The OP is trying to figure out the cause of the different behaviors and colors in the two types of emissions. The thread is closed due to safety concerns.
braxton
TL;DR Summary
Gamma Ray Burst Jets vs Electric Spark / Plasma Photon Light Emissions
The 1st photo is a Google image of a Gamma ray Burst in space, the image in the other photo is being emitted from a device I am playing around with. I am just wondering what is the cause of or what dictates the behavior of actual Gamma Ray Bursts in space vs whatever light patters are in the photo I took from the arc or plasma created in a man made device. Also, in the photo I took there are multiple colors being emitted from the sides, where on most pictures I see of a Gamma Ray Burst in space there is only a single color. All though 2 completely different things I was curious to ask because they both share a very similar outline.
GRBinBinary.jpg
1674809584326~3.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is this related to your previous thread about your non-vacuum particle accelerator?

braxton said:
Thank you so much for replying and trying to help me out! I'm really not trying to come here to find out how to build one as I already have the set up I'm using. I'm more or less trying to get ideas of what some of the products I'm seeing that are being produced are, e.g ( the straight lines emitting from the stone, radiations, etc... ) I definitely don't want to have any of the threads I post closed. What causes people to have the threads closed?

No

braxton said:
The 1st photo
Is not a photo. It says right on the caption "artist's impression".
So the thread us based on a faulty premise.

Likes davenn
braxton said:
TL;DR Summary: Gamma Ray Burst Jets vs Electric Spark / Plasma Photon Light Emissions

The 1st photo is a Google image of a Gamma ray Burst in space, the image in the other photo is being emitted from a device I am playing around with. I am just wondering what is the cause of or what dictates the behavior of actual Gamma Ray Bursts in space vs whatever light patters are in the photo I took from the arc or plasma created in a man made device. Also, in the photo I took there are multiple colors being emitted from the sides, where on most pictures I see of a Gamma Ray Burst in space there is only a single color. All though 2 completely different things I was curious to ask because they both share a very similar outline.
View attachment 321263View attachment 321264
Re your Google image.You would not see anything as our eyes detect between 400-700nm approximately, gamma ray wave lengths are shorter than this.
Images from space are typically assigned colours to give a sense of structure. The pretty ones from Hubble and JWST.
Purple is logical to assign to higher energy radiation (to me but probably not to all pf) as UV is where the cut off starts.

Re the other image.
If you are somehow producing high energy radiation from your in house accelerator then this will be against pf rules to comment on that specifically, there are health and safety implications.
The mentors will clarify.

Likes berkeman
pinball1970 said:
You would not see anything as our eyes detect between 400-700nm approximately, gamma ray wave lengths are shorter than this.
Gamma ray bursts have an optical counterpart, however.

But it isn't a photo, and that's something the OP should have told us, but didn't.

berkeman said:
Is this related to your previous thread about your non-vacuum particle accelerator?
braxton said:
No

I don't believe you. This thread is closed for safety reasons as well.

Likes pinball1970 and Nugatory

1. What is a gamma ray burst?

A gamma ray burst (GRB) is a powerful explosion of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that occurs in distant galaxies. It is the most energetic event in the universe, releasing as much energy in a few seconds as the sun does in its entire lifetime.

2. How are gamma ray bursts formed?

There are two main theories for the formation of gamma ray bursts: the collapse of a massive star and the merger of two neutron stars. In the first scenario, a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses, creating a black hole and releasing a burst of gamma rays. In the second scenario, two neutron stars orbiting each other merge, also creating a black hole and releasing a burst of gamma rays.

3. Can gamma ray bursts harm Earth?

It is highly unlikely that a gamma ray burst would harm Earth. They occur in distant galaxies and the energy released is highly directional, so only a small fraction of the energy would reach Earth. Additionally, Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field would protect us from the effects of the gamma rays.

4. How long do gamma ray bursts last?

Gamma ray bursts typically last from a few milliseconds to a few minutes. However, some have been observed to last for several hours. The duration of a GRB depends on the mechanism that caused it and the amount of energy released.

5. What is the difference between a gamma ray burst and a jet?

A gamma ray burst is the initial explosion of high-energy radiation, while a jet is the narrow beam of particles and radiation that is emitted from the source of the GRB. The jet is thought to be responsible for the long-lasting afterglow of a GRB, which can be observed for days or weeks after the initial burst.