What Is the Best Method to Calculate Gas Flow Through an Orifice?

In summary, when trying to find the gas flow through an orifice connecting two vessels at different pressures, various equations and standards can be used such as the ISO 5167-2 for orifice plates and the ISO 9300 for Critical Flow Venturi formula. The LenoxLaser calculator is also available for quick approximations, but for more accuracy and details, the ISO standards and equations provided in NIST's research paper may be more suitable.
FranzS
Summary:: How to find gas flow through an orifice that links two vessels at different pressures.

Two vessels containing the same gas are linked through an orifice with diameter ##d##. The pressure inside vessel 1 is ##P_1## and the pressure inside vessel 2 is ##P_2##, and let's have ##P_1>P_2## (both are known values). These pressures never change despite the gas flow from vessel 1 to vessel 2 (I guess it's like assuming the vessels have infinite volumes).
Which formula should I use to find out the gas flow (for example, number of moles per second) from vessel 1 to vessel 2, as a function of the pressures ##P_1##, ##P_2## and the orifice diameter ##d##?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you find in your 'toolbox' (textbook, notes, ...) ?
Or on the net ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
What did you find in your 'toolbox' (textbook, notes, ...) ?
Or on the net ?

##\ ##
I came across some "orifice equations" and "discharge coefficient", but these formulae take into account pipe diameters and/or potential energy of the fluid (gravity acceleration and height)... I honestly can't find what I'm searching for.
By the way, I'm assuming an ideally isothermal process.
I found this online calculator which provides what I'm looking for, but I do not know which formula it uses:
https://lenoxlaser.com/resources/calculators/orifice-calculator/

By the way, I see it was moved to Homework help, which actuaslly isn't.

We had a comparable thread here. Calculator there any use ?
At least is's orifice flow and it shows the equations.

##\ ##

Likes FluidDroog
Dimensional analysis reveals there is not enough info.
You are given only a pressure difference, ##ML^{-1}T^{-2}##, and a linear distance, ##L##.
It's unclear whether you are to find the volumetric flow or the mass flow. Since there's an irremovable M in the inputs, suppose it is mass flow. But that is ##MT^{-1}##. There is no way to construct that. Combining the inputs to remove the L leaves ##MT^{-2}##.

Hi,

I use the LenoxLaser calculator for orifice flow approximations when I need something fast. I agree with you that their explanation is bit underwhelming [1]. From that I assume you are interested in details and accuracy.

The ISO standard for flow rate through orifices is ISO 5167-2. The equations and uncertainty analysis is there for you. As well as best practices. Note that this standard has a series for different orifice shapes.

If you need something simpler than the orifice equation. The Critical Flow Venturi formula is as simple as it gets (because it is an ideal case). For that, the relevant standard is ISO 9300.

Equations 1 and 2 of [4] is what I use for your problem. References:
[1] lenox laser orifice calculator explanation https://lenoxlaser.com/publications/fluid-flow-through-calibrated-orifices/
[2] ISO 5167-2 Orifice plates https://www.iso.org/standard/30190.html
[3]ISO 9300 CFV https://www.iso.org/standard/34272.html
[4] NIST comparison of theoretical CFV models to experiment. https://tsapps.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=830961

Likes berkeman

1. What is gas flow through an orifice?

Gas flow through an orifice refers to the movement of a gas through a small opening or hole, typically in a pipe or container. The gas is forced through the orifice due to a pressure difference between the two sides of the opening.

2. How does an orifice affect gas flow?

An orifice restricts the flow of gas, causing it to accelerate as it passes through the smaller opening. This increase in velocity leads to a decrease in pressure, which can be used to control the flow rate of the gas.

3. What factors affect gas flow through an orifice?

The flow rate of gas through an orifice is affected by the size and shape of the orifice, the properties of the gas (such as density and viscosity), and the pressure difference across the orifice.

4. What is the equation for calculating gas flow through an orifice?

The most commonly used equation for calculating gas flow through an orifice is the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure difference, density, and velocity of the gas. Other equations, such as the Torricelli's law, can also be used depending on the specific conditions.

5. What are some applications of gas flow through an orifice?

Gas flow through an orifice is used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as controlling the flow rate of gases in chemical processes, measuring gas flow in pipelines, and regulating the fuel-air mixture in combustion engines. It is also used in gas flow meters and pressure regulators.