General Covariance in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, according to the lecture I just watched, all physical laws have to be Lorentz invariant. General covariance (which is more general than Lorentz invariance) is not a requirement for all laws of physics, although it is a desirable property. There are some quantum gravity theories that take the approach of adding general covariance to quantum field theory, but I am not familiar enough with this topic to recommend any specific sources.
Newton-reborn
TL;DR Summary
If Lorentz invariance is a special case of general covariance, why are all laws of physics required to have Lorentz invariance instead of general covariance which is more general?
All physical laws have to be Lorentz invariant according to a lecture I just watched. Why is general covariance (which is more general than Lorentz invariance) not a requirement for all laws of physics? Are there any quantum gravity theories that take the approach of adding general covariance to quantum field theory? Please recommend sources if there are any.

Physics news on Phys.org
This you'd only need if you'd do QFT in a general curved spacetime, which I think doesn't exist because it's awfully complicated. Of course such a thing exists for some not too complicated spacetimes. AFAIK, a standard reference for this very challenging topic is

https://doi.org/10.1016/0370-1573(75)90051-4

There's a classical notion of general covariance in general relativity (non-quantized yet for the reasons mentioned in the previous post).

vanhees71 said:
AFAIK, a standard reference for this very challenging topic

Wald's monograph, Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics, is more recent (1993) and AFAIK gives more detailed coverage. I suspect there are good references that are even more recent as well; there has been quite a bit of important theoretical development on this topic in the last couple of decades.

Likes vanhees71
Newton-reborn said:
All physical laws have to be Lorentz invariant according to a lecture I just watched.

More precisely, all physical laws have to be locally Lorentz invariant. In a curved spacetime, there is no such thing as global Lorentz invariance since there are no such things as global Lorentz transformations.

Newton-reborn said:
Why is general covariance (which is more general than Lorentz invariance) not a requirement for all laws of physics?

As far as global coordinate charts and transformations are concerned, it is.

Likes vanhees71
Newton-reborn said:
a lecture I just watched.

Please give a reference.

PeterDonis said:
Wald's monograph, Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics, is more recent (1993) and AFAIK gives more detailed coverage. I suspect there are good references that are even more recent as well; there has been quite a bit of important theoretical development on this topic in the last couple of decades.
That's why I wrote "AFAIK". I'm not an expert in this field. I looked at it some years ago, and found it too complicated given the little direct application, though it's of course utmost interesting from a fundamental point of view.

Tendex said:
There's a classical notion of general covariance in general relativity (non-quantized yet for the reasons mentioned in the previous post).
Sure, but the question was about QFT.

I think to really understand the meaning of "general covariance" in classical GR, one should think about it as a gauge theory, where "gauging" is meant in the sense HEP theorists use this notion, making the Lorentz invariance local. A very good treatment from this point of view is in

P. Ramond, Quantum Field Theory, 2nd Ed.

vanhees71 said:
Sure, but the question was about QFT.

I think to really understand the meaning of "general covariance" in classical GR, one should think about it as a gauge theory, where "gauging" is meant in the sense HEP theorists use this notion, making the Lorentz invariance local. A very good treatment from this point of view is in

P. Ramond, Quantum Field Theory, 2nd Ed.
Yes, that's how I understand general covariance too, I was thinking about the local LI of QFT in analogy with the local LI of GR as a gauge theory. Unfortunately all efforts to quantize GR are fruitless so far.

Likes vanhees71
There is a general argument that general covariance restricts Green's functions depending on observables to be constant, making it hard to define local operators in general covariant QFT's. See e.g. Zee's GR book, appendix 6 of chapter X.8.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
More precisely, all physical laws have to be locally Lorentz invariant. In a curved spacetime, there is no such thing as global Lorentz invariance since there are no such things as global Lorentz transformations.
Indeed, general relativity in the tetrad formalism (essential for spinor fields) requires both local Lorentz covariance and covariance under general coordinate transformations.
PeterDonis said:
A survey article by Hollands and Wald from 2015 brings this up to date. But here the spacetime manifold is fixed, not dynamical. The unsolved problems in quantum gravity are about a dynamical formulation.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
A. Neumaier said:
The unsolved problems in quantum gravity are about a dynamical formulation.
A two volume treatise
discusses the canonical approach to dynamical quantum gravity in some depth, based on Schwinger's quantum variational principle. Very worthwhile reading. See also this new thread.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is general covariance in quantum field theory?

General covariance in quantum field theory is a fundamental principle that states that the laws of physics should be independent of the choice of coordinates used to describe them. This means that the equations and predictions of a theory should remain the same regardless of the coordinate system used, as long as the physical quantities being described are the same.

2. Why is general covariance important in quantum field theory?

General covariance is important in quantum field theory because it ensures that the theory is consistent and does not depend on any arbitrary choices made by the observer. It also allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of physical laws, as they can be expressed in a coordinate-independent manner.

3. How does general covariance differ from gauge invariance?

General covariance and gauge invariance are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. While general covariance refers to the invariance of physical laws under changes in coordinates, gauge invariance specifically refers to the invariance under certain transformations of the fields in the theory.

4. Can general covariance be violated in quantum field theory?

No, general covariance is a fundamental principle that is expected to hold in all physical theories. Any violation of general covariance would indicate a flaw in the theory or the underlying assumptions. However, there are certain situations, such as in the presence of gravitational fields, where the concept of general covariance may need to be modified.

5. How does general covariance relate to the theory of relativity?

General covariance is a key principle in the theory of relativity, as it is a fundamental aspect of the theory that allows for the formulation of the laws of physics in a coordinate-independent manner. In fact, the principle of general covariance was first introduced by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.