How pressure increases in centrifugal compressor?

In summary, the principles of operation of a centrifugal compressor involve the rotation of the impeller at high speed, inducing air into the center and causing it to flow radially outward, thus increasing both the velocity and pressure of the air. This pressure increase occurs both in the impeller and the diffuser section, with about half of the pressure rise occurring in each. The impeller contributes to the pressure increase through centrifugal force and can also act as a diffuser. Further clarification on the concept can be found in the book "Centrifugal and Axial Flow Pumps" by A.J. Stepanoff.
Science20
TL;DR Summary
Confusion about operation principle of centrifugal compressor
I have read this in my textbook about principles of operation of centrifugal compressor:

"The impeller is rotated at high speed by the turbine and air is continuously induced into the center of the impeller. Centrifugal action causes it to flow radially outwards along the vanes to the impeller tip, thus accelerating the air and also causing a rise in pressure to occur. The engine intake duct may contain vanes that provide an initial swirl to the air entering the compressor. The air, on leaving the impeller, passes into the diffuser section where the passages form divergent nozzles that convert most of the kinetic energy into pressure energy. In practice, it is usual to design the compressor so that about half of the pressure rise occurs in the impeller and half in the diffuser."

I thought that the pressure increase is only obtained in the diffuser part of the compressor as kinetic energy is converted to pressure, how compressor impeller also contributes to pressure increase?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is in the following figure from Chapter 3: Theory of the Centrifugal Pump Impeller in the book Centrifugal and Axial Flow Pumps by A.J. Stepanoff.
Impeller.jpg

Please don't ask me to interpret it. I read the rest of the book and only skimmed the theory chapter. This figure is from a book about pumps, so is based on incompressible flow. Your question adds the additional factor of compressible flow. I expect that a better discussion would be in the following book by the same author, which I have not read: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007E6V9I/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Out of print, but should be in some engineering libraries.

Or an oversimplified answer would be that the impeller spins, and centrifugal force pushes the gas outward hard enough to compress it.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
The impeller can also be a diffuser. Looking at the following velocity triangles, when you consider the relative velocities (i.e. ignoring the fact that the impeller rotates, just the flow through it) you can see that ##v_{r2}## can be set smaller than ##v_{r1}##, meaning that while traveling through the impeller, the air pressure rises.

locity-traingle-diagram-for-centrifugal-compressor.jpg

Thank you so much. The concept is now clear to me.

Likes berkeman

1. How does a centrifugal compressor increase pressure?

A centrifugal compressor increases pressure by converting kinetic energy into potential energy. As the gas or fluid enters the compressor, it is accelerated by the rotating impeller. This acceleration increases the velocity and kinetic energy of the gas. The gas then enters the diffuser, where it is slowed down and the kinetic energy is converted into pressure energy, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. What factors affect the pressure increase in a centrifugal compressor?

The pressure increase in a centrifugal compressor is affected by several factors, including the speed of the compressor, the design of the impeller and diffuser, the density and temperature of the gas or fluid being compressed, and the number of stages in the compressor. These factors all play a role in determining the efficiency and pressure ratio of the compressor.

3. How does the speed of a centrifugal compressor affect the pressure increase?

The speed of a centrifugal compressor has a direct impact on the pressure increase. As the speed increases, the impeller rotates faster, resulting in a higher velocity and kinetic energy of the gas. This leads to a higher pressure increase in the diffuser. However, there is an optimal speed for each compressor design, and operating above this speed can lead to decreased efficiency and potentially damaging levels of pressure.

4. What is the role of the diffuser in the pressure increase of a centrifugal compressor?

The diffuser plays a critical role in the pressure increase of a centrifugal compressor. Its purpose is to slow down the high-velocity gas exiting the impeller and convert its kinetic energy into pressure energy. The design of the diffuser, including its shape and angle, affects the efficiency and pressure ratio of the compressor. A well-designed diffuser is crucial for achieving a high pressure increase.

5. How does the number of stages in a centrifugal compressor impact the pressure increase?

The number of stages in a centrifugal compressor refers to the number of impellers and diffusers that the gas passes through. Each stage increases the pressure of the gas, and therefore, the more stages a compressor has, the higher the pressure increase will be. However, adding more stages also increases the complexity and cost of the compressor, so the number of stages must be carefully considered in the design process.