General Relativity geodesics, killing vector, conserved quantities

In summary, your attempt at the question shows a good understanding of the concepts involved, but it could be improved by providing more clarity and detail.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

grquestion.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Let ##k^u## denote the KVF.

We have that along a geodesic ##K=k^uV_u## is constant , where ##V^u ## is the tangent vector to some affinely parameterised geodesic.

##k^u=\delta^u_i## , ##V^u=(\dot{t},\vec{\dot{x}})## so we get

##K= g_{ii}\dot{x^i}=t^{p_i}\dot{x^i}=K## (1) is conserved.

where dot denotes a derivative with respect to some affine parameter ##s##

ATTEMPT AT QUESTION:

I think this is a bad attempt but...

The curves of constant ##x^i## are given by: ##\dot{x^i}=0## , so above if ##K=0## equation (1) is trivially satisfied.

Any help appreciated, thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt is a good start, but there are a few things that could be improved.

Firstly, when you say "Let ##k^u## denote the KVF," it's not clear what you mean by "KVF." Are you referring to the Killing vector field? If so, it's important to define what that is and how it relates to the geodesic equation.

Secondly, when you say "We have that along a geodesic ##K=k^uV_u## is constant," it's not clear what you mean by "along a geodesic." Do you mean that ##K## is constant along the entire geodesic, or just at a particular point on the geodesic? It's important to clarify this.

Thirdly, in your equation (1), it's not clear what you mean by ##t^{p_i}##. Is this a typo? Do you mean ##g^{p_i}##? Also, it's not clear what you mean by "conserved." Do you mean that ##K## is constant along the geodesic? If so, it's important to state that explicitly.

Finally, in your attempt at the question, you say that the curves of constant ##x^i## are given by ##\dot{x^i}=0##. This is not quite correct. The curves of constant ##x^i## are given by ##x^i = const.##, not ##\dot{x^i}=0##. However, it is true that if ##K=0##, then ##\dot{x^i}=0##, since ##K## is the dot product of the Killing vector field and the tangent vector to the geodesic, and if ##K=0##, then the tangent vector must be perpendicular to the Killing vector field.

So, to summarize, your attempt is a good start, but it could be improved by clarifying some of the points mentioned above. Also, it's important to make sure that you understand the definitions and concepts involved, and to state them explicitly in your solution.

1. What is the concept of geodesics in General Relativity?

Geodesics refer to the straightest and shortest possible paths in curved spacetime, as described by the theory of General Relativity. In this theory, massive objects follow geodesics, which are determined by the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy.

2. How do Killing vectors relate to symmetries in General Relativity?

Killing vectors are mathematical objects that represent the symmetries of a particular spacetime. In General Relativity, these vectors play a crucial role in determining conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum, along geodesic paths.

3. What are the conserved quantities in General Relativity?

In General Relativity, there are four conserved quantities: energy, momentum, angular momentum, and electric charge. These quantities are conserved along geodesic paths due to the symmetries of spacetime, as represented by Killing vectors.

4. How does General Relativity explain the phenomenon of gravitational lensing?

According to General Relativity, mass and energy cause a curvature in spacetime, which affects the path of light. As light travels through this curved spacetime, it appears to bend, creating the phenomenon of gravitational lensing.

5. Can General Relativity explain the expansion of the universe?

General Relativity provides the framework for understanding the expansion of the universe. The theory predicts that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, which is attributed to the presence of dark energy. This prediction has been confirmed by various observations, including the cosmic microwave background radiation.