General Physics Question(s): attatched blocks with strings

In summary, you can calculate the acceleration of a mass by adding the masses together, or you can calculate the tension by considering each mass separately and applying Newton's 2nd law.
Blobikins

Homework Statement

This is just a general question; but if there are two blocks attached with a string, how do you calculate acceleration and tension? Like, do you add the masses together and work with it, or do you do each separately?

Also; if you have one block on an incline, and another hanging over a ledge, how do you calculate acceleration there? Do you add the masses?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fnet

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes you can add the masses, if you know what you're doing. But I recommend against that.

You can almost always solve these sort of problems by considering each mass separately and applying Newton's 2nd law to each. (You'll also need the constraint equations, which reflect the fact that the masses are connected by a string and thus their accelerations are related.) That's what I would recommend.

Doc Al said:
Sometimes you can add the masses, if you know what you're doing. But I recommend against that.

You can almost always solve these sort of problems by considering each mass separately and applying Newton's 2nd law to each. (You'll also need the constraint equations, which reflect the fact that the masses are connected by a string and thus their accelerations are related.) That's what I would recommend.
For the two blocks connected merely on a string on a flat plane, I've figured out how to do acceleration (masses all added up), but can you just calculate tension by isolating a single one of the bricks, and using the f = ma to find Ft?

Also, for the One mass hanging off an incline, I know you calculate fg for the hanging one, but what in the block on the incline do you need to calculate to work out the rest?Sorry!

Blobikins said:
For the two blocks connected merely on a string on a flat plane, I've figured out how to do acceleration (masses all added up), but can you just calculate tension by isolating a single one of the bricks, and using the f = ma to find Ft?
Absolutely.

Blobikins said:
Also, for the One mass hanging off an incline, I know you calculate fg for the hanging one, but what in the block on the incline do you need to calculate to work out the rest?
You need to calculate the component of its weight parallel to the incline.

What exactly do you mean by component of weight?

Like, fgcostheta?

Blobikins said:
What exactly do you mean by component of weight?

Like, fgcostheta?
Almost. For a mass on an incline of angle θ, its weight will have components mg sinθ parallel to the incline and mg cosθ perpendicular to the incline.

So, to calculate the acceleration of the mass hanging for force I use ma = fg(hanging) - fgsintheta, with the m for fnet being the total mass?

Blobikins said:
So, to calculate the acceleration of the mass hanging for force I use ma = fg(hanging) - fgsintheta, with the m for fnet being the total mass?
That will work. But I recommend that you apply Newton's 2nd law separately to each mass.

I know this must be getting annoying, I'm sorry, but why? What difference does it make?

(I'm not intending to be cocky, or snarky, I'm genuinely wondering.)

Blobikins said:
I know this must be getting annoying, I'm sorry, but why? What difference does it make?
Analyzing each mass separately allows you to solve for everything (tensions as well as acceleration) and will enable you to solve more complicated problems (multiple blocks interconnected, pulleys, friction -- all sorts of things).

For the simple cases you have mentioned, doing it your way is just fine. :smile: (But be sure you can do it my way as well.)

Likes Blobikins
Thank you very much. I'm able to do any questions with ramps, and static friction in equilibrium, just combined masses were confusing me. Thank you.

Related to General Physics Question(s): attatched blocks with strings

What is the purpose of attaching blocks with strings in physics experiments?

Attaching blocks with strings is a common technique used in physics experiments to study the relationship between forces and motion. By varying the length and tension of the string, scientists can measure the effects of different forces on the motion of the blocks.

How does the angle of the string affect the movement of the blocks?

The angle of the string is an important factor in determining the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the blocks. As the angle increases, the horizontal component of the force decreases, leading to a change in the direction of motion.

What is the difference between a fixed and a free string in physics experiments?

A fixed string is one that is attached to an immovable object, while a free string is not attached to anything. In physics experiments, a fixed string is used to study the effects of tension on an object, while a free string is used to study the effects of gravity on an object.

How do scientists calculate the tension in a string in physics experiments?

The tension in a string can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. This formula takes into account both the weight of the object and any additional forces acting on it.

What are some examples of real-life applications of the concept of attached blocks with strings in physics?

The concept of attached blocks with strings is used in various real-life applications, such as elevator systems, cranes, and pulley systems. It is also used in sports, such as rock climbing, where the tension in the ropes is crucial for the safety and success of the climber.