Covariance of equal time commutation relations

In summary, the commutator between the field and the conjugate momentum is invariant, but the equal time commutation rules which lead to second quantization are not.
Betty
I have a question regarding the covariance of the equal time commutation relations in relativistic quantum field theory. In the case of a scalar field one has that the commutator is (see Peskin, pag. 28 eq. (2.53) )
$ [\phi(0), \phi(y)] = D(-y) - D(y) $
is an invariant function, which is zero outside the light cone.

The commutator between the field and the conjugate momentum is

$[\phi(0), \pi(y)] = [\phi(0), \dot \phi(y)] = \partial_{y^0} [\phi(0), \phi(y)] , $

which also implies that $ [\phi(0), \pi(y)] = 0 $ outside the light cone. The equal time commutation rules which lead to second quantization read

$[\phi(0), \pi(y)] = \partial_{y^0} [\phi(0), \phi(y)] = i \delta^3(\vec{y})$ for $ y^0 = 0 $.

However this point seems to me a little bit odd, since this relation, being expressed as the derivative of an invariant quantity, is not invariant. This is also confirmed by the fact that the $\delta^3$ is also not invariant. Therefore, I wonder how we get a covariant theory starting from second quantization rules which are not invariant, or why this fact does not lead to any contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to fix your latex. Use two hashes or two dollar signs.

Likes Demystifier
Thank you for your comments. I had a look to Eq. (13) in http://de.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0202204 and this (the result of (13) shouldn't be $$ i \chi(x)/\sqrt(g_{00})$$ ?) just confirms that the formulation of the equal time commutation relations depends on the choice of $$ \Sigma $$. Even if one expresses the relation in an invariant form as $$n^\mu \partial_\mu [\phi(0),\phi(x)] = i \frac{\delta(x)}{\sqrt{g_{00} g^3}}$$ the quantity on the r.h.s. is not an invariant unless $$ g_{0i}=0$$.

There is some other reference where this topic is treated more in detail?

What is the covariance of equal time commutation relations?

The covariance of equal time commutation relations refers to the relationship between two observables in quantum mechanics at a specific point in time. It measures how the values of the two observables change together, and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

How is the covariance of equal time commutation relations calculated?

The covariance of equal time commutation relations is calculated using the commutator, which is a mathematical operation that determines how two operators behave when applied to the same state in a specific order. The commutator is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the operators in the reverse order.

What is the significance of the covariance of equal time commutation relations?

The covariance of equal time commutation relations is significant because it is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at a specific point in time. It is also used in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle to determine the uncertainty in measuring two observables simultaneously.

What are the implications of non-commutativity in the covariance of equal time commutation relations?

Non-commutativity in the covariance of equal time commutation relations means that the observables do not commute, or do not behave in a consistent way when applied in different orders. This has important implications for the measurement of observables and the uncertainty principle, as it means that certain properties of a system cannot be known simultaneously with precision.

How does the covariance of equal time commutation relations relate to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

The covariance of equal time commutation relations is closely related to other fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the commutator. It also has implications for the measurement and behavior of observables, as well as the overall understanding of the quantum world.