Generalising theta transformation formula from 1-d to m-d

In summary: Last edited: Jul 2, 2016In summary, the given conversation discusses the theta series and its transformation formula in 1-d, which is proven using the Poisson summation formula and the Fourier transform of a Gaussian. The conversation then moves on to generalizing this formula to the m-d case, where a positive-definite matrix A is introduced. It is mentioned that this matrix can be written as U^T U, where U is an upper-triangular matrix with positive numbers along the diagonal. This allows for the substitution of x^t x for x in the Gaussian result, which leads to the desired formula and follows from the Po
binbagsss

Homework Statement

For the theta series given by : ##\theta(t) = \sum\limits_{n\in Z} e^{2\pi i n^2 t} ## in 1-d there is the transformation formula:

##\theta(-1/4t)=\sqrt{-2it\theta(t)}##

To prove this one uses the fact that this theta function is holomorphic and so by Riemann theorem it is sufficient to prove this on one line only- let this line chosen be an imaginary line ##t=ib##, so need to show:

##\sum\limits_{n\in Z} e^{\frac{- \pi n^2} {2b}} = \sqrt{2b}\sum\limits_{n\in Z} e^{- 2 \pi b n ^{2}} ## [1]

The proof then follows from the Poisson summation formula and that the Fourier transform of a Gaussian returns itself when the Fourier transform is defined as, taking the function gaussian :

##F(e^{- \pi x^{2}})= \int\limits^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{- \pi x^{2}} e^{-2 i \pi xy } dx = e^{-\pi y ^2}## [2]

(And where the Poisson summation formula is ##\sum\limits_{n \in Z} F(f(n))=\sum\limits_{n \in Z} f(n) ##

and then take the Fourier transform of the LHS of [1] , and make the change of variables ##x'=x/(2b)^{1/2}## to make use of [2] shows

##F(e^{- \pi x^{2}/2b}) = \sqrt{2b} e^{- 2 \pi y^2 } ##

and then the result follows from the Poisson summation formula.

QUESTION

I want to generalise this to the m-d case where here the theta transformation formula is

##\theta(t,A)=\sum\limits_{x \in Z^m} e^{\pi i A[x] t} ##

where ##A[x] = x^t A x ##, ##x## a vector (sorry i don't know how to use vector notation)

Homework Equations

The Poisson summation formula and Fourier transform generalised from 1-d , as above, to m-d are obtained by sending ##\sum_{n \in Z} \to \sum_{n \in Z^m} ## for the Poisson summation and sending ##e^{-2 \pi i xy} \to e^{ -2 \pi i x^t y } ## in the Fourier transform

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So the proof is to follow the above really. Again proving on an imaginary line ##t=ib## so we then want to show :

##\sum_{x \in Z^m} e^{- \pi A[x] / b } = \frac{\sqrt{b}^{m}}{\sqrt{det A}} \sum_{x \in Z^{m}} e^{- \pi b A^{-1} [x] }##

So again the idea is to show that ##F(e^{- \pi A[x] / b }) = \frac{\sqrt{b}^{m}}{\sqrt{det A}} e^{- \pi b A^{-1} [x]} ###

and then result follows from the poisson.

So we have that [2] holds in m-d and again need a transform of variable.

MY QUESTION

This is where I am stuck , in order to make use of the Gaussian result I need to transform ## \frac{x^t A x}{t} \to x^t x ## , I am unsure how to do this since the ##x^t x ## compared to simply just ##x## is throwing me, and then secondly I am unsure of the general rules for substitution when a matrix ##A## is involved, that will give arise to the required ##det A## that is needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

For the theta series given by : ##\theta(t) = \sum\limits_{n\in Z} e^{2\pi i n^2 t} ## in 1-d there is the transformation formula:

##\theta(-1/4t)=\sqrt{-2it\theta(t)}##

To prove this one uses the fact that this theta function is holomorphic and so by Riemann theorem it is sufficient to prove this on one line only- let this line chosen be an imaginary line ##t=ib##, so need to show:

##\sum\limits_{n\in Z} e^{\frac{- \pi n^2} {2b}} = \sqrt{2b}\sum\limits_{n\in Z} e^{- 2 \pi b n ^{2}} ## [1]

The proof then follows from the Poisson summation formula and that the Fourier transform of a Gaussian returns itself when the Fourier transform is defined as, taking the function gaussian :

##F(e^{- \pi x^{2}})= \int\limits^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{- \pi x^{2}} e^{-2 i \pi xy } dx = e^{-\pi y ^2}## [2]

(And where the Poisson summation formula is ##\sum\limits_{n \in Z} F(f(n))=\sum\limits_{n \in Z} f(n) ##

and then take the Fourier transform of the LHS of [1] , and make the change of variables ##x'=x/(2b)^{1/2}## to make use of [2] shows

##F(e^{- \pi x^{2}/2b}) = \sqrt{2b} e^{- 2 \pi y^2 } ##

and then the result follows from the Poisson summation formula.

QUESTION

I want to generalise this to the m-d case where here the theta transformation formula is

##\theta(t,A)=\sum\limits_{x \in Z^m} e^{\pi i A[x] t} ##

where ##A[x] = x^t A x ##, ##x## a vector (sorry i don't know how to use vector notation)

Homework Equations

The Poisson summation formula and Fourier transform generalised from 1-d , as above, to m-d are obtained by sending ##\sum_{n \in Z} \to \sum_{n \in Z^m} ## for the Poisson summation and sending ##e^{-2 \pi i xy} \to e^{ -2 \pi i x^t y } ## in the Fourier transform

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So the proof is to follow the above really. Again proving on an imaginary line ##t=ib## so we then want to show :

##\sum_{x \in Z^m} e^{- \pi A[x] / b } = \frac{\sqrt{b}^{m}}{\sqrt{det A}} \sum_{x \in Z^{m}} e^{- \pi b A^{-1} [x] }##

So again the idea is to show that ##F(e^{- \pi A[x] / b }) = \frac{\sqrt{b}^{m}}{\sqrt{det A}} e^{- \pi b A^{-1} [x]} ###

and then result follows from the poisson.

So we have that [2] holds in m-d and again need a transform of variable.

MY QUESTION

This is where I am stuck , in order to make use of the Gaussian result I need to transform ## \frac{x^t A x}{t} \to x^t x ## , I am unsure how to do this since the ##x^t x ## compared to simply just ##x## is throwing me, and then secondly I am unsure of the general rules for substitution when a matrix ##A## is involved, that will give arise to the required ##det A## that is needed.

Your matrix ##A## had better be positive-definite, since otherwise your multi-dimensional version will not be a straight generalization of the one-d version.

So, if ##A## is positive-definite it can be written as ##A = U^T U##, where ##U## is an upper-triangular matrix with positive numbers along the diagonal; in fact for large ##n##, using the algorithm to compute ##U## is the best way to actually test for positive-definiteness of ##A## (avoiding all the usual determinant tests, etc.) See, eg, Choleski Factorization or Choleski's Algorithm; this is so straightforward that I once programmed it on an HP calculator to handle matrices up to ##8 \times 8##.

There are other ways to represent a positive-definite ##A## as a "square" of other another matrix, but the Choleski method is most convenient when you want to write ##x^T A x## as a sum of squares: ##x^T A x = (Ux)^T Ux = \sum_{i=1}^n u_i(x)^2## where ##u_i(x)= \sum_{j=i}^n u_{ij} x_j##.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Your matrix ##A## had better be positive-definite, since otherwise your multi-dimensional version will not be a straight generalization of the one-d version.

So, if ##A## is positive-definite it can be written as ##A = U^T U##, where ##U## is an upper-triangular matrix with positive numbers along the diagonal; in fact for large ##n##, using the algorithm to compute ##U## is the best way to actually test for positive-definiteness of ##A## (avoiding all the usual determinant tests, etc.) See, eg, Choleski Factorization or Choleski's Algorithm; this is so straightforward that I once programmed it on an HP calculator to handle matrices up to ##8 \times 8##.

There are other ways to represent a positive-definite ##A## as a "square" of other another matrix, but the Choleski method is most convenient when you want to write ##x^T A x## as a sum of squares: ##x^T A x = (Ux)^T Ux = \sum_{i=1}^n u_i(x)^2## where ##u_i(x)= \sum_{j=i}^n u_{ij} x_j##.

okay thanks,
however I am still unsure what to do next with this...
possible more hint anyone?

Okay , so because ## A## is symmetric it can be diaganolised in the form ## P \Lambda P^{T}##, ##P## the eigenvectors, chosen orthonormally, and ##\Lambda## the eigenvalue matrix , and because it is positive definite all eigenvalues are ## \geq 0 ## .

Now if I let ##B=P \sqrt{\Lambda } P^{T}##, then ##B^{2}=A##, I can make the substitution ##y=Bx## and then

## x=B^{-1}y ##

So ##x^{T}Ax/b = (B^{-1}y)^{T}B^2(B^{-1}y)/b ##

##= y^{T}(B^{-1})^{T}BBB^{-1}y/b ##

MY QUESTION

This gives me the substitution I need, but I am unsure of the 'substitution rule'- change of variables in the integral,

of what ##dx ## will go to in terms of ##B ## and ##dy ##on making the substituion##y=Bx ##I have never came across a subsitution like this with matrices, and am struggling to find anything online?

Can anyone help out, or a link to some good notes to look at or anything?

Many thanks

1. What is the theta transformation formula?

The theta transformation formula is a mathematical formula used in statistics to generalize data from one-dimensional (1-d) to multi-dimensional (m-d) space. It is used to transform data in a way that allows for easier analysis and interpretation.

2. Why is it important to generalize the theta transformation formula from 1-d to m-d?

Generalizing the theta transformation formula from 1-d to m-d is important because it allows for the analysis of data in higher dimensions, which can provide more insights and a deeper understanding of the data. It also allows for the application of the formula to a wider range of data sets.

3. How does the theta transformation formula work?

The theta transformation formula works by transforming the original data points into a new set of data points that are easier to analyze in multi-dimensional space. This is achieved by applying a transformation matrix to the original data points, which results in a new set of data points that are more spread out and easier to analyze.

4. What are the limitations of generalizing the theta transformation formula from 1-d to m-d?

One limitation of generalizing the theta transformation formula from 1-d to m-d is that it can become more complex and difficult to interpret as the number of dimensions increases. Another limitation is that some data sets may not be suitable for the transformation, and the results may not be accurate or meaningful.

5. How can the theta transformation formula be applied in real-world scenarios?

The theta transformation formula can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as data analysis in fields like economics, finance, and engineering. It can also be used in machine learning and data mining to analyze and interpret multi-dimensional data sets. Additionally, it can be applied in research studies to better understand complex data patterns and relationships.