Geant4 Beginner -- looking for advice

In summary, someone is looking for help with Geant4 and asks if anyone has experience with it. Another person suggests looking at past tutorials and using example codes to modify for their needs instead of starting from scratch. The original person thanks them for the advice and mentions they are still working on it and welcomes more help, specifically with hadronic examples.
parazit
Hi all.

I'm a fresh starter on Geant4 and looking for anybody who is also familiar with it.

Does anybody have experience with Geant4 ?

I'd have a look at some of the past tutorials posted here: http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/geant4/PastEvents.asp

There are some hands-on examples which you can work through on your own. Then I'd suggest looking through the example codes that come with Geant4 if there is one that closely matches your needs. Then you can modify it to what you really want. I'd recommend this approach instead of trying to build your program completely from scratch.

rare earth said:
I'd have a look at some of the past tutorials posted here: http://www-public.slac.stanford.edu/geant4/PastEvents.asp

There are some hands-on examples which you can work through on your own. Then I'd suggest looking through the example codes that come with Geant4 if there is one that closely matches your needs. Then you can modify it to what you really want. I'd recommend this approach instead of trying to build your program completely from scratch.
Thank you so much for your reply. It has been some time from the post and I had no choice but trying to figure it out myself. Then I did the exactly what you said. I still have some question marks but also still working on it.

Any more comment and helps are welcome, especially about hadronic examples ;)

Related to Geant4 Beginner -- looking for advice

1. What is Geant4 and how is it used in scientific research?

Geant4 is a software toolkit for the simulation of the passage of particles through matter. It is used in various fields of scientific research, such as high energy physics, medical physics, and space science, to study the behavior of particles in different materials and environments. Geant4 allows researchers to simulate experiments and predict results without the need for costly and time-consuming physical experiments.

2. How can I get started with Geant4 as a beginner?

To get started with Geant4, it is recommended to first read the user's guide and tutorials provided on the official Geant4 website. Then, try out some of the examples provided in the toolkit and experiment with different configurations and settings. It is also helpful to join online forums and communities to ask for advice and learn from experienced users.

3. What level of programming knowledge is required to use Geant4?

Geant4 is a complex and advanced toolkit that requires a good understanding of C++ programming. As a beginner, it is recommended to have a basic knowledge of C++ and object-oriented programming concepts. However, there are also simplified interfaces available for users with little or no programming experience.

4. Are there any limitations to using Geant4?

While Geant4 is a powerful and widely used simulation toolkit, it does have some limitations. These include the time and computational resources required to run simulations, as well as the accuracy of the results compared to physical experiments. It is important to carefully validate and verify simulations with experimental data to ensure reliable results.

5. Can Geant4 be used for commercial purposes?

Geant4 is open-source software and can be used for commercial purposes. However, it is important to carefully read and follow the licensing terms and conditions provided by the Geant4 collaboration. Some features may not be available for commercial use or may require additional licensing fees.