Gauss's Law: I need to check this answer

In summary, a conducting sphere of radius 10 cm with an unknown charge has an electric field of 3.2 x 10^3 N/C at a distance of 17 cm from the center, directed radially inward. According to Gauss's Law, the net charge on the sphere is approximately -3.6 x 10^-9 C.
DivGradCurl
A conducting sphere of radius [tex]10 \mbox{ cm}[/tex] has an unknown charge. If the electric field [tex]17 \mbox{ cm}[/tex] from the center of the sphere has the magnitude [tex]3.2 \times 10 ^3 \mbox{N/C}[/tex] and is directed radially inward, what is the net charge on the sphere?

Let:

[tex]R = 10 \mbox{ cm}[/tex]

[tex]r = 17 \mbox{ cm}[/tex]

Gauss's Law:

[tex]Q _{\mbox{Enc}} = \epsilon _0 \Phi = \epsilon _0 \oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{A} = -\epsilon _0 EA = -\epsilon _0 E \left( 4 \pi r^2 \right) \approx -3.6 \times 10^{-9} \mbox{ C}[/tex]

Is there anything wrong here? I am not sure.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a calculator handy so I can't comment on your numerical answer, but all your other steps are fine.

Thank you.

I can confirm that your application of Gauss's Law is correct. The equation you have used is the integral form of Gauss's Law, which relates the net charge enclosed within a closed surface to the electric flux through that surface. By setting the electric flux equal to the given electric field multiplied by the surface area of the sphere, you have correctly solved for the net charge on the sphere. Your final answer of -3.6 \times 10^{-9} \mbox{ C} indicates that the sphere has a net negative charge of this magnitude. I do not see any errors in your calculation, but it is always a good practice to double check your work to ensure accuracy. Great job!

Related to Gauss's Law: I need to check this answer

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electric field and the electric charge distribution in a given space.

2. What is the mathematical formula for Gauss's Law?

The mathematical formula for Gauss's Law is ∮E⃗ · dA = Q/ε₀, where ∮E⃗ · dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Q is the total charge enclosed by the surface, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is significant because it allows us to calculate the electric field at a point due to a given charge distribution. It also helps us to understand the behavior of electric fields and their relationship to electric charges.

4. What are the assumptions made in Gauss's Law?

The main assumptions made in Gauss's Law are that the electric field is continuous and can be represented by a vector quantity, the electric charges are stationary, and the system is in a vacuum or a uniform dielectric medium.

5. How is Gauss's Law applied in practical situations?

Gauss's Law can be applied in many practical situations, such as calculating the electric field inside a charged conducting sphere, determining the electric field of a point charge, or calculating the electric field between two parallel plates. It is also used in the design and analysis of various electric devices, such as capacitors and electric motors.