Generalised Quaternion Algebra over K - Dauns Section 1-5 no 18

In summary, the exercise asks to prove that the subring K[I] has an automorphism of order 2 and that this automorphism extends to an inner automorphism of order 2 for all of K[I,J]. To show this, we can define the automorphism as sending every element of K[I] to its "I-conjugate" and show that it satisfies the necessary conditions. Then, we can use this to show that for any r,s in K[I], (r + sJ)* = r* + s*J.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In Dauns book "Modules and Rings", Exercise 18 in Section 1-5 reads as follows: (see attachment)

Let K be any ring with [FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]∈[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]K[/FONT] whose center is a field and \(\displaystyle 0 \ne x, 0 \ne y \in \) center K are any elements.

Let I, J, and IJ be symbols not in K.

Form the set K[I, J] = K + KI + KJ + KIJ of all K linear combinations of {1, I, J, IJ}.

Prove that the subring K = K + KI has an automorphism of order 2 defined by \(\displaystyle a = a_1 + a_2I \rightarrow \overline{a} = a_1 - a_2I \) for \(\displaystyle a_1, a_2 \in K \) which extends to an inner automorphism of order two of all of K[I,J], where \(\displaystyle q \rightarrow \overline{q} = J_{-1}qJ = (1/y)JqJ \) for \(\displaystyle q = a + bJ, a, b \in K \). Show that \(\displaystyle \overline{q} = \overline{a} + \overline{b}J \).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I can show that K = K + KI is an automorphism, but I am unsure of the meaning of an automorphism having order two - let alone proving it! So I would appreciate some help on showing that the automorphism has order two.

I cannot however show that it 'extends' to the inner automorphism of order two that is then defined.

I would appreciate help with these parts of the exercise.

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
In Dauns book "Modules and Rings", Exercise 18 in Section 1-5 reads as follows: (see attachment)

Let K be any ring with [FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]∈[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math]K[/FONT] whose center is a field and \(\displaystyle 0 \ne x, 0 \ne y \in \) center K are any elements.

Let I, J, and IJ be symbols not in K.

Form the set K[I, J] = K + KI + KJ + KIJ of all K linear combinations of {1, I, J, IJ}.

Prove that the subring K = K + KI has an automorphism of order 2 defined by \(\displaystyle a = a_1 + a_2I \rightarrow \overline{a} = a_1 - a_2I \) for \(\displaystyle a_1, a_2 \in K \) which extends to an inner automorphism of order two of all of K[I,J], where \(\displaystyle q \rightarrow \overline{q} = J_{-1}qJ = (1/y)JqJ \) for \(\displaystyle q = a + bJ, a, b \in K \). Show that \(\displaystyle \overline{q} = \overline{a} + \overline{b}J \).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I can show that K = K + KI is an automorphism, but I am unsure of the meaning of an automorphism having order two - let alone proving it! So I would appreciate some help on showing that the automorphism has order two.

I cannot however show that it 'extends' to the inner automorphism of order two that is then defined.

I would appreciate help with these parts of the exercise.

Peter

OK I have just been checking the order of an automorphism and it is actually quite straightforward - definition is as follows:

If the automorphism is \(\displaystyle f: a \rightarrow \overline{a} \) as in the exercise that we are focused on, then the order is the smallest \(\displaystyle n \ge 1 \) such that \(\displaystyle f^n = E \) where E is the identity function.

OK so in the exercise we have that \(\displaystyle f: a \rightarrow \overline{a} \) is obviously of order 2.

However I am still unable to show that K = K + KI 'extends' (?) to the inner automorphism specified.

Peter

Last edited:
if we send every element of K to it's "I-conjugate":

a+bI --> a-bI

then wouldn't it make sense to also send:

(a+bI) + (c+dI)J --> (a-bI) + (c-dI)J?

all you're being asked to show is three things:

1) q-->q* is an automorphism (check that it's bijective, and is a ring-homomorphism).

2)(q*)* = q (and there exists some q for which q* is not q).

3) if q = a + bI + 0J + 0IJ, then q* = a - bI + 0J + 0IJ (so that q-->q* extends the automorphism of K).

Having shown this, verify by direct computation that for r,s in K:

(r + sJ)* = r* + s*J (use the automorphism property you proved above!).

(hint: what is J*, directly from the definition...isn't it (1/y)J3 = (1/y)(J2​)(J)?).

1. What is a generalised quaternion algebra?

A generalised quaternion algebra is an algebraic structure that extends the concept of a traditional quaternion algebra. It is a non-commutative division algebra over a field K, meaning that it has operations of addition, multiplication, and division defined on its elements.

2. What is the significance of the Dauns Section 1-5 no 18 in this algebra?

The Dauns Section 1-5 no 18 is a specific case in the generalised quaternion algebra that is frequently studied and used in research. It has important properties and can be used to represent various mathematical objects, such as matrices and polynomials.

3. How does the generalised quaternion algebra differ from the traditional quaternion algebra?

The traditional quaternion algebra is defined over the field of real numbers, while the generalised quaternion algebra can be defined over any field K. Additionally, the traditional quaternion algebra has three imaginary units, while the generalised quaternion algebra can have any number of imaginary units, depending on the field K.

4. What are the applications of the generalised quaternion algebra?

The generalised quaternion algebra has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in representation theory, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics, among other fields. It also has connections to other algebraic structures, such as Lie algebras and Clifford algebras.

5. Are there any open questions or conjectures related to the generalised quaternion algebra?

Yes, there are several open questions and conjectures related to the generalised quaternion algebra. Some of these include the classification of all possible generalised quaternion algebras over a given field K, and the existence of division algebras with more than two imaginary units. These questions are actively being researched by mathematicians.