Generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces

In summary, the generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces states that for $m=n+3$ and a b-metric $d$, we can prove that $d(x_n,x_{n+3})\le sd(x_n,x_{n+1})+s^2d(x_{n+1},x_{n+2})+s^3d(x_{n+2},x_{n+3})$. This can be extended to a generic $m>n$ using induction and the formula $d(x_n,x_m)\le sd(x_n,x_{n+1})+s^2d(x_{n+1},x_{n+2})+...+s^{m-n}d(x
ozkan12
How is the generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces ? I find something...But I wonder your opinion...Thank you for your attention...

Especially if you write for n,m>0 m>n $d({x}_{n},{x}_{m})$$\le$..... I will be happy...

Physics news on Phys.org
ozkan12 said:
How is the generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces ? I find something...But I wonder your opinion...Thank you for your attention... Especially if you write for n,m>0 m>n $d({x}_{n},{x}_{m})$$\le$..... I will be happy...
Suppose $m=n+3,$ and $d$ a $b-$metric. Then you'll easily prove
$$d(x_n,x_{n+3})\le\ldots\le sd(x_n,x_{n+1})+s^2d(x_{n+1},x_{n+2})+s^2d(x_{n+2},x_{n+3}).$$ But $s\ge 1\Rightarrow s^3\ge s^2,$ so we can write
$$d(x_n,x_{n+3})\le\ldots\le sd(x_n,x_{n+1})+s^2d(x_{n+1},x_{n+2})+s^3d(x_{n+2},x_{n+3}).$$ Now, you can find a simple formula for a generic $m>n,$ easily proved by inducction.

Dear professor

I find this...İs this true ?

$d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{m}\right)$$\le$$sd\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)$+${s}^{2}d\left({x}_{n+1},{x}_{n+2}\right)$+...+${s}^{n-m}d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{m}\right)$

ozkan12 said:
Dear professor I find this...İs this true ?
$d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{m}\right)$$\le$$sd\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)$+${s}^{2}d\left({x}_{n+1},{x}_{n+2}\right)$+...+${s}^{n-m}d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{m}\right)$
It should be (I suppose your $n-m$ is a typo): $$d\left({x}_{n},{x}_{m}\right)\le sd\left({x}_{n},{x}_{n+1}\right)+{s}^{2}d\left({x}_{n+1},{x}_{n+2}\right)+\cdots+{s}^{m-n}d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{m}\right).$$

Related to Generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces

1. What is a generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces?

A generalized triangle inequality in b-metric spaces is a condition that measures the distance between three points in a b-metric space. It states that the distance between any two points is always less than or equal to the sum of the distances between each point and a third point.

2. How is the generalized triangle inequality different from the standard triangle inequality?

The generalized triangle inequality is a more general version of the standard triangle inequality, which only applies to metric spaces. In b-metric spaces, the distance between two points can be calculated using multiple metrics, while in metric spaces there is only one metric that is used to calculate distances.

3. What is the significance of the generalized triangle inequality in mathematics?

The generalized triangle inequality is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to define distances in b-metric spaces, which are more flexible and can be applied to a wider range of problems than metric spaces. It also helps us to prove the convergence of sequences in b-metric spaces.

4. Can the generalized triangle inequality be extended to n-points?

Yes, the generalized triangle inequality can be extended to n-points, where n is any positive integer. This is known as the generalized n-point inequality and it states that the distance between any two points is always less than or equal to the sum of the distances between each point and the remaining n-1 points.

5. How is the generalized triangle inequality used in real-world applications?

The generalized triangle inequality has various applications in fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics. It is used in optimization problems, data analysis, and image processing, among others. It also plays a crucial role in the study of Banach and Hilbert spaces, which are fundamental mathematical structures used in many areas of science and engineering.