Question on multiple rebrightening gamma ray bursts and gravity waves

• I
  • Thread starter Sware
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Correlation
Sware
TL;DR Summary
Has anyone correlated gravity waves with multiple rebrightening gamma ray bursts where the bursts are of constant time separation?
Hi Guys. I am interested to find out if anyone at the IPTA or other relevant organizations have correlated gravity waves with multiple rebrightening gamma ray bursts where there is a constant time (t) between 3 or more rebrightening's? If so, did the detection of the gravity wave occur between 0-0.25t seconds before the first brightening peak. Example gamma ray bursts below - I added the red curves.

I am just an interested amateur and have not done any university math's since 1988 so please be kind!!
1698176480145.png

Here's a couple of older (before the IPTA started measuring) GRB's with 3 peaks for example
1698176818126.png
1698176862842.png
1698176920169.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
Sware said:
gravity waves

(gravitational waves) :wink:

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for the correction berkeman - I shall be more careful with my nomenclature.
It seems though that there are no takers for this very specific question. Guess no one knows at the moment ☹. Would be interesting to know if any gravitational waves do get correlated with MRGRB's and actually lead the first brightening peak (not the rumble before) by <=0.25 x the peak to peak separation.

Sware said:
I am interested to find out if anyone at the IPTA or other relevant organizations have correlated gravity waves with multiple rebrightening gamma ray bursts where there is a constant time (t) between 3 or more rebrightening's?
The only way to do this would be if there was a LIGO detection corresponding to these events. At least with a quick web search, it does not appear that that was the case.

Hi Peter
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at LIGO but the frequency range of 1-1000Hz is too high.
(Black hole mergers an example). The waves I am looking at would be in the mHz to nHz range - see pic below
1699388947965.png

(https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/543797/difference-between-gravitational-wave-detectors)

LISA is the best bet to pick up gravitational waves of the mHz range (if any are associated with MRGRB's).
1699389395407.png

It hasn't been been launched yet - 2037 planned launch! Ill be old then!!
(https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/LISA_factsheet)
I'm hoping the IPTA has picked up low frequency waves that look like below. X axis is time. Y axis would be flight time of pulses from pulsars relative to c. Looks totally different to LIGO black hole merger waves. Would be nice to know if this type of gravitational wave exists.
1699390327828.png

Sware said:
The waves I am looking at would be in the mHz to nHz range
Based on what?

Sware said:
I'm hoping the IPTA has picked up low frequency waves that look like below.
Based on what?

Sware said:
nHz range
Nanohertz means a period of decades. Are you sure that's what you mean?

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses - been a bit busy.
@PeterDonis - I'm trying to gather evidence for an Idea I have. No good talking about it until I have something to go on - would be a bit foolish as I am just a layman when it comes to Cosmology. It's probably wrong but you never know. Lets see if those waves exist first. Any help with finding if these exist would be gratefully received :)

@Vanadium 50 - If you look at the chart above of the frequency ranges of gravitational waves, the stochastic background is around -nano Hz (you need the IPTA to detect these - https://ipta4gw.org/). The wavelength of MRGRB's would be in the milli Hz range. So there may be waves anywhere in the range of milli to nano Hz. We are talking about space so decades may be plausible?
Thanks for your interest and helpful comments guys.

Sware said:
I'm trying to gather evidence for an Idea I have.
Personal research is off topic for discussion here.

What causes multiple rebrightenings in gamma-ray bursts?

Multiple rebrightenings in gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are generally thought to be caused by complex interactions within the jet emitted from the burst, or by the interaction of the jet with the surrounding medium. Variations in the engine activity, such as intermittent engine output or collisions between faster and slower shells of ejected material, can also lead to multiple peaks in the light curve of a GRB.

How are gamma-ray bursts related to gravitational waves?

Gamma-ray bursts, especially those classified as long GRBs, are believed to be caused by the collapse of massive stars or the merger of neutron stars, both of which are cataclysmic events that can generate gravitational waves. The detection of gravitational waves in conjunction with gamma-ray bursts can provide direct evidence of these cosmic phenomena and help to understand the physics driving them.

What are gravitational waves and how are they detected?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by some of the most violent and energetic processes in the Universe. These waves are detected using observatories like LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), which measures the minute disturbances in spacetime caused by passing gravitational waves using highly sensitive laser interferometry.

Can multiple rebrightenings in gamma-ray bursts help in understanding the physics of neutron stars or black holes?

Yes, the study of multiple rebrightenings in gamma-ray bursts can provide significant insights into the physics of neutron stars or black holes. Analyzing these patterns can help scientists understand the stability, mass, and spin of these compact objects, as well as the dynamics of matter under extreme gravitational fields.

What potential scientific breakthroughs could arise from studying the connection between gamma-ray bursts and gravitational waves?

Studying the connection between gamma-ray bursts and gravitational waves could lead to several scientific breakthroughs, including improved understanding of the fundamental laws of physics under extreme conditions, better constraints on the equation of state of ultra-dense matter, insights into the rate of expansion of the Universe, and the behavior of matter and energy under extreme gravitational fields. This research could also refine our models of stellar evolution and death, and enhance our understanding of the origins of heavy elements in the universe.