Non-radial null geodesics in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates

In summary, the goal is to plot null geodesics around a black hole using Mathematica. The attempt involves using normal Schwarzschild coordinates and Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates, but both methods result in the same geodesic equation with a singular term at r=2GM. The suggestion is to try Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates to eliminate the coordinate singularity.
Poirot

Homework Statement

My end goal is to plot null geodesics around a black hole with realistic representations within the horizon (r<2GM, with c=1) using Mathematica. I've done this for outside the horizon using normal Schwarzschild coordinates and gained equation (1) below, and then used this with equation (3) and converted to u=1/r to find equation (4) in which I can plot u as a function of Φ. I then used NDSolve to solve this with varying impact parameters (D) but I know once it crosses the horizon I cannot justify the plot as being meaningful. I'm therefore converting to Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates using equation (5) to go from t -> v so the geodesic can cross the horizon fine. This gained the new metric equation (6). I can't find any help on how to do this properly for any geodesics that aren't radial so I've tried doing it myself a few different ways but all along the same logic as I did before. Every way I've tried it I get the same equation as (1) but with a different constant (Which I set as I plot so is meaningless to changing how the geodesic behaves at the horizon).

Homework Equations

\begin{array}
.Basic \ Schwarzschild \ metric \ in \ Lagrange \ form: \\
L = -\dot{t}^2 + \dot{r}^2 + r^2(\dot{\theta}^2+Sin^2{\theta}\dot{\phi}^2)\\
Relavent \ Equations:\\
\dot{r}^2 = E^2 - \frac{l^2}{r^2}(1-\frac{2GM}{r}) \ (1)\\
where,\ E = \dot{t}(1-\frac{2GM}{r}) \ (2)\\ and\ l = \dot{\phi}r^2 \ (3)\\
(\frac{du}{d\phi})^2 = 2Mu^3 - u^2 + 1/D^2\ (4)\\
where, \ D=\frac{l}{E} \\
t = v -r -2GMln|\frac{r}{2GM}-1| \ (5)\\
L = -(1-\frac{2GM}{r})\dot{v}^2 + 2\dot{v}\dot{r} + r^2\dot{\phi}^2\ (6) \\
Note:\ \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} \ so \ \dot{\theta}=0 \ and \ Sin^2{\theta}=1
\end{array}

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted method 1:
I tried subbing back in for v and v(dot) so I could use equation (2) so I can use the same conserved quantities but everything just cancels back down to equation (1) like I had before.
Attempted method 2:
Finding a conserved quantity for v(dot) and calling the relevant constant say E' which once running all the maths through gains the same equation as (1) but with E' where E would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted method 1:
I tried subbing back in for v and v(dot) so I could use equation (2) so I can use the same conserved quantities but everything just cancels back down to equation (1) like I had before.
Attempted method 2:
Finding a conserved quantity for v(dot) and calling the relevant constant say E' which once running all the maths through gains the same equation as (1) but with E' where E would be.

Using Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates, you still have a coordinate singularity at ##r = 2GM##. Using the Killing vectors for ##\nu## and ##\phi## and the condition ##\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{u} = 0## you should get the same geodesic equation for light rays as in normal Schwarzschild coordinates:

##E^2 = (\frac{dr}{d\lambda})^2 + \frac{L^2}{r^2}(1 - \frac{2GM}{r})##

You could use the relationship for ##E## to transform this into an equation for ##\frac{d\nu}{d\lambda}##, but you still have the singular term in the potential. So, in terms of general light geodescics, you may be no further forward.

To get rid of the remaining coordinate singularity, you could try Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates. Although, I'm not familiar with those myself.

1. What are Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates?

Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates are a set of coordinates used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime around a massive object, such as a black hole. They are named after British physicist Arthur Eddington and German physicist Erwin Finkelstein, who independently developed them in the early 20th century.

2. What are non-radial null geodesics?

Non-radial null geodesics are the paths that light rays follow in curved spacetime. They are called "null" because they have zero length, and "non-radial" because they do not follow a straight line in the radial direction. These geodesics are important in understanding the behavior of light around massive objects, such as black holes.

3. How are Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates used to describe non-radial null geodesics?

Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates are particularly useful for describing non-radial null geodesics because they are adapted to the behavior of light rays in curved spacetime. In these coordinates, the light rays follow straight lines, which makes it easier to visualize and calculate their paths.

4. What is the significance of studying non-radial null geodesics in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates?

Studying non-radial null geodesics in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates allows us to better understand the behavior of light in the extreme conditions of curved spacetime, such as near a black hole. This can provide insights into the nature of gravity and the structure of the universe.

5. Are there any applications of studying non-radial null geodesics in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates?

Yes, there are many applications of studying non-radial null geodesics in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates. For example, this knowledge can be applied to the design and operation of space telescopes, which rely on precise understanding of how light behaves in curved spacetime. It can also be applied to the development of new technologies and materials, as our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe continues to advance.