General Physics (I) Kinetic energy and momentum

In summary: Keep in mind that it's always important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it. Good luck!In summary, Betty Bodycheck (mB = 51.1 kg, vB = 22.0 km/h in the positive x-direction) and Sally Slasher (mS = 40.5 kg, vS = 28.0 km/h in the positive y-direction) collide while racing to get to a hockey puck. After the collision, Betty is heading 76.0° counterclockwise from her original direction, and Sally is heading back and to her right in a direction that is 12.0° from the x-axis. The final kinetic energies of Betty and Sally after the collision
newjourney
Betty Bodycheck (mB = 51.1 kg, vB = 22.0 km/h in the positive x-direction) and Sally Slasher (mS = 40.5 kg, vS = 28.0 km/h in the positive y-direction) are both racing to get to a hockey puck. Immediately after the collision, Betty is heading in a direction that is 76.0° counterclockwise from her original direction, and Sally is heading back and to her right in a direction that is 12.0° from the x-axis. What are Betty and Sally's final kinetic energies?

http://www.webassign.net/bauerphys1/7-p-055.gif

Kinetic Energy: K=(1/2)mv^2 ... Momentum: p=mvWhen I attempted this problem I first converted both velocity from km/h to m/s. Next I proceeded to calculate Betty's and Sally's KE: [Betty] (1/2)x51.1x(6.11278)^2= 954 J...[Sally] (1/2)x40.5x(7.7779)^2=1225 J.

Both answers were wrong, a few step(s) or missing equations are missing I believe but I do not know what. Can anyone please help?

Thank You.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question asks for the KE AFTER the collision. Kinetic energy is not necessarily conserved in a collision.

I don't quite understand just what you mean. I'm still quite lost on where to start, if you had anymore advice or tips I would greatly appreciate it.

When objects collide and the collision is not completely elastic, kinetic energy is not conserved. Therefore the initial KE's do not equal the final KE's. However, momentum is conserved. Big hint: Write equations that relate initial momentum in the X and Y directions before and after the collision of Betty and Sally. This will enable you to solve for the velocities which then can be used to determine the kinetic energy after the collision.

I agree with LawrenceC. This problem is a typical conservation of momentum question. Use conservation of momentum in x directions and y directions to solve.

Okay, I believe I understand more now. Thanks for the explanation

No problem.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

3. How does kinetic energy affect an object's momentum?

Kinetic energy and momentum are directly proportional. As an object's kinetic energy increases, its momentum also increases. This is because momentum is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, both of which are factors in the calculation of kinetic energy.

4. Can an object have kinetic energy without being in motion?

No, kinetic energy is the energy of motion. If an object is not in motion, it does not possess kinetic energy. However, it may have potential energy depending on its position or state.

5. How is kinetic energy related to work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one system to another. When a force acts on an object and causes it to move, work is being done and the object gains kinetic energy. Therefore, kinetic energy is directly related to the work done on an object.