Gauge Pressure at the Bottom of Ocean on Mars

In summary, Scientists have found evidence that Mars may have once had an ocean .5km deep with an acceleration due to gravity of 3.71m/s^2. To calculate the gauge pressure at the bottom of this hypothetical ocean, the formula p=ρgh can be used, resulting in a gauge pressure of 1855000 Pa. To solve part b of the problem, the same formula can be used with Earth's values to determine the depth in Earth's ocean that would experience the same gauge pressure. Atmospheric pressure is not necessary for calculating gauge pressure.
forestmine

Homework Statement

Scientists have found evidence that Mars may once have had an ocean .5km deep. The acceleration due to gravity on Mars is 3.71m/s^2.

(a) What would be the gauge pressure at the bottom of such an ocean, assuming it was freshwater?
(b) To what depth would you need to go in the Earth's ocean to experience the same gauge pressure?

Homework Equations

p=p[itex]_{0}[/itex]+ρgh

gauge pressure = absolute pressure - atmospheric pressure

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm thinking is that I can calculate the absolute pressure by using p=ρgh, so p=(1000)(3.71)(500)=1855000 Pa.

But I think I'm getting a little confused about my absolute and atmospheric pressures. Absolute should be the pressure at the bottom of 500m, I believe. What should I be using for my atmospheric pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
forestmine said:

Homework Equations

p=p[itex]_{0}[/itex]+ρgh

gauge pressure = absolute pressure - atmospheric pressure

if P = absolute pressure, then P-P0 would be the gauge pressure wouldn't it? (or just 'ρgh'.

forestmine said:

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm thinking is that I can calculate the absolute pressure by using p=ρgh, so p=(1000)(3.71)(500)=1855000 Pa.

But I think I'm getting a little confused about my absolute and atmospheric pressures. Absolute should be the pressure at the bottom of 500m, I believe. What should I be using for my atmospheric pressure?

Ok, so you're saying I've already calculated the gauge pressure by neglecting p[itex]_{0}[/itex] in my earlier equation?

If that's the case, how would I go about solving part b?

I am pretty sure that gauge pressure doesn't involve atmospheric pressure. Since Mars' atmosphere is quite different to Earth's, atmospheric pressure there has a value different than 101 kPa.
Anyway, the only equation you need is P = pgh (p is density; my cell phone doesn't have rho).

forestmine said:
Ok, so you're saying I've already calculated the gauge pressure by neglecting p[itex]_{0}[/itex] in my earlier equation?

If that's the case, how would I go about solving part b?

Right, well you'd use the gauge pressure you got earlier and using the same formula just with Earth values i.e. the value of 'g' on Earth.

1. What is gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars?

The gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars refers to the pressure exerted by the weight of the water at the bottom of the ocean, measured relative to the surrounding atmospheric pressure on Mars.

2. How is gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars measured?

Gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars can be measured using instruments such as pressure gauges or sensors that can withstand the harsh conditions on Mars. These instruments can be placed on the ocean floor or on a probe that is sent to explore the ocean.

3. Is the gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars different from Earth?

Yes, the gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars is different from Earth. This is due to the different atmospheric pressures and gravitational forces on the two planets.

4. How does the gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars affect marine life?

The gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars would have a significant impact on any potential marine life on the planet. Due to the high pressure, marine life would need to have unique adaptations to survive, such as thicker skin or the ability to expel excess gas from their bodies to avoid being crushed.

5. Can the gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars change?

Yes, the gauge pressure at the bottom of the ocean on Mars can change over time. This can be due to factors such as changes in the atmosphere or changes in the composition of the ocean itself. It can also vary depending on the depth of the ocean floor, as pressure increases with depth.