General World Cup and in-game discussion

In summary: Chile.Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, the only time they qualified.Scotland have qualified 8 times since 1954, but never got past the first round.Northern Ireland have qualified 3 times, and also reached the quarter finals in 1958. (They also held the record of the least populous country to qualify, until Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006).
We need a general thread to talk about all the matches. So here it is! Let's keep the discussion rolling during the matches too for those who are watching.

If you are interested in joining the PF World Cup Futbol League go here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=756611

First match is Brazil vs Croatia!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brazil 1-1 Croatia at half

Brazil playing lazy in the beginning. I think they will turn it on for the win!

The penalty decision against Croatia was so wrong. Brazil does not deserve the second goal.

Yeah pretty bad dive. The game overall was quite entertaining. Brazil in the end deserved the win. Looking forward to a some good games tomorrow!

Croatia deserved a draw based on the pressure they laid on the Brazilian defense. Unfortunately they got another goal instead.
The keeper could've stopped the first and last goal I believe. A small step to the left/right before the dive would've done it both times.

But hey, congrats to Croatia for the mentality.

Terrible ref: that was never a penalty, and there was a foul in the run up to the third goal. Keeper should have saved the pen though. All in all, a shaky start from the hosts, though I expect them to get better.

First half of the Mex vs Cam game has been good. Mex called offside on two goals. Lots of rain.

Most of the Netherlands is colored orange, we're ready! :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
First half of the Mex vs Cam game has been good. Mex called offside on two goals.
Mexico deserved that win. It should have been 3-0 rather than 1-0. Both of those goals in the first half should have counted.

Lots of rain.
Lots of rain. Poor cameramen. The areas behind the field in which they were located were lakes.

Siting games in Natal was perhaps a mistake?

probability_of_precipitation_at_some_point_in_the_day_percent_pct.png

Source: http://weatherspark.com/averages/33461/Natal-Rio-Grande-do-Norte-Brazil

Belo Horizonte, OTOH, looks like a nice site for this time of year.

wtf penalty?

That was my thought in live play. In the replay it did look like De Vrij took Costa's feet out from under him.

Are you happier now, Monique?

goosebumps, beautiful goal!l

Prettiest goal so far. Even prettier than Brazil's first goal. Unlike that nice looking goal by Brazil, van Persie's directed the ball into the opponent's net.

D H said:
Siting games in Natal was perhaps a mistake?

Source: http://weatherspark.com/averages/33461/Natal-Rio-Grande-do-Norte-Brazil

Belo Horizonte, OTOH, looks like a nice site for this time of year.

I don't believe their data, based on what they say about where I live. The "snow" and "thunderstorms" data is nonsense. The rain data doesn't make much sense either.

The obvious unanswered question is what land area this is averaged over. Thunderstorms "somewhere in the UK" on 11% of days in July might be correct. Thunderstorms over one particular city is not.

D H said:
That was my thought in live play. In the replay it did look like De Vrij took Costa's feet out from under him.
You must've seen a different replay, there was no faulplay. Costa searched for contact, it should be 0-1 :grumpy:

whohooo! who's the champion NOW? :D

Holy **** - what a performance from holland!

Monique said:
whohooo! who's the champion NOW? :D
Who knows? The Socceroos? That's an outcome I would have expected against Australia, not against Spain.

Why did the Spaniards left their defense at home?

:biggrin: *party*

That was totally unbelievable!

That...just...what just happened...

Greg Bernhardt said:
What is the atmosphere like in Holland?
Exhilarating! It was going to be a difficult game and expectations were low. The plan was to play defensive, unlike the normal offensive game play for Holland and it panned out. For this game over 15000 people gathered on the museumsquare (picture not mine), so you can imagine the atmosphere:

http://www.at5.nl/imgcache/8/8ea160eed44bdddee78e9e98fff9598c.jpg

This is a great victory but it doesn't mean we'll win the next games, so we're looking forward to the next matches.

5PA1N:

BqCW0icCYAAbKea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So which of Spain or Chile is the one not to advance?

why is their a team for England, and not labeled at UK?

Maylis said:
why is their a team for England, and not labeled at UK?

Because that's what it is.

Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, the only time they qualified.
Scotland have qualified 8 times since 1954, but never got past the first round.
Northern Ireland have qualified 3 times, and also reached the quarter finals in 1958. (They also held the record of the least populous country to qualify, until Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006).

In 1958 all four "UK" teams qualified. Scotland and England were knocked out in the group stage. In the quarter-finals, Wales lost 1-0 to Brazil, and NI lost 4-0 to France.

Last edited:
The world cup of plot twists, this should prove fun.

Costa Rica managed to beat Uruguay! None of us who guessed in the PF World Cup thread predicted this, that's fun! :tongue2:

I really should have gone for Italy when I read how England was training for the game in Manaus. They were setting themselves up for a loss. That English training technique is the same technique many MLS teams use to train themselves into losing when they come to Houston.

You have to love but respect the heat to deal with it properly. A coworker comes to mind. For a while he telecommuted from San Antonio with occasional trips to Houston to put in a physical presence. He confided to me "You mind find this weird, but I love the heat. On my drive home, I turn off the air conditioner and open the windows. I like the feel of sweat running down my back." Note: The *average* high in August is 34.7 C (94.5 F) in Houston, 35.6 (96 F) in San Antonio.

And yes, we do play soccer (football) outdoors in that heat. Opposing teams hate coming to Houston from mid May to mid October. They treat the heat as a brutal enemy, and they lose. The teams that will do well in Manaus won't view the heat as an enemy. They will view it is something to be respected. I mowed my lawn between games today. I went through three T-shirts and lots of water. But there is something to be said for the feel of sweat running down your back.

Last edited:
The first few days of WC have been a blast. Really good games and some nice upsets.

Still no draws! A great start to the world cup

Yep, Switzerland was cutting it close. Although there was another error regarding an offside goal.

It really is becoming a trend to disallow goals for standing offside.