Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell

In summary, Gauss's law does not state that the electric field inside a non-uniformly charged spherical shell is zero. Even in extreme cases, such as a spherical shell containing a point charge, the electric field inside is not zero. While the flux through a Gaussian surface may be zero, this does not mean that the electric field at any particular point on the surface is also zero. Gauss's law states that the net flux through a Gaussian surface is proportional to the charge enclosed, so if there is no enclosed charge, the net flux will be zero but there may still be flux and a non-zero electric field inside the enclosed region.
nabeel17
So i can see by symmetry arguments why The electric field inside a uniformly charged spherical shell would be zero inside.

But what about a non uniformly charged spherical shell. Say most of the charge is located on one side, why is the electric field still zero? I can see that the flux through any Gaussian surface I draw inside may be zero but when I look at it I don't really understand why the electric field is 0. If most the charge is located on side, I would imagine that a test charge inside would either attract or be repelled since the charge is not uniform. Can someone clear this up for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well - consider the spherical shell is non-uniformly charged as follows ... all the charge is concentrated in a small spot on one side, and the rest is neutral. What is the field?

I think you need to ask - is this a conducting shell, or an insulator?

Likes 1 person
Gauss's law does not say that the electrical field inside a non-uniform spherical shell is zero. Consider an extreme case of a spherical shell that contains a point charge, with the rest of the shell vacuum. Is the electrical field inside that shell zero? Of course not.

Likes 1 person
nabeel17 said:
So i can see by symmetry arguments why The electric field inside a uniformly charged spherical shell would be zero inside.
Symmetry arguments say the field is zero at the center. To say it's zero everywhere inside requires evaluating an integral, which turns out to give zero everywhere inside. This is the Shell Theorem.

Ok I can see how the electric field is 0 inside if the sphere is uniformly charged but what if the sphere is not. What if say most of the charge is in one hemisphere?

A charged hemisphere looks like a point charge from very far away. Close up, you'll need to use spherical harmonics.

Simon Bridge said:

This was important.

D H said:
Gauss's law does not say that the electrical field inside a non-uniform spherical shell is zero. Consider an extreme case of a spherical shell that contains a point charge, with the rest of the shell vacuum. Is the electrical field inside that shell zero? Of course not.
Right but doesn't Gauss' law say that the flux (EA) = charge enclosed. So say i have a nonuniformly charged shell (maybe not the extreme case but charged more on side then another), the charge enclosed is zero so the electric field is zero? Or am I wrong about that...?

Simon Bridge said:
Well - consider the spherical shell is non-uniformly charged as follows ... all the charge is concentrated in a small spot on one side, and the rest is neutral. What is the field?

Here i can treat it as a point charge? But then the electric field inside is not zero? Talking about an insulator. The flux equals the charge enclose/epsilon and if the charge enclosed is zero, the E field should be zero inside

nabeel17 said:
Right but doesn't Gauss' law say that the flux (EA) = charge enclosed. So say i have a nonuniformly charged shell (maybe not the extreme case but charged more on side then another), the charge enclosed is zero so the electric field is zero? Or am I wrong about that...?
Yes, you are wrong about that. Just because the flux is zero does not mean that the field at any particular point on the surface is zero. The flux is the integral of E*dA over the whole surface; that total will be zero, but the field can certainly be nonzero at various points.

Likes 1 person
nabeel17 said:
Right but doesn't Gauss' law say that the flux (EA) = charge enclosed.
No it doesn't.
I've been caught out like that too ;)

If you have a point charge (never mind the sphere) you know the field is non-zero everywhere right? Yet it is trivial to draw a surface that does not enclose the charge. Does that mean that suddenly the field is zero everywhere? This is a contradiction so something is wrong. Gauss was smart enough to spot something like that so...

Gausses law actually says that the net flux through a Gaussian surface is proportional to the charge enclosed.

If there are no charges enclosed, then all the flux that enters the region must leave it at some point. If flux goes in one side and out the other, the net flux is zero but there is still flux in the enclosed region and, therefore, a non-zero electric field inside.

Likes erisedk and nabeel17

1. What is Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell?

Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell is a mathematical expression that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is based on the concept of electric field lines emanating from positive charges and terminating on negative charges.

2. How is Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell different from Gauss Law for a point charge?

Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell takes into account the distribution of charge on the surface of the shell, while Gauss Law for a point charge assumes all the charge is concentrated at a single point. This makes the calculation of electric flux more complicated for non uniform spherical shells.

3. What is the formula for Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell?

The formula for Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell is ΦE = Qenc/ε0, where ΦE is the electric flux through a closed surface, Qenc is the charge enclosed by that surface, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. Can Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell be used to find the electric field at any point outside the shell?

No, Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell can only be used to find the electric field at points outside the shell if the charge distribution on the surface is symmetric. If the charge distribution is not symmetric, other methods such as integration must be used to find the electric field at a specific point.

5. What are some applications of Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell?

Gauss Law for non uniform spherical shell is commonly used in electrostatics, such as in the design of capacitors and electric fields of charged particles. It is also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric field created by a charged shell in motion.