Gauss's law, nucleus, potential proton due to other protons

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge density of a nucleus and the application of Gauss's law. The person speaking is struggling to understand the equation and asks for clarification. They also mention using a different symbol for the permittivity of vacuum to avoid confusion.
binbagsss
I'm a little out of touch with this stuff , but I'm really not getting it..

So my book is considering: in a nucleus of ##z## protons, consider one proton in spherical charge distribution to other protons.

So ## \rho = (z-1)e/(4/3) \pi R^{3}##, where ##R## is the radius of the nucleus, is the charge density. (this is fine)

I have for Gauss's law:

##\int E.d\vec{A} = Q_{enclosed}/\Sigma_{0}##,

So I get ##E.4\pi r^{2}=\rho (4/3) \pi r^{3} / \Sigma_{0}##
##=>## ##E=(z-1)e r/4\pi R^{3}##

Whereas my book has ##q/4 \pi \Sigma_{0} r= (4/3) \pi r^{3} \rho/4 \pi \Sigma_{0}r=(z-1)e/4 \pi \Sigma_{0}(r^{2}/R^{3}##,

I don't understand the far LHS of this? But anyway I'm a factor ##r## out, I have no idea how the book gets ##r^{2}##,

your assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
( I hope it's OK with you if I use ##\varepsilon_o## for the permittivity of the vacuum. With your symbol, I keep wondering what gets summed :wink:)

$${1\over 4 \pi \varepsilon_o}\; {q\over r} $$ looks more like a potential, not an electric field strength. That would explain the factor r.

1. What is Gauss's law?

Gauss's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is based on the concept that electric charges create an electric field, and the electric flux through a surface is proportional to the amount of charge enclosed by that surface.

2. What is the nucleus?

The nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains most of its mass. It is made up of protons and neutrons, which are held together by the strong nuclear force. The nucleus is positively charged due to the presence of protons, and it determines the chemical properties of an element.

3. What is potential?

Potential, also known as electric potential, is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field.

4. How is the potential of a proton affected by other protons?

The potential of a proton is affected by other protons through the repulsive force between them. As protons are positively charged, they repel each other and create an electric field. This electric field can affect the potential of a proton, causing it to move or be affected by other forces.

5. How is Gauss's law related to the potential of a proton due to other protons?

Gauss's law is directly related to the potential of a proton due to other protons, as it describes the relationship between electric flux and charge. The electric flux through a surface surrounding a proton is proportional to the amount of charge enclosed by that surface, which in turn affects the potential of the proton. Therefore, Gauss's law can be used to calculate the potential of a proton due to other protons in a given electric field.