Gas Turbine & Psychrometric chart

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding and importance of the Psychrometric Chart in relation to air quality and potential risks of moisture and corrosion in engines. The conversation also mentions a source for learning about the Psychrometric Chart and the effect of pressure on water vapor condensation.
masa
Hi Everyone,
So I seem to have many problems understanding the Psychrometric chart and its physical meaning. First of all, I would be so thankful if you could introduce me a source which can be useful to physically and fundamentally understand the dew point, effect of pressure, humidity... and better to say Psychrometric chart.

Actually I was reading some articles about gas turbine, and I have started to think about the air input, its quality, and the risk of moisture and consequently corrosion. There should be a risk of water drops in compressor if the vapor in inlet air condenses... It is here where my problem with psychometry starts... so if the compressor increases the pressure of air, it means that the probability of condensation increases or decreases?

I hope you can help me understand the fundamental of psychometry, I feel embarrassed not to understand it well :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Modern engines can ingest huge amounts of rain without too many problems .

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/how-ge-tests-jet-engines/

The engine integrity tests carried out are very rigorous and include rain , hail , cowling ice , frozen chickens and deliberately broken fan blades .

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Check out this site for learning about the Psychrometric Chart. Yes an increase in pressure can cause water vapor to condense.

Edit: Here's the link http://www.powerknot.com/how-to-read-and-use-a-psychrometric-chart.html
I failed at embedding it.

Last edited:
AndrewHolowack said:
Check out this site for learning about the Psychrometric Chart. Yes an increase in pressure can cause water vapor to condense.
Which site is that? There's no link apparent.

Regarding water vapour formation and condensation - anyone remember the cloud chamber experiments from school days ?

Thnaks everyone!

1. What is a gas turbine?

A gas turbine is a type of heat engine that generates mechanical energy from the combustion of fuel and air. It is commonly used to power aircrafts, ships, and power plants.

2. How does a gas turbine work?

A gas turbine works by compressing air and mixing it with fuel in a combustion chamber. The resulting hot gas expands and is directed through a turbine, which converts the energy into rotational motion. The rotational motion is then used to power a generator or propel an aircraft.

3. What is the purpose of a psychrometric chart?

A psychrometric chart is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic properties of air. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of air in different conditions, such as temperature, humidity, and pressure. It is commonly used in HVAC design and for understanding the performance of gas turbines.

4. How is a psychrometric chart useful for gas turbine operations?

A psychrometric chart is useful for gas turbine operations as it allows engineers to determine the ideal conditions for optimal performance and efficiency. By analyzing the chart, they can adjust factors such as inlet air temperature and humidity to improve the turbine's output and reduce energy consumption.

5. Can a gas turbine operate at any point on the psychrometric chart?

No, a gas turbine can only operate within a specific range of conditions on the psychrometric chart. If the air entering the turbine is too hot, it can cause damage to the components. Similarly, if the air is too humid, it can affect the combustion process and decrease efficiency. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the conditions on the psychrometric chart when operating a gas turbine.