Gas Mass Calcuation in Galaxy Cluster

In summary, the authors used X-Ray emissions from Galaxy Clusters to calculate the mass of the cluster. They used a standard surface brightness profile formula and then calculated the central electron density. They were unable to connect the central electron density to a function that provided the mass at a given radius, r. They concluded the hot gas mass was 5.1 times 10^{14} h_{50}^{\frac{-5}{2}} M⊙.
Earnest Guest
I found this: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1992A&A...259L..31B document that describes how the X-Ray emissions from galaxy clusters are used to calculate the mass of the cluster. I'm unable to follow the steps to calculating the gas mass.

Specifically, in section (2) there is a formula for the surface brightness profile that appears to be pretty standard:

[itex]S(r) = S_0(1+({\frac{r}{a}})^2)^{(0.5-3\beta)}[/itex]​

The authors then go on to calculate the central electron density:

[itex]n_0 = 2.89 \times 10^{-3} h_{50}^{1/2} cm^{-3}[/itex]
I can't make the connection from the central electron density to a function that provides the mass at a given radius, r. The authors conclude the hot gas mass is

[itex]5.1 \times 10^{14} h_{50}^{\frac{-5}{2}} M⊙[/itex]
but I don't see how they get from A to B.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Following the references back, this paper gives a little bit more detail.

Unfortunately, the specific math they're using gets pretty complicated as they're using certain assumptions about the distribution of the cluster gas in order to make the problem tractable given their observations. Wish I knew of a source that walked through all of the steps.

Chalnoth said:
Following the references back, this paper gives a little bit more detail.

Unfortunately, the specific math they're using gets pretty complicated as they're using certain assumptions about the distribution of the cluster gas in order to make the problem tractable given their observations. Wish I knew of a source that walked through all of the steps.
Yeah, it's like the gnomes on South Park:
1. Steal Underwear
2. ?
3. Profit!

I've got as far as a density profile but I can't get the next step. Any chance someone can give me an analytical solution to:

[itex]\int_0^R k\Big(1+(\frac{r}{a})^2\Big)^p r^2 dr[/itex]​

Last edited:

1. How is gas mass calculated in galaxy clusters?

Gas mass in galaxy clusters is typically calculated by measuring the X-ray emission from the hot, ionized gas within the cluster. This emission is directly proportional to the gas density, allowing us to estimate the total mass of the gas within the cluster.

2. Why is gas mass important in understanding galaxy clusters?

Gas mass is an important parameter in understanding galaxy clusters because it makes up a significant portion of the total mass in these systems. By studying the gas mass, we can gain insight into the formation and evolution of galaxy clusters, as well as the larger-scale structure of the universe.

3. How do you account for dark matter in gas mass calculations?

Dark matter is a major component of the total mass in galaxy clusters, and it cannot be directly observed. Therefore, in gas mass calculations, we typically assume a certain ratio of gas mass to dark matter mass based on theoretical models and observations of other galaxy clusters.

4. How do you measure the temperature of gas in galaxy clusters?

The temperature of gas in galaxy clusters can be measured using X-ray spectroscopy. By analyzing the energy spectrum of the X-ray emission, we can determine the temperature of the gas based on the shape and intensity of certain emission lines.

5. Are there any uncertainties in gas mass calculations for galaxy clusters?

Yes, there are several uncertainties in gas mass calculations for galaxy clusters. These can include assumptions about the gas density and temperature, as well as uncertainties in the gas-to-dark matter ratio. Additionally, there may be systematic errors in the X-ray observations that can affect the calculated gas mass.